Login

russian armor

Why are Rear Echelon Troops so terrible?

3 Dec 2014, 00:32 AM

Unless they have a BAR they have to run from everything including Pioneers and essentially do no damage to anything. They can't lay mines, have no flamer upgrade and volley fire does nothing unless they decide to stand in place for about 5 seconds.

There is a reason why the standard build order of USF is 3+ Riflemen every single game.
3 Dec 2014, 00:40 AM

Because they're a 4-man 160 manpower squad, they're the cheapest unit in the game. Up close they have higher DPS than Combat Engineers, and they have the ability to be upgraded to BAR, Bazooka, or M1919.
3 Dec 2014, 00:45 AM

http://www.coh2.org/replay/27596/rear-echo-play-w-arty
http://www.coh2.org/replay/27334/mechanized-re
I don't know, they seem pretty great to me, just hug cover the best you can and focus fire, use fighting holes offensively.

The backbone of the army Bulletin really helps tho. (Four RE opening).
3 Dec 2014, 00:50 AM

My BO is always start with 4 RE opening to rifles. With rifle company, the rifle callin times perfectly and with airborne sometimes i'll just go 3 RE opening instead but usually still go 4. You get a lot of early map presence if you want to spread out or firepower if you send them all together with this opening.
3 Dec 2014, 01:01 AM

Can't say i'm a USF player by any stretch of the imagination, but they do a job of being cheap cappers who very occasionally can use their volley fire. Don't forget to build tank traps as green cover either, good habit to get into.

But yeah, they are currently cappers, and damn good one's at that job. Not much more to them, cept that the fighting pit ain't bad either for its cost.
3 Dec 2014, 01:13 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

rear echelon troops are very versatile for their cost. I think they are surprisingly well balanced.
3 Dec 2014, 01:15 AM

Permanently Banned
Rear Echelons preform well for their cost. Stick em in a well-placed fighting position and in 3v3/4v4 they will get vet2 super fast.
3 Dec 2014, 01:42 AM

because they are not ???
3 Dec 2014, 02:03 AM
Patrion 27

I think all builder units should be able to holster their flamethrower or mine sweeper, repair faster with a mine sweeper, move unimpeded in heavy terrain, build some sort of mine and salvage vehicles and abandoned weapons.

Right now only Sturmpioneers can do all of these things ON TOP of getting healing packs at vet 1 and stun grenades at vet 3. Their DPS and excellent repair speed make them delightfully strong and give me a sad face any time I have to use another faction's builder.
3 Dec 2014, 03:18 AM

A well placed fighting position early in game can hold territory with minimal support. If it gets flanked you can always pop volley fire the closer the flankers get faster they get suppressed. (Place fighting position behind shot blockers so REs can lob the grenades while your Rifles close in).

RE can build Tanktraps that no other faction unit can build without a doctrine its the best Green cover available early in game. construct tank traps while capping so if you are caught by say strum pioneers you can pop volley fire from tank trap green cover, you will not loose any models in green cover when strummis close in.

2 squad of REs can repair a vehicles really fast. my standard opening these days is RF+RF+RE+Fighting position
3 Dec 2014, 20:05 PM

I love RE troops, volley fire is probably the most loved ability for engineer class.
5 Dec 2014, 13:21 PM

I would trade anytime that volley fire for ability to lay 30 muni mines like every other starting unit in the game.
5 Dec 2014, 13:46 PM

Because they're supposed to be a capper, builder, support unit. I still prefer them to the useless soviet combat engineers. Remember that "volley fire" gives them an incredible useful support ability compared to Pioneers or Combat Engineers who lack any.

"Rear echelon troops were often cooks, chaplains, clerical staff, maintenance or quartermaster troops, armorers, stevedores, and military police. Typically they would not often see active combat, but cut off by the Germans from the rest of the army they often found themselves having to join the frontline soldier in combat."

RE are fine. Although, seeing they are cooks they should get a bulletin "Flambed SauerKraut Recipe"; RE squads deal 10% more flamethrower damage, so they can better cook those krauts when they steal one.
5 Dec 2014, 14:32 PM

I'd love them to be more accurate on close range, but they don't really need more then that.

Maybe buffing volley by tanking rec acc modifier that makes absolutely no sense.
Vaz
5 Dec 2014, 17:47 PM

I think the main answer your looking for here is the extra received accuracy they take. It's something like 1.25 (25% more). This results in them getting killed pretty fucking fast. Paired with sub-par accuracy they become worse than conscripts, but just by a little. If your not in cover with these guys, they are likely going to be completely worthless.
5 Dec 2014, 18:35 PM

Rear echlon can be really good AT squad, very cheap and they reach vet 2 really fast with bazookas. And than they got 5 man.
Vaz
5 Dec 2014, 18:57 PM

The ONLY benefit of RE squad, is 1 pop. Maybe volley fire if you can micro it well. The real reason though, is for that 1 pop. You can use them to fight, but they just aren't as good as other higher pop options.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 32
United States 2
South Africa 1
unknown 8

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %