Login

russian armor

Is 5 ranks of vet for only one faction fair?

Is it fair that the OKW are the only faction that can have their units attain vet 5?
Option Distribution Votes
76%
24%
Total votes: 127
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
14 Sep 2014, 22:36 PM

Hi all.

I've been thinking about this a fair bit, and I was wondering why only the OKW are able to attain 5 levels of vet. If I get a rifle, script or gren to vet 3, why should I not be rewarded with another 2 levels of vet?

What makes the OKW a special case that they should be able to attain those levels? Are they far harder to play, so it's a special reward for those that micro their units well, or is it a flawed and unfair game mechanic for one faction?

If anybody has the time, could you list the vet reward for ranks 4 and 5 for the OKW units? I'm not sure where to get those stats.

Please discuss why or why not the OKW should be able to attain 5 levels of vet.

EDIT: If you vote, please add why or why not the OKW should be able to get vet 5.
14 Sep 2014, 22:48 PM
Donator 11

OKW cannot attain the numbers that the other factions can in terms of vehicles due to only having 2/3 the fuel. They also have a very limited selection of infantry and specialized vehicles.
14 Sep 2014, 22:52 PM

OKW cannot attain the numbers that the other factions can in terms of vehicles due to only having 2/3 the fuel.They also have a very limited selection of infantry and specialized vehicles.

Ok, so their vehicles should (maybe) be able to attain Vet 5, however, their vehicles are also very good, and their AT infantry is second to none, which kind of negates the need for more vehicles.

I'm not entirely sure the bolded part of your argument is entirely true...
14 Sep 2014, 22:59 PM

Permanently Banned
its fair
14 Sep 2014, 23:10 PM

OKW is hampered by a resource penalty. I feel the 5 levels of vet are fine. Since in most cases the units done get outright combat bonuses but rather things like self healing and sprint.
14 Sep 2014, 23:11 PM

They also have a very limited selection of infantry

OKW has the most diverse infantry in the game.

For combat infantry (including doctrines):

OKW
-Sturmpios
-Volks
-Obers
-Jaegers
-Falls
-Panzerfussiliers

Wehr
-Grens
-PGrens
-Stormtroopers
-Assault Grens

Soviet
-Conscripts
-Penals
-Guards
-Shocks

USF
-Rifles
-Assault Engies
-Paratroopers
-Pathfinders/I&R Pathfinders
14 Sep 2014, 23:13 PM

OKW cannot attain the numbers that the other factions can in terms of vehicles due to only having 2/3 the fuel. They also have a very limited selection of infantry and specialized vehicles.

More like 70% of the fuel with the lowest tech costs in the game. Will the penalty matter in the end? Sure. But if the game isn't 20 minutes in, you actually have more fuel available than other factions because your tech costs are the lowest in the game.

As for the second part, try "largest selection of infantry and specialized vehicles".

I don't think the vet5 thing is balanced on any level. The only reason it's not much of an issue is because the only units reaching vet5 regularly are volksgrenadiers.
14 Sep 2014, 23:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Sep 2014, 23:13 PMCruzz

More like 70% of the fuel with the lowest tech costs in the game. Will the penalty matter in the end? Sure. But if the game isn't 20 minutes in, you actually have more fuel available than other factions because your tech costs are the lowest in the game.

As for the second part, try "largest selection of infantry and specialized vehicles".

I don't think the vet5 thing is balanced on any level. The only reason it's not much of an issue is because the only units reaching vet5 regularly are volksgrenadiers.

Tell that to my STG44 Facemelting 8 min Obers of death :D

Edit:

That I reach Vet 4-5 with almost every game.
15 Sep 2014, 00:58 AM

Yes, it's fair because the faction was designed like that.

Issues related with that are a question of balance, but 5-vet levels are fine.
15 Sep 2014, 01:14 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Sep 2014, 00:58 AMGreeb
Yes, it's fair because the faction was designed like that.

Issues related with that are a question of balance, but 5-vet levels are fine.

I don't see why "because the faction was made like that" makes it fair. The T70 when it originally came out wasn't fair, yet that was how it was designed. The same could be said about the tiger ace, when it 1st came out.

I get there might be some balance issues with certain vet abilities, but, the OKW units will always have 2 more abilities on their vet 5 units then any other factions, regardless if they are minor, major, balanced or not.

As far as I understand, when the faction was designed, income was severely hard to come by, or you had to take big risks to get it. This is no longer the case. Therefore, does their current reduced income rate, warrant 5 veterancy levels when you consider:

Strength of infantry of the faction
Strength of vehicles/tanks
population costs when compared to other factions
low tech costs
free healing/repair/turret-AA bays
15 Sep 2014, 01:21 AM

Relic is simply not going to throw away 2 levels of vet on OKW units.
15 Sep 2014, 01:58 AM

I don't see why "because the faction was made like that" makes it fair. The T70 when it originally came out wasn't fair, yet that was how it was designed. The same could be said about the tiger ace, when it 1st came out.

The faction is meant to reflect the experienced and well trained axis troops in west Europe, that's why they have more vet levels than other factions.

15 Sep 2014, 03:24 AM

It was design to be so. They have their penalties; I'm considering that the ammo penalty should get back, in fact
15 Sep 2014, 03:59 AM

OKW
-Sturmpios
-Volks
-Obers
-Jaegers
-Falls
-Panzerfussiliers

Wehr
-Grens
-PGrens
-Stormtroopers
-Assault Grens

Soviet
-Conscripts
-Penals
-Guards
-Shocks
-Sniper

USF
-Rifles
-Assault Engies
-Paratroopers
-Pathfinders/I&R Pathfinders

/fixed for u
15 Sep 2014, 05:21 AM

/fixed for u

Because you'll be doing a ton of mainlining as sniper.
15 Sep 2014, 05:25 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Sep 2014, 05:21 AMKatitof

Because you'll be doing a ton of mainlining as sniper.

And i would add maxims to that :banana:

Ontopic: totally fair, just like USF can repair vehicles on their own, soviets having 6 man support and 2 man snipers and OH having a versatil tech line.
15 Sep 2014, 06:37 AM
Donator 11

Well it's here and it isn't going anytime soon.
15 Sep 2014, 06:59 AM

Kinda odd OKW got 5 vet and not Ost considering the Germans had been fighting for like 5 years in the East before D-Day
15 Sep 2014, 07:36 AM

Every faction has its special mechanics. It is the same like saying:
Why can’t the Germans equip all Inf with all weapons like the USAF. Why can`t all Tank crews repair their tanks. Why can’t all Inf Sprint or build sandbags and trenches. Why can’t all Inf merge. Why can DP-28 button a Tank, an Mg42 not. I can do this for an hour but I think everyone is getting my point.

To be completely honest, I would have given the Soviets 5 Vet, because they had the worst trained soldiers, that means they can learn the most on the battlefield. 4 Vet for WM and USAF because they had a solid basic training and 3 Vet for OKW because they have the best trained and veteran soldier’s right from the start.

But I will never believe Relic will change the system, so these are just some useless Ideas from me.
15 Sep 2014, 08:30 AM

OKW has the most diverse infantry in the game.

OKW
-Sturmpios
-Volks
-Obers
-Jaegers
-Falls
-Panzerfussiliers

Soviet
-Conscripts
-Penals
-Guards
-Shocks

For Sovs you forgot:
Combat engineers (Their demo is very powerful)
Snipers (Anti-OKW unit)
Irregulars
Partisans

Sovs are more diverse. They also have a non-doctrinal HMG.

But anyway, as Hagen said, each faction is a little unique. Sovs have a sniper and demo charges, which OKW has nothing similar too. The vet also offsets the crippling fuel deficit.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★