Login

russian armor

Spotting scope and Hull down

28 Dec 2014, 02:57 AM

Anyone got good use out of these abilities?
Also what is the exact boost of spotting scope in range?
Hulld own seems to give excellent stats..why is it so underused?
28 Dec 2014, 03:59 AM
Patrion 14

1v1 favors mobility and quickly responding (and crushing) threats much more than the static play spotting scope and hull down provides. Not to say these abilities are "bad," but they don't fit in the meta very well and so don't get used much.

I know a scout car with spotting scope on vet 2 and 3 can see very far, which is very useful. And while hull down did get a stat boost awhile back, the fact you need to keep a tank immobile makes it hard to use properly: the tank is a good portion of your army power that is now just sitting there for the enemy to deal with.
- You can basically sit an MG in the same zone to cover it for a much cheaper cost than a tank.

These abilities can certainly get creative and effective use, but it's just harder to pull off than the other strategies.
28 Dec 2014, 04:20 AM

Hull down I don't know what it gives. Spotting Scopes on the other hand increase vision by 90-95 percent, and are really great. Normal vehicles go from 35 sight to around 68 sight, and Recon vehicles (just the 222) go from 50 sight to nearly 100 sight. Vet 2 222's actually have closer to 134 sight, the longest of any unit in the game and practically a maphack.
28 Dec 2014, 04:24 AM
Patrion 28

hulldown is really good with Vs and command IVs for holding areas. not much good on anything else. it's particularly good with smoke because you can pop smoke to leave the defilade.
28 Dec 2014, 04:31 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Spotting scope: Elephant and 222 (specially if vet). You'll get cheap "maphack".
Basically, a 2v2+ type of ability.

Hulldown: use it on a Panther and basically enjoy a more resilient pak40.
28 Dec 2014, 05:01 AM
Developer Relic Badge

Hull Down works on certain maps where mobility is less useful and allows you to cover points while making it difficult for AT units to get in position. At the same time, those maps are not particularly nice for Ostheer. Still a hulled down Panther can actually kill things since its reload because somewhat bearable.

May also be the commander they're in. Neither of them have heavy call-in tanks which are Ostheer's go to versus Soviet call-ins and USF in general. Still and command tank hulled down can be pretty funny in the amount of punishment it can take combined with smoke.

Spotting scopes are pretty good on open maps in preparing for attacks or seeing the coming. I just wish Mechanized was back to its old glory with the LEfH.
28 Dec 2014, 07:45 AM

Hull down is very powerful ability Try using it with a Ostwind you will find the results pretty humorous. its also very strong on cmd tank.

28 Dec 2014, 12:39 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

28 Dec 2014, 12:40 PM

Spotting Scope = God, an always upgrade on every vehicle for me.
Hull down = useless, get your tank inmobile for a second, watch it get destroyed by B4's or ISU's or god knows what, lol.
28 Dec 2014, 12:48 PM
Donator 33

Hulldown gives 35% more range and 35% faster reload, ostwind with possible VET 3 and hulldown is a autocannon
28 Dec 2014, 16:02 PM
Patrion 14

is there a doctrine with both abilities?

i heard from old relic/pquemish stream that hull down panther has 62 range.
28 Dec 2014, 18:12 PM

The range bonus with hull down is 25%, don't know about reload.
28 Dec 2014, 18:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Dec 2014, 12:48 PMATCF
Hulldown gives 35% more range and 35% faster reload, ostwind with possible VET 3 and hulldown is a autocannon

It basically becomes a Schwer that you can target things with and doesn't shoot the ground as often.
28 Dec 2014, 18:45 PM

I think one problem with hulldown is also it has to be built by units.
If a tank could hull down on its own it would be much more used i think.Of course there would be a cooldown and and u couldn't suddenly hull down in combat or in sight of an enemy unit.
Hulldown stats are 25% less dmg,20% less reload and 25% range i think.
28 Dec 2014, 18:47 PM

Does spotting scope just increase the LOS or also the range of the gun.Meaning a scoped panther will it also have more than 50 range on its gun?
28 Dec 2014, 18:56 PM

I think the scope is pretty great, the problem is that it's limited to what? 1 - 2 doctrines?
28 Dec 2014, 21:48 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Does spotting scope just increase the LOS or also the range of the gun.Meaning a scoped panther will it also have more than 50 range on its gun?

Spotting scope, just sigh and when still.
28 Dec 2014, 21:54 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Hull down is in:

Defensive

Trenches, Tank Trap, PAK 43, Sector Artillery

Festung Armour

Panzer Tactician, Command Tank, PAK 43, Railway Artillery

Fortified Armour

Tactician, Recon, Command Tank, Elephant

Neither of the first fit in the current meta very well, and if you want elephants you will generally go Jaeger Armour to counter B4

Scopes are in:

Mechanised

Mech Gren Group, Smoke Bombs, Command Tank, LFH18

Jaeger Armour

Heavy AT Mine, Recon, Stuka Bomb, Elefant

Only the last of these tends to see any use these days
29 Dec 2014, 00:31 AM

I think one problem with hulldown is also it has to be built by units.
If a tank could hull down on its own it would be much more used i think.Of course there would be a cooldown and and u couldn't suddenly hull down in combat or in sight of an enemy unit.

British Tanks in CoH1 had self-hulldown but that just made them plop it as soon as they entered combat.

Self-hulldown could work in CoH2 if it was only activatable out of combat, and disabled weapons until completed.
29 Dec 2014, 03:19 AM

Hulldown gives atleast 35% damage reduction, I am pretty sure.
Also the increased range and faster reload. It was also changed to be usefull on Ostwinds so that they get the same DPS increase.

My biggest problem with it was always that it wasn't very good for Stugs, because it really limits their firing arc.

Also, if the enemy gets artillery, you can forget it. (Not even because of the tanks, but the support mgs/bunkers/both paks/pioneers will be killed.)

I honestly like it most on Ostwinds to defend VPs. They can sit further back, and really destroy infantry before they can cap under fire. And they can tank 2 hits of fire, while still killing infantry before backing off.

But if the enemy goes somewhere else, it is useless for you and costs you time. So my strategy is the big Pak to cover the center VP, 1-2 Ostwinds to defend it/drive to the outer VPs. On the right maps, the Pak covers enough to allow the Ostwinds a save retreat. 1 Ostwind with hulldown on the middle VP, one Ostwind on the VP where the enemy has no tanks. If I notice his at guns I can try to get them with both.
Basically you bleed the enemy infantry while holding off his tanks with the PAK. And because of the increased DPS and defense and range, its easyer to kill the enemy infantry before they can threaten the Pak/spot for the Tanks.

But yeah it only works against the right enemys, and the right builds and situations. In general it is just not worth it to go for the commander, when you could get Tigers )=
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★