Login

russian armor

M36- badly underpowered?

PAGES (11)down
8 Dec 2014, 16:37 PM

From what I understand, the 3 jackson idea is more for larger teamgames. In a 2vs2 or a 1vs1, 3 jackson is just asking to throw the game. I would recommend 1-2 Jacksons + 2 Shermans or 2 M8 scotts + 1 Sherman + 1 Jackson. I find that lategame it may be worth your money to buy a new m20 to lay mines, as a crippled panther means that your armor will have a much easier time taking advantage of their range. Noone expects an m20 lategame, so try to mine in areas that he will have no sight on you, and keep the m20 decrewed in base when its not being used (though you can use it to harass lone capping squads if you wish).

2 kiting shermans will munch any volks blob, regardless of unit numbers (within reason).

Usually if I am facing heavy tanks in 1v1 I go with a Single Jackson because having more then one hurts you hard in AI and the upkeep is terrible.

I also keep the Jackson uncrewed at base until its time to bring it up. Shermans are great tanks but not cost effective against Ostheer Tigers that are supported by Paks. Its very very easy to lose them and they cant fire from a safe distance. Further RNG can screw you over and you could lose some of your Shermans without a Tiger kill even with as many as Three trying to kill the thing. Gotta remember that although a better tank the Pen on the Sherman is the same as a T34/76.

I think the Tiger and the Heavies arent as much as a problem as the Panther for OKW though (in 1v1). Because it pretty much invalidates your Jackson and any other armor due to its massive Armor and HPs. It also delays your Vet due to high bounces.

To deal with Blobs I agree M8 is wonderful. Two is even better. The M8 more then anything rewards USF micro the most. The Jackson does against Mediums but not against Panther and up. Its more of a deterrent then anything else. And once again back to the Panther since its faster then the Jackson and it gets Blitz at Vet 1 it is especially aggravating further reducing your ability to get a kill with your Jackson.

I would say that I have killed more Tigers with the Jackson then I have managed to kill OKW Panthers with it.

I would like changes to it as well. Even if a cost increase was involved. Simply because its the APEX unit of USF. I like the idea of less damage but better Pen as this would result in getting vet faster to make it more rewarding to use.
9 Dec 2014, 22:15 PM

I have something crazy for You.
36min, 3 Jacksons vs 1 Panther. Just check it :drool::drool:

10 Dec 2014, 08:30 AM
Patrion 28

if you're having problems with obers and you went t1 then get a pair of brownings and keep them back. once you see the obers set them up facing the obers. you can't do shit against obers with any other infantry except paras and grenades against idiots. if you went t2 then build M8s, either the scott or the greyhound. your last option is M4s. other than that you are SoL.
10 Dec 2014, 17:02 PM

Give it ability to spot for itself, increase armor. Less rng on this unit.
10 Dec 2014, 22:36 PM

The faction balance of USF vs OKW is what makes me really unable to enjoy the USF to begin with.

Once they have obers your rifles are basically useless, once they get a panther your M36 is basically useless.

Obviously in practice the skill gap changes that balance, but time and time again I watch as the USF just gets stream rolled late game by manpower bleed on their now useless infantry, is unable to field enough of that infantry due to pop cap, and their "tank destroyers" get outclassed by panthers and up. Even dealing with jadgpanthers is a nightmare due to it's high armor,health, and high vet potential.

I don't understand what the USF has going for it. The units are weaker than German and Soviet counterparts and have huge crippling pop cap costs. The tech structure serves to enfeedble you by bleeding you once you reach the late game, and while officers are fun, I would much rather have more units.

This is mainly why I stick with the Soviets and find much more success with the SU-85 and IS-2.
10 Dec 2014, 22:43 PM
Patrion 28

riflemen are stronger than cons or volks and about on par with lmg grens and spios. obers are the only serious outlier .
10 Dec 2014, 23:11 PM

Yeah for 280MP Riflemen are are superior to 240 Conscripts and Grenadiers. They are slightly to 270 Penals at mid range and beyond, and to 280 Assault Grenadiers also at longer ranges.
11 Dec 2014, 04:26 AM

Rifles are really decent infantry, 'nough said.

The real weakness of the USF lies in their anti-armor capabilities, which combined with the ungodly accuracy of shreks gives the Germans a huge advantage.

Just my two cents.

Also the M36 needs a buff #thread
11 Dec 2014, 08:02 AM
Patrion 28

it's 2 fold.

obers really are a problem for US as the only infantry they have that can fight them are M2s, paras, and m1919s. obers make infantry that isn't one of those close to useless and a HUGE mp drain on a mp starved faction.

US's limited and low penning AT options are another problem and the two exacerbate each other.
16 Dec 2014, 01:12 AM

The faction balance of USF vs OKW is what makes me really unable to enjoy the USF to begin with.

Once they have obers your rifles are basically useless, once they get a panther your M36 is basically useless.

Pretty much as USA you got out-skilled by OKW because he made the obers/Panther.

Because, you know, if the USA ever got something along the line of the obers or the Panther (lolohwaitEasy8beforeprice) all the Axis players would be crying bloody OP.
16 Dec 2014, 06:19 AM

210 posts so i have no idea if somebody has said this before.

Just a quick "workaround" for jacksons.

Usually (for me at least) I don't need a jackson as my first tank. I usually get an M8 Scott as my first build of T4. The scott then proceeds to murk infantry and be generally awesome. Used aggressively, it will have a fair amount of vet by the time I get a jackson out. Then I swap crews since the jackson really needs HVAP and the scott is good at vet0. If I build a 2nd jackson, I do this again.

Balance comment: penetration up, damage down. I'm fine losing a 1 on 1 fight to a panther, it's an expensive beast and deserves to be king of the medium tanks, but i'd like to consistently do some damage when it chases me down the map.
16 Dec 2014, 10:12 AM

Have you guys tried to use the Jackson as another TD? 'Cause that thing is a BEAST.
-Crew can repair it
-Better pen at distance than SU, but with a turret
-Most agile TD
-Vet 1 hability
3 Feb 2015, 18:21 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Dec 2014, 10:12 AMB4Z00K4
Have you guys tried to use the Jackson as another TD? 'Cause that thing is a BEAST.
-Crew can repair it
-Most TD
-Vet 1 hability

It has worse pen at range than the SU85. Someone a few pages ago posted the stat comparisons, and the M36 sucks. Also maneuverability means nothing when a panther is more maneuverable than you
4 Feb 2015, 11:04 AM

M36 should have "user experience may vary" disclaimer in the tooltip. As many pointed out it's very inconsistent. When positioned correctly and with some favors from RNGod it's beastly. When map or situation forces it out of favored range and you get miss/deflect on 2 consecutive shots AND THEN you get stuck on something when reversing AND that blitzing Panther just hit you twice it feels like complete POS.

Basically that's why opinions are so far apart here I think. It's similar to 120mm mortar and M8 Scott in that respect, because sometimes it feels like overperforming, and sometimes like utter garbage.
4 Feb 2015, 12:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Dec 2014, 10:12 AMB4Z00K4
-Crew can repair it
-Most agile TD
-Vet 1 hability

..and thinn like shit, unteroffizier. :D
PAGES (11)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L