Login

russian armor

Pathfinders

• This thread is locked
As airborne, do you incorporate Pathfinders into your build?
Option Distribution Votes
62%
38%
Total votes: 74
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
17 Sep 2014, 20:54 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

I used to think this unit was not worth it, but it feels a little more effective than before with all the changes to infantry, upgrades, and so on. Now I'm not so sure. What do other people think?
17 Sep 2014, 21:01 PM

I like the IR Pathfinders for the early barrage but not the regular pathfinders. The drop zone beacons are too easily spotted and destroyed and they cant reinforce the air dropped support weapons.

As a combat unit they are not spectacular for their cost.
17 Sep 2014, 21:12 PM
Patrion 27

Pathfinders can do some dirty work against Sturmpioneers and are great for hiding in camo with hold-fire to spot for less direct means of firepower. I think they should para-drop onto the battlefield or something though.
17 Sep 2014, 21:12 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

Pathfinders can do some dirty work against Sturmpioneers and are great for hiding in camo with hold-fire to spot for less direct means of firepower. I think they should para-drop onto the battlefield or something though.

or building pop out would be neat. But if it made them more expensive, no thanks.
17 Sep 2014, 21:18 PM

Voted no, but:

I use them in team games if I haven't bled manpower early on, because the maps are larger and I tend to have more airborne squads in them so the beacon reinforce is more valuable, and they are extremely good scouts if they do manage to survive to vet3.

I generally don't get them in 1vs1 unless I absolutely don't want 4 rifles and am still going captain+airborne. They just don't perform well enough in combat to warrant the 290mp, and the beacons are not that valuable when I only tend to have one airborne squad at most, though the vision is still nice.

I tend to feel the jaeger and pathfinder crit health threshold should be normalized, jaegers going down from their 0.75 and pathfinders going up from their 0.4. Jaegers have plenty of goodies to go for them anyway, all pathfinders have are beacons and their vet camo. Oh and I really think Pathfinders should be able to reinforce at beacons as well.
17 Sep 2014, 21:23 PM

I feel pathfinders are a waste of precious mp reserves. Their combat effectiveness is okay, but once they go up against Falls/Jaegers/Obers/Vetted Volks, they tend to get overwhelmed.
17 Sep 2014, 21:25 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

personally I think they should not have random sniper crit, and instead they should have some marksman ability like brit squad in coh1. Same for jaegers.
17 Sep 2014, 21:25 PM

If they popped out of buildings they would be perfect. Pathfinders were infiltration units, their job was to get in and get things ready for the rest of the paratrooper force.

Besides, it's a bit tiring that Axis has 3/4 of the game's infiltrators, and of all 4, the only allied infiltrator is completely combat ineffective against even Pioneers.
17 Sep 2014, 21:33 PM

So many are writing off this unit when it should not be.

I use them as part of my regular build.

They have excellent LOS and can scout for assaults. Sitting back of three rifle men they can pluck weak axis models off if micro'd well.

Can you bank your entire tactic off of this unit? No

Does it help? Yes. The combined arms in this case is completely worth it in my opinion.

That LOS and range bonus, doe.

Pathfinder
+5 sight range
-20% weapon cooldown -29% received accuracy
5 more weapon range +20% weapon accuracy gains same cloaking as german sniper
17 Sep 2014, 22:09 PM

Beacon + sight range is not worth 290MP in 1v1 to me, given their awful combat ability. JLI are just straight up better. Now those guys actually execute wounded models.
17 Sep 2014, 22:12 PM

Pathfinders with 3 BARs is love and life, it is so fun to watch them tear down any sort of infantry .

I find them very useful, depends on the opposition if i Get them out on 2cp or wait a little more.
17 Sep 2014, 22:15 PM

Pathfinders with 3 BARs is love and life, it is so fun to watch them tear down any sort of infantry .

I find them very useful, depends on the opposition if i Get them out on 2cp or wait a little more.

3 bars wut?
17 Sep 2014, 22:25 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Sep 2014, 22:15 PMdek0y

3 bars wut?

Ugh fill the squads up with as many BARs as you can ;)

I'll recommend it for having some fun on the battlefield, not That viable costwise.
17 Sep 2014, 22:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Sep 2014, 22:15 PMdek0y

3 bars wut?

He probably confused this thread with the one where people talk their coh2 dreams.
17 Sep 2014, 22:30 PM
Patrion 27

Being able to reinforce from beacons could be a pretty strong change IMO.
17 Sep 2014, 22:36 PM

When I tested them, they didn't seem terribly efficient. Which is a shame, they are basically the US snipers (that work only on already damaged units). In theory they work very well with the HMGs (finish off suppressed/damaged units, spot for the HMG), AT guns (spotting for max range) and airborne (automatic weapons push units below 40%, pathfinders finish them).

I think they'd be better if they were pushed a little more in the direction of snipers. No idea how to do that, maybe increase range and slightly increase the hp% needed for the critical and decrease their damage. Maybe make them come later for that and airbornes earlier (lock upgrades behind tech).
17 Sep 2014, 23:48 PM

Permanently Banned
I've used them in 2v2 and they're quite effective for scouting enemy positions early on and planning MG flanks and other defenses. Although I do think they should be a bit cheaper, either that or give them some cool ability other than being able to set up beacons, which in itself is quite useful, but not 290MP worth.
18 Sep 2014, 00:50 AM

The only semi-niche use I have for Pathfinders are for spotting Jacksons. I find the beacons not necessary because of the Ambulance. With proper attention given to the Ambulance, moving up the lines when the Germans are pushed back, or just plain driving it around, the mobile reinforce point already gives me all I need to aggressively maintain my pushes.
18 Sep 2014, 01:20 AM

i buy one, set it to hold fire. and just use it for scouting the zone just ahead of the frontline

I try to use the beacon sometimes just cause its free. though tbh i dont really get the benefit of it much. Itd be cool if you could paradrop in faster the closer the target zone is to the beacon. but just for tightening the drop radius there isnt much advantage.I think i might have purposefully used it one time ever to airdrop an at gun in an urban area of a map.

I think itd atleast help if pathfinders would also paradrop in like the rest of the commander abilities. Then you could use them for real scouting.
18 Sep 2014, 01:26 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Sep 2014, 21:25 PMRomeo
personally I think they should not have random sniper crit, and instead they should have some marksman ability like brit squad in coh1. Same for jaegers.

that was my idea u idea-stealer
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS