Login

russian armor

So Sturmpioneers... what do?

12 Sep 2014, 15:45 PM

Having Sturmpioneers as an early game unit feels mighty fine after a game where I have to make to with conscripts. They still tear most early game units a new one, and with Volks or Kubel support they are uttter beasts. Don't see what's wrong with them.
12 Sep 2014, 16:30 PM

Sturmpios are fine now after this patch, they were a little too lethal in the previous one.

They are a builder unit and that should be reflected in the price of the squad which it is now. They still dominate the first engagement you have in each game, only difference is that cover is more important. You can't just rush and win EVERY engagement with the opponents first unit anymore like you could before.

Comparing a starting unit with doctrinal Assault Engineers is just...

But they kill maxim and chase sniper much less effective now, these two units doe not care about the received accuaracy modifier at all, and with reduced comabt dmg, Sturmpio in late game is little more than overpriced Pio if they don't have vet.
12 Sep 2014, 16:33 PM

It means learn to adapt.
Don't assault, with these "assault" pionneers. Put them in buildings, keep them always at their effective range and try to avoid Shocks and Assault Engineers (I'm pretty sure those will be nerfed soon).

12 Sep 2014, 16:36 PM

Permanently Banned
Sturmpioneers are completely fine, and I'm baffled as to why you'd think they aren't. Like Katitof said, it's a mid-range unit equipped with Assault Rifles, not SMGs. The fact that SMGs beat Assault Rifles in close range makes sense and coincides with realism.
12 Sep 2014, 17:28 PM

Sturmpioneers are completely fine, and I'm baffled as to why you'd think they aren't. Like Katitof said, it's a mid-range unit equipped with Assault Rifles, not SMGs. The fact that SMGs beat Assault Rifles in close range makes sense and coincides with realism.

Like a said before, if the assault engineers keep this kinda of fire power then at least give them a thompson SMG. In that case it looks normal that they can beat a assault rifle up close.
Btw because a squad have a SMG does not mean they are "better" than assault rifles in CQB, in this case a stg44. stg44 was the best gun in war, and it had bigger rate of fire than m3 grease gun and mp40, and 3 times bigger muzzle velocity. An thomspon SMG would be alot better choice for assault engineers if they gonna keep this cqb power. IMO
12 Sep 2014, 17:53 PM

They are a builder unit and that should be reflected in the price of the squad which it is now.

320 Manpower builder unit?

Wait then don't my Assault Grenadiers effortlessly walk all over Riflemen? Why do my Assault Engineers tear my Assault Grenadiers to pieces? Assault Grenadiers are doctrine exclusive and can't build or repair (let alone crit repair) and have lower DPS, why are they the same price as Assault Engineers? By your logic, Assault Grenadiers need a buff because they're 0CP doctrinal assault infantry that don't walk over everything.
12 Sep 2014, 18:59 PM

Whoever says Sturmpioneers are a "builder" unit needs a quick reality check. Every OKW player with experience knows that Sturmpioneers are for fighting not for much else. They rarely if ever build since OKW "buildings" are based off of mobile halftrack bases.

The few times this "builder" unit actually constructs anything is when they place mines, barricades, or tank traps. All of which are situational.
12 Sep 2014, 19:14 PM

Also borrowing a quote from someone else over in the Assault Engineer thread, but he pretty much nails the point on the head.

Assault Grens advantage? You mean the half of 1DPS advantage? That's miniscule, not even worth considering, and doesn't even come into play until after around 25 meters. You can literally wait a full minute and the two squads will still be going at it.

Sturmpioneers advantage is a small window at mid-range, where they actually do measurable damage, without AE's DPS overtaking theirs, which only requires them to step forward a few meters.

That few meters to step forward is very very short as a distance and that's the overall issue with Sturmpioneers and well.. just about every German unit. Shocktroops, American AE's they will jog right through the sturmpioneers mid-range window and rape face.

Even worse though, because the close range + max damage values are actually longer at "10" rather than the Sturmpioneer's "3", these SMG squads can literally sit back at a distance dealing their max damage... it logically makes no sense.

An Assault Rifle, you'd think you'd outrange your opponents with SMG's for accuracy and damage, but instead it's the other way around in this game...and that's okay by you guys? You think that's right or even fair to either side?
12 Sep 2014, 19:18 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Sep 2014, 18:59 PMSierra
Whoever says Sturmpioneers are a "builder" unit needs a quick reality check. Every OKW player with experience knows that Sturmpioneers are for fighting not for much else. They rarely if ever build since OKW "buildings" are based off of mobile halftrack bases.

The few times this "builder" unit actually constructs anything is when they place mines, barricades, or tank traps. All of which are situational.

Which is why, at fortifications doctrine for instance, volksgrenadiers are those who build mg nests and minefields, not the sturmpios. Does this ring any bell?
I'm sorry guys, but Sierra is right, even if you hurried to label him. The fact that so many of you disagree, or doesn't really know what sturmpio purpose was (and should be) reveals the fact that you have little experience with OKW. This is my conclusion.
Sturmpios are primarely early assault units and this is their purpose in game. In subsidiary, yes, they put mines and repair things, but this is a secondary atribute of this unit.
12 Sep 2014, 19:19 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Sturmpios are fine now after this patch, they were a little too lethal in the previous one.

They are a builder unit and that should be reflected in the price of the squad which it is now. They still dominate the first engagement you have in each game, only difference is that cover is more important. You can't just rush and win EVERY engagement with the opponents first unit anymore like you could before.

giggles,... but should not
13 Sep 2014, 09:31 AM

Permanently Banned
They are really bad now. Need increase damage and range :(
13 Sep 2014, 10:16 AM

They could go head to head with Shocks and ripped Cons early game...good change,L2Adapt
13 Sep 2014, 11:15 AM

They could go head to head with Shocks and ripped Cons early game...good change,L2Adapt

No, just no.
13 Sep 2014, 13:29 PM

Haahahahaaha, what did I just read?
13 Sep 2014, 14:07 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Sep 2014, 13:29 PMJ1N6666

Haahahahaaha, what did I just read?

That's what happen when 2 A-move forces meet.
13 Sep 2014, 17:57 PM

They could go head to head with Shocks

This statement proves you never used them. Ever.
13 Sep 2014, 18:11 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Sep 2014, 17:57 PMJohnnyB

This statement proves you never used them. Ever.

Maybe he uses Shocktroops from long range, I had some game lately against someone who used them like that :D
13 Sep 2014, 20:45 PM

Maybe if the Shocktroops stood at max range and just took the piss then yah, maybe sturmpioneers could go toe-to-toe with them.
13 Sep 2014, 22:41 PM

Was a troll pos......you know what,nevermind

Anywho, you have to think with Sturmpios now. Instead of right clicking them into any enemy unit, you have to consider what you're facing. Enemy have rifles? Go give them a hug. Enemy have SMGs? Stay where you are and make them come give you a hug. They can still win against any Allied unit in the early game.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Sweden 48
South Africa 1
Germany 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak