Login

russian armor

Green Cover

11 Aug 2014, 21:33 PM

Anyone mention anything about getting suppressed very quickly in green cover, Green cover can stop tank rounds, but not bullets from suppressing the squad? Now it should suppress eventually, but at its current state I think its too quick, for green cover.
11 Aug 2014, 21:36 PM

Sometimes one guy stays out of cover, a little behind the wall/fence/whateva. That's the one that puts all of them down. It happens quite a lot.
11 Aug 2014, 21:36 PM

I think what happens is that some members of the squads like standing outside of cover leading to the whole squad getting suppressed. Mainly happens to Soviet infantry squad but not always on german squads.
11 Aug 2014, 21:38 PM

Happens less on 4 man squads, more to 5 and 6 man squads. Really annoying, also getting Pinned in Green cover is the most annoying thing. Suppressed is one thing but pinned? :(
11 Aug 2014, 21:55 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

You can create/extend green cover with sandbags,surely? just saying...
11 Aug 2014, 22:14 PM

You can create/extend green cover with sandbags,surely? just saying...
But soviet sandbags are a pain to set up. Why do the conscripts insist on building a whole wall reinforced with boxes and random stuff from the floor.
11 Aug 2014, 22:17 PM

I wonder where they even get those blocks of concrete...
11 Aug 2014, 22:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Aug 2014, 22:14 PMsteel
But soviet sandbags are a pain to set up. Why do the conscripts insist on building a whole wall reinforced with boxes and random stuff from the floor.

Well, the thing I consider particularly funny is, they can't all fit behind it, always one struggler who stands in the open and takes it like a man.
11 Aug 2014, 22:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Aug 2014, 22:33 PMKatitof

Well, the thing I consider particularly funny is, they can't all fit behind it, always one struggler who stands in the open and takes it like a man.
He took a step back. Shoot him.
11 Aug 2014, 23:33 PM

Fun fact: Area of Effect suppression does not have cover in it's modifier. If a squad is standing out in the open next to a squad in green cover, you should always fire at the squad in the open. The squad in green cover will get suppressed too, even though it would normally not be suppressed if directly fired at by the HMG.

Fun fact 2: HMG have very high accuracy against vehicles due to their size. This means that their AoE supression, which is tied to landing hits, is extremely high when shooting at vehicles. Aim at a vehicle next to a squad, and the squad will get suppressed rapidly despite not being shot at directly by the HMG.
12 Aug 2014, 00:04 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Cover is directional
If you are in green cover, i´m almost 100% sure the reason is that theres 1 guy who is not undercover.

Fun fact: Area of Effect suppression does not have cover in it's modifier. If a squad is standing out in the open next to a squad in green cover, you should always fire at the squad in the open. The squad in green cover will get suppressed too, even though it would normally not be suppressed if directly fired at by the HMG.

Fun fact 2: HMG have very high accuracy against vehicles due to their size. This means that their AoE supression, which is tied to landing hits, is extremely high when shooting at vehicles. Aim at a vehicle next to a squad, and the squad will get suppressed rapidly despite not being shot at directly by the HMG.

Quote for knowledge.
12 Aug 2014, 00:29 AM

always that scumbag last guy... I understand that cover is directional but it seems to no matter to my men
12 Aug 2014, 08:21 AM

If I understood the topic corectly, it's not about positioning the squad in the green cover in a wrong way, but rather about green cover not functioning as well as before while the squad receives fire from an HMG.
If this is the problem then yes, I observed this thing too. My squad taking cover after a wall or something that provides green cover, and getting supressed as quic as they were in yellow cover. Not one squad member was outside green cover. Did something change related to this?!
12 Aug 2014, 21:28 PM

Thanks for sharing this. Makes sense, but I wasn't really aware of it.
13 Aug 2014, 00:28 AM

if there's one guy out of cover the guy out of cover should just die and the rest should not be suppressed so easily imo.
13 Aug 2014, 06:29 AM

EDIT: According to Woof, AoE suppression only applies to actual hits. My bad, I thought it'd apply to the normal suppression amount. Ignore this post if you want, I'll leave it up in case someone wants to salvage any of it :P

Afaik, it isn't. It is still good advice, though.
It does not matter how often the MG hits, it only matters how many bullets it shoots at a target and what modifiers count against the target. The modifiers for different cover types (accuracy, suppression, damage, penetration) are different for many types. What you are experiencing is the result of vehicles not receiving cover boni. If it would only count hitting bullets, there would be double-dipping and the modifiers would need to be much lower.

Example modifiers HMG42:

Light suppression: 0.5
Light penetration: 1.0
Light accuracy: 0.5
Light damage: 1.0

Heavy suppression: 0.1
Heavy penetration: 1.0
Heavy accuracy: 0.5
Heavy damage: 0.5

With 0.1*0.5 = 0.05 suppression modifier, nothing would ever be suppressed in green cover because their suppression regeneration would pretty much cancel it out. (However, I can't give you numbers on the regeneration nor on the mechanics... there once was a very good article about it on the VERY old and since replaced coh1stats site, not probably lost forever. So I'm just assuming it works roughly the same as in CoH1, like most things in this game.)
13 Aug 2014, 08:37 AM

dont really want to get into this too much, but AOE suppression actually does take hits into account. misses do not apply AOE suppression. they will apply suppression to the squad being targeted, but not squads next to the target, so aerohanks tip on shooting vehicles to give greater AOE suppression is accurate.

the other mechanic (AOE suppression using the cover modifier of the original target and not the nearby squad) i am unsure about. ive asked around and havent been able to get a clear answer.
13 Aug 2014, 14:50 PM

Such a shame that this happens, since the game has mechanics for using "live" vehicles as green cover - it even gives an example in the first mission of the campaign. *sigh
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★