Login

russian armor

So... maxims...

15 Sep 2014, 12:34 PM

i doubt if two expeirenced players were up against eachother in a 1v1 that buying just maxims would event remotely work.

main infantry, mg teams, and mortars are basically rock, paper and scissors. If you have lots of rocks and the other person brings lots of paper thats going to be how it goes. bring scissors.

Thats how it should work but presently maxim spam isn't the strongest strat b/c that gets countered by volk spam #balance
15 Sep 2014, 13:22 PM

A 4 man team like the MG42 is very threatened by mortar fire, and if it keeps firing in the same spot is placing itself at risk of squadwipe from 1 lucky shell. In my opinion, this is appropriate. However, a Maxim team knows that it can take 1-2 mortar shots and keep fighting, and so isn't threatened in the same way. Similarly with snipers: a Maxim team can simply ignore a sniper for as long as it takes to win a single engagement (spotting for the sniper usually requires you to send a unit into the Maxim's range).

Is for that that axis mortars and snipers fire twice as fast.
Is faster to snipe a maxim with german sniper than snipe a MG42 with the soviet one.
Also, at vet 0 soviet mortar is way inferior to the axis one. Although it has a 6-men crew, it is very vulnerable to mortar fire and grenades because they're too cramped.

Do you want to end maxim/sniper spam? give soviets infantry options as currently they doesn't have one.
Nerfing maxims without buffing soviet infantry before will destroy all the little mirage of balance this game still have.

And yes, maxim spamming is boring as hell. You're mistaken if you thing that your enemy enjoys spamming a single unit time and time again.
15 Sep 2014, 13:53 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Sep 2014, 03:00 AMSierra
Just got out of a 1v1, faced a player who built a total of 20 MAXIMS, that's right a grand total of TWENTY DAMN MAXIMS!

It didn't relieve him of capping power, didn't even really stop him from being overall committed to and nearly winning the fight.

Nearly...

I still overcame him with the aid of a stuka, several brave Pumas, and a FlaK-Track. Some handy Sturmpioneer flanking micro, and of course the Jaeger Light Infantry and Volksgrenadiers to deal with his vehicles.

I even had to self destruct a medical HQ to so severely damage his SU-85 that I could finally take it out!

Now of course you ask "Why is this in the balance section, why are you telling us your life story?"

I will answer this, because there is clearly something broken in the game, where a Soviet player can mindlessly spam maxims and nearly win the game by a hair, especially if that Soviet player builds TWENTY MAXIMS in a single game.

It was only after I had killed off the last of his maxims on the map in a maxim double-kill that he was finally demoralized enough to quit playing.

But then, and only then, after much frustration and grief, and lack of fun could I finally overcome this tedious bastard.

If he will build Conscripts u can easily face him with Sturmpios or something. He can only go for Maxim spam.
And t0 Cons + Maxim is too ineffective. So where is the Problem? U beated him!!!
15 Sep 2014, 15:13 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I would like to see them remove the ability for team weapons to cap points, to reinforce their use as support units.
15 Sep 2014, 15:34 PM

How come there is maxim spam but no MG42 spam
15 Sep 2014, 15:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Sep 2014, 15:34 PMNinjaWJ
How come there is maxim spam but no MG42 spam

Because you have Gren's.
15 Sep 2014, 16:02 PM

Because the Mg42 is not as good as a maxim when it you want to use it to attack your enemy reason is simply that the maxim is more mobile,

thanks to its setup times, it can also be used in buildings and support an attack while the mg42 is a pure thing for defence it needs to be set up or it will be overrun in most cases and it always needs support and spoters,

the maxim does not it can counter flanking decently while an mg42 in most cases can only run and the 42 cant use buildings (wont get out there alive against things like satchels or take too much damage in the process of leaving which will kill it outside)

well if the mg42 would be as mobile as the maxim or even the m2 (which is actually even better then the maxim exept for its crew size)
we would also see it spamed more because you could use it for more then just defend a point (were the Mg42 in my opinion is not that good if your enemy knows what he has to do against it)
15 Sep 2014, 16:17 PM

Whats broken in this game is that there are people who produce 20 Maxims. I mean, wtf? This is not C&C, this is COH2. I know that it is a win button (or something like that) but common, how old is that guy? Or how childish? Or how stupid? I dont get it, where is the fun in making 20 Maxims?

