Login

russian armor

IS-2 Secure Mode

22 Sep 2014, 21:23 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

This is the dumbest vet ability in the whole game. I think it would be soooo much better if it were a PASSIVE ability that is active all the time so the tank can also continue to fire while it caps some important contested point like center VP on minsk or crossing but tank some damage while it does so.

Even then it wouldn't be very good but at least it wouldn't be totally stupid.

I am referring just to the IS-2, I think it does make pretty good sense on T-70, T-34 I'm not so sure.
22 Sep 2014, 21:27 PM

I've been guilty of using this back in the day. Whoops.
22 Sep 2014, 21:29 PM

I personally find infantry tracking on AT guns and AT SPGs more dumb, but IS-2 secure mode is close 2nd.
And don't forget its also on KV-2 and KV-1, probably last 3 tanks in the game you would want to cap with.
22 Sep 2014, 21:35 PM

There should be a sticky list of useless abilities.

Speaking of which, has anyone tried creeping barrage lately?
22 Sep 2014, 21:35 PM

What would a captured USF IS2 do with capture mode?:snfCHVGame:
22 Sep 2014, 21:42 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

What would a captured USF IS2 do with capture mode?:snfCHVGame:

It's for lazy crews that don't feel like repairing the tank and raising the flag at same time.
22 Sep 2014, 21:50 PM

There should be a sticky list of useless abilities.

Speaking of which, has anyone tried creeping barrage lately?

Actually useful. It has next to no scatter when compared to the usual barrage, making it great to aim down the sides of OKW medic trucks/narrow roads.

You do have to pay munitions to get a useless, underpowered stuka barrage, but take what you can get.
22 Sep 2014, 21:57 PM

This is a bad ability, especially on a heavy tank like the IS2. Get rid of this!!!!
22 Sep 2014, 22:20 PM

Secure mode is fine for T34 and T70 but for the IS2 and KVs... meh Relic can put up something more interesting.
22 Sep 2014, 22:45 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Sep 2014, 22:20 PMkorgoth
Secure mode is fine for T34 and T70 but for the IS2 and KVs... meh Relic can put up something more interesting.

I'm still so disappointed that the Brummbar of all things got an artillery barrage whilst the KV-2 with its howitzer in the turret did not.
22 Sep 2014, 22:56 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 11

Secure Point is a joke to me. It's a Relic of a vet ability that was never inspired nor particularly useful.

It is perhaps an Easter egg, hidden by the Relic devs. A little gem of satire, meant to both make you laugh, and make you cry.
22 Sep 2014, 23:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Sep 2014, 22:56 PMOhme
Secure Point is a joke to me. It's a Relic of a vet ability that was never inspired nor particularly useful.

It is perhaps an Easter egg, hidden by the Relic devs. A little gem of satire, meant to both make you laugh, and make you cry.

I understood it... when T-34's were in that very short dev period when you could buy four for every PzIV. You could roll out masses of them and use them as extra durable capping units.

That was in the alpha. Those days are long, long gone.
22 Sep 2014, 23:06 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I made a thread not so long ago regarding the "useless" vet abilities
22 Sep 2014, 23:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Sep 2014, 21:23 PMRomeo
This is the dumbest vet ability in the whole game. I think it would be soooo much better if it were a PASSIVE ability that is active all the time so the tank can also continue to fire while it caps some important contested point like center VP on minsk or crossing but tank some damage while it does so.

Even then it wouldn't be very good but at least it wouldn't be totally stupid.

I am referring just to the IS-2, I think it does make pretty good sense on T-70, T-34 I'm not so sure.

yea man and even worse, its a kv2 ability. pisses me off how useless this crap is
22 Sep 2014, 23:19 PM

I can get secure mode on T-70s and T-34s. It's got an harrassment potential against an enemy with little mobile AT.

But if the best use you have for your 640 mp 230 fu ultra slow heavy tank is to have it do the job of an engie squad, well, either it's your first game, you are trolling or you are incredibly desperate. I suppose Tigers getting the almigthy Blitz is part of the balance between the two units, but I'd rather nerf the IS-2 a bit and give it a viable veteran ability.
22 Sep 2014, 23:24 PM

I can get secure mode on T-70s and T-34s. It's got an harrassment potential against an enemy with little mobile AT.

But if the best use you have for your 640 mp 230 fu ultra slow heavy tank is to have it do the job of an engie squad, well, either it's your first game, you are trolling or you are incredibly desperate. I suppose Tigers getting the almigthy Blitz is part of the balance between the two units, but I'd rather nerf the IS-2 a bit and give it a viable veteran ability.

To be fair, I did use it to extremely good effect. Once. In a 4v4, that was to the very last bullet, and I had zero infantry, and my opponent had a long pioneer squad left alive at the front. We were both down to about 10VP's, but I had an IS-2 left with a pittance of health.

Secure mode stopped decap (or was it force them off and capped a neutral? It was a long time ago, I forget), after all.

As a vet ability it's still an utter joke though.
22 Sep 2014, 23:31 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

They should let the IS-2 plant tripwire flares. If the German halftrack can plant Riegel AT mines, there should be no problem with this change.
22 Sep 2014, 23:32 PM

To be fair, I did use it to extremely good effect. Once. In a 4v4, that was to the very last bullet, and I had zero infantry, and my opponent had a long pioneer squad left alive at the front. We were both down to about 10VP's, but I had an IS-2 left with a pittance of health.

Secure mode stopped decap (or was it force them off and capped a neutral? It was a long time ago, I forget), after all.

As a vet ability it's still an utter joke though.

Well that fits the ''incredibly desperate'' part, no :D?

I mean, it doesn't even fit thematically. Capturing territory with a big stonking heavy tank? What next, give the King Tiger a cloak? Or give grenades to AT gun crws.
22 Sep 2014, 23:35 PM

Tripwire flare anyone?
22 Sep 2014, 23:35 PM
Patrion 15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqlpp1cv8sU#t=2516

IS-2 capping wins the game, ability justified, thread DEBUNKED plz lock MVGame
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L