Login

russian armor

Can we agree something needs to change on explosives

4 Nov 2014, 16:46 PM

I built 2 HM-38 120mm mortars in a 3v3 team game, and I scored 49 and 52 kills respectively on Lanzerath Ambush a couple days ago. Every time my wehr opponents grenadiers would stop to fire lmgs they would die like flies. I can post replay if necessary...

last night I was in 2v2 on semoisky and SU opponent built 2 HM-38's and USF opponent built 2 M8 scott howitzers in mid game once his ally had guards/zis combo up to stop my vehicles from darting in and destroying them. My grenadier lmgs dropped so fast it wasnt even funny...i tried avoid heavy cover to avoid clumping up but then my grens melted to the usf inf onslaught.

Granted, everyone is affected by new squad tight clumping but the grens are hurt the most because they need lmgs to be viable as game progress, and once you get the lmg you have to be stationary to use it so you are mortar/howitzer food...at least with okw you have sturms that can always be on move, SU has cons, penals, shocks and usf has...well everything. My only move would be to get PGs which I did but they are so freaking expensive.

If that wasn't bad enough, usf got a 105mm sherman and started 1 shotting 3 and 4 man squads at almost every opportunity. And no I didn't blob my units at all...but each squad packs themselves so tightly they are basically always in danger of being annihilated by any type of explosive round even when the squads are full health and 4 men still.

I like the new cover system in that it fixed units being next to green cover and not taking it even after several clicks but I hate how powerful explosives have become due to the same system.

Is relic aware of how powerful this is now?

One last thing, in that semoisky game when it was all over but the crying, i was messing around and used rifle nade to fire on a full health guards squad at the stone wall by our base...entire squad went down! that is ridiculous.

/rant over
4 Nov 2014, 19:09 PM

Well the riflenade oneshotting things is not new. Daggum squads clumping up have been with us for quite some time.

If stuff really whipes that regularly, yeah I reckon something needs to change. Lower damage would be my pick, since too small of AOE's just means shots miss and don't do anything.

OTOH grens with LMG's being less viable is something I will always endorse. Wehr has the easiest access to a variety of units and I think it's stupid as hell that one of their strongest strategies should involve just building one type of thing.
4 Nov 2014, 20:10 PM
Patrion 28

all of the soviet strategies involve building lots of one type of unit. same with the US strategies. several OKW strategies work that way. it's just the way the game is designed and (not) balanced.
4 Nov 2014, 20:38 PM

Guess what, Axis explosives wipe just as well. New cover system has effected everyone, it just appears to have been worse for Axis because Soviets have always relied upon such units to beat superior units. Hence the wide reliance on weapons teams, mines, demos, Zis barrage, and other high explosive attacks.

Here is a list of Axis units doing the same:
StugE
P4
mortar
rifle grenades
pgren bundle grenades
assault gren grenades
mortar halftrack
brumbar
Panzerwerfer
stuka fuss
infantry support gun
TigerI
sturm tiger
4 Nov 2014, 21:08 PM

To be fair the Sturmtiger better fucking well wipe a squad that isn't actively trying to avoid it. It only takes 4 seconds to fire and a minute to reload.
4 Nov 2014, 21:59 PM

To be fair the Sturmtiger better fucking well wipe a squad that isn't actively trying to avoid it. It only takes 4 seconds to fire and a minute to reload.

It is well fine it wipes whatever it hits, my point with this one is that the infantry grouping is to blame, the units not. Before infantry would spread out, many times even outside of cover. The new change makes infantry prone to getting in cover correctly, but that means the bunch more so your shell will have a much better chance of wiping (or in this case more models are clumped to be effected)
4 Nov 2014, 23:46 PM

Like Romeo said, the best option would be to make light cover give explosive resistance. Most grenades do 80 damage on the dot anyway (the standard health of a soldier), even a small reduction would go from wiping full health squads to dealing only severe health damage.
5 Nov 2014, 00:40 AM

They need two things:

Replicate how all explosive type weapons work in vcoh as closely as possible, arty, rockets, tank shots, nades, mines etc

And they need to make unitd fan out, expand and contract on movment like in vcoh. The distances between moving inanfty was like 3-4 time greater than in coh 2.

Do that and half the issues of the game disapear
5 Nov 2014, 02:23 AM

I built 2 HM-38 120mm mortars in a 3v3 team game, and I scored 49 and 52 kills respectively on Lanzerath Ambush a couple days ago. Every time my wehr opponents grenadiers would stop to fire lmgs they would die like flies. I can post replay if necessary...

last night I was in 2v2 on semoisky and SU opponent built 2 HM-38's and USF opponent built 2 M8 scott howitzers in mid game once his ally had guards/zis combo up to stop my vehicles from darting in and destroying them. My grenadier lmgs dropped so fast it wasnt even funny...i tried avoid heavy cover to avoid clumping up but then my grens melted to the usf inf onslaught.

Granted, everyone is affected by new squad tight clumping but the grens are hurt the most because they need lmgs to be viable as game progress, and once you get the lmg you have to be stationary to use it so you are mortar/howitzer food...at least with okw you have sturms that can always be on move, SU has cons, penals, shocks and usf has...well everything. My only move would be to get PGs which I did but they are so freaking expensive.

If that wasn't bad enough, usf got a 105mm sherman and started 1 shotting 3 and 4 man squads at almost every opportunity. And no I didn't blob my units at all...but each squad packs themselves so tightly they are basically always in danger of being annihilated by any type of explosive round even when the squads are full health and 4 men still.

I like the new cover system in that it fixed units being next to green cover and not taking it even after several clicks but I hate how powerful explosives have become due to the same system.

Is relic aware of how powerful this is now?

One last thing, in that semoisky game when it was all over but the crying, i was messing around and used rifle nade to fire on a full health guards squad at the stone wall by our base...entire squad went down! that is ridiculous.

/rant over

Ha ha ha serves you right you Axis fanboy. I'm so delight to see those A-move grens of yours be wiped out of the planet time after another, so much i just can't get enough of it :nahnah:
5 Nov 2014, 03:23 AM

Or even better, improve the AoE a bit and increase the scatter. No more consistent squad wipes.
5 Nov 2014, 04:01 AM

Wait, what were the cover changes last patch?
5 Nov 2014, 04:36 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Wait, what were the cover changes last patch?

If you haven't played the new patch yet, you will immediately notice that squads will "stick" to cover positions, and the entities will group up on cover much tighter and not stand in the open. So cover didn't really change, just unit spacing in cover and that makes explosives much more effective.
5 Nov 2014, 04:42 AM

I have played maybe 5 rounds on it and noticed many changes, didn't know cover had changed specifically. Pretty interesting.

I hate rifle grenades being used against me ;_;
5 Nov 2014, 05:20 AM

It'd be nice if squad leaders had a chance to survive a critical kill hit/lethal explosion. That way a stray explosive may not wipe an entire squad, but certainly cripple its combat ability. Being reduced to a sliver of health instead of outright dying means very little if it occurs whilst under fire, but it would mean the world for freak squad wipes. (Especially on the first shot.)
5 Nov 2014, 05:24 AM

I think things are fine. In 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4 with a general increase in the amount of explosive stuff flying around things will get a little crazier (but they always did in big team games) but as long as you keep an eye on your units you should be able to dodge things like rifle nade etc, and if you can't that's fine but you'll need to practice it to go up the rankings.

5 Nov 2014, 16:32 PM

5 Nov 2014, 19:20 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

@OP: replay please? or else it did not happen :)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★