I guess people will try everything to get a win. So LOW!!!!
15 Sep 2014, 16:20 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Sep 2014, 15:42 PMNapalm

Because you have Gren's.

I don't think so. While grens are good and better than Sov core inf, they're not the reason MG42s aren't being spammed. It's because of higher se-up times, lower damage and molotovs. These things make it impossible to do a Jellydonut/Vonivan 8-maxim strat.

I think it's good the MG42 can't be spammed. I just wish the Maxim couldn't either. Not because it's "OP", just because it's viable and makes the game goddamn boring!
15 Sep 2014, 16:26 PM

Whats broken in this game is that there are people who produce 20 Maxims. I mean, wtf? This is not C&C, this is COH2. I know that it is a win button (or something like that) but common, how old is that guy? Or how childish? Or how stupid? I dont get it, where is the fun in making 20 Maxims?

I guess people will try everything to get a win. So LOW!!!!

Against OKW the only alternative are snipers.
Which one do you prefer to be spammed with?
There are no other valid options with how weak soviet core infantry is and how it (doesn't) scale into late game.

Lets sum up something.
So far we have:

Snipers-cheeze
M3-cheeze
Shocks-cheeze
Guards-cheeze
Maxims-cheeze

So what do we have here?
A conclusion that axis wants to fight only against conscipts, penals and partisans.

Why?

Because they are horrible and you can a-move over them.

Guess, what, if everything is so cheezy and tough and inconvenient, then perhaps the problem doesn't lay in balance exclusively?

Inconvenient units doesn't equal to overpowered.

By the logic of this thread, allied players should spam the shit out of forums with nerf threads on all OKW infantry except volks and on wehr weapon upgrades(and I suppose stormtroopers now, because pgren squad with sniper camo was a good idea).
15 Sep 2014, 16:31 PM

Hello,

I didn´t read all the pages, but if Maxim or MG spam is that annoying why not turn down the capping rate of all MGs. This slows down the progress of MG only users and gives you more time to set up the appropriate counter before losing the whole map. Just a thought.
15 Sep 2014, 16:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Sep 2014, 16:31 PMButcher
Hello,

I didn´t read all the pages, but if Maxim or MG spam is that annoying why not turn down the capping rate of all MGs. This slows down the progress of MG only users and gives you more time to set up the appropriate counter before losing the whole map. Just a thought.

I actually like the idea. But it would only be fair if core soviet infantry was able to fight on its own, without requiring heavy sniper/maxim spam to be viable. I also do not like the idea to nerf the size of soviet's support weapon's teams to less than 6, as it is a faction feature. But overall, i agree that seeing a 20 maxim spam is rather disgusting, and a good indication that something should be changed.

Though i don't think that cons are THAT far away from being balanced: lifting the received accuracy debuff, and pumping their mid range fighting ability a bit would be a good step in the good direction (and probably all that is needed). Since the last patch, it seems grens are just shitting on conscripts at almost every range, with or without lmg42 upgraded.
15 Sep 2014, 17:19 PM

I don't play 1v1 or 2v2 so can't comment there, but in 3v3 and 4v4 maxims aren't that great really, they're so easily flanked they become a bit useless pretty quickly.

The huge arc on the german MG's are much more useful on 3v3 or 4v4.
15 Sep 2014, 17:26 PM

Send the Maxim the way of the .30 cal in vCoH--low suppression, but the bringer of death to anything that blunders into its arc of fire.

The vCoH .30cal was a DPS monster but was only meh for suppression--hence you supported them with BAR'd riflemen for extra lols.

Accepting that the Soviets won't be getting an equivalent any time soon, why not turn the Maxim into this?

I mean, hell, I already play the Soviets like the Americans as it is (Penal wall with Cons for merging, backed up by a ZiS wall). Just complete the circle, Relic. Just do it. :)
15 Sep 2014, 17:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Sep 2014, 16:26 PMKatitof

Against OKW the only alternative are snipers.
Which one do you prefer to be spammed with?
There are no other valid options with how weak soviet core infantry is and how it (doesn't) scale into late game.

Lets sum up something.
So far we have:

Snipers-cheeze
M3-cheeze
Shocks-cheeze
Guards-cheeze
Maxims-cheeze

So what do we have here?
A conclusion that axis wants to fight only against conscipts, penals and partisans.
Why?

Because they are horrible and you can a-move over them.

Guess, what, if everything is so cheezy and tough and inconvenient, then perhaps the problem doesn't like in balance exclusively?

Inconvenient units doesn't equal to overpowered.

By the logic of this thread, allied players should spam the shit out of forums with nerf threads on all OKW infantry except volks and on wehr weapon upgrades(and I suppose stormtroopers now, because pgren squad with sniper camo was a good idea).

This is absolutely brilliant (no sarcasm.).
15 Sep 2014, 17:39 PM

I don't think so. While grens are good and better than Sov core inf, they're not the reason MG42s aren't being spammed. It's because of higher se-up times, lower damage and molotovs. These things make it impossible to do a Jellydonut/Vonivan 8-maxim strat.

I think it's good the MG42 can't be spammed. I just wish the Maxim couldn't either. Not because it's "OP", just because it's viable and makes the game goddamn boring!

The long setup time + the painful reloads at the worst times + 4 man crews make the 42s bad on their own but great support weapons.
I would love to see the reload mechanic changed for the mg-42 in some way as it's currently very, very, VERY frustrating to properly micro your mg to turn and face an incoming flank in time only to have it fire half a burst, suppress nothing, start reloading and get naded.
15 Sep 2014, 21:13 PM

Permanently Banned
SOviet players are being to excite. Not ask for many changes, only suppression nerf and Durability decrease since way way to survivable...
15 Sep 2014, 21:30 PM

Maybe this is just in my admittedly not very competent matches, but I don't really see the issue with allied blobs at the moment. Playing as allies, my biggest frustration with random teammates is usually with people who move all their infantry in one group and then it gets suppressed and massacred, or worse, hit with a Stuka zu Fuss.

I myself blob very rarely and almost always regret it quickly.

So to me it feels like the axis anti-blob arsenal is pretty good. Feels fine playing with it and against it. These are rank ~2000 matches in 2v2 mode.
15 Sep 2014, 21:55 PM

Dear Sierra,
I likewise find the Maxim spam really cheesy, annoying and against the spirit of coh.
However as long the soviets don't have viable core units, they have to rely on Maxim Spam & Sniper spam.
When the core infantry issue is fixed, Relic will surely adapt maxims and snipers so they are only to be used as a supporter role.
In general I have the impression quite a few changes are ahead of us...binding call ins to teching and slowly tweaking core units of every faction (this patch, probably next patch too).
Relic stated this year they have a 5 year plan for coh2 and with the soon to come ESL ladders they surely want to have a polished, uncheesy game.
15 Sep 2014, 22:02 PM

Dear Sierra,
I likewise find the Maxim spam really cheesy, annoying and against the spirit of coh.
However as long the soviets don't have viable core units, they have to rely on Maxim Spam & Sniper spam.
When the core infantry issue is fixed, Relic will surely adapt maxims and snipers so they are only to be used as a supporter role.
In general I have the impression quite a few changes are ahead of us...binding call ins to teching and slowly tweaking core units of every faction (this patch, probably next patch too).
Relic stated this year they have a 5 year plan for coh2 and with the soon to come ESL ladders they surely want to have a polished, uncheesy game.

The problem is you cannot buff core infantry first without nerfing the maxim or snipers or shocks because then you would just have a superbuffed Soviet army. When those things are brought in line, then and only then will it be right to buff the core infantry.

But you also have to bear in mind that Soviet troops are not by core design, meant to be as efficient or deadly as German counterparts. The "Enemy at the Gates" vision that was originally implied in Beta should be maintained, because that's how they decided to build the game.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★