Login

russian armor

American mortar half-track sucks and shouldn't be 40 fuel

10 Aug 2014, 19:37 PM

RAGE!!!

The RNG gods seem to curse my IDF weapon usage so I usually don't get them but for some of the small 2v2 maps you need something to counter turtling OKW fortifications doctrine. So I don't see the answer as oh use all of the other sweet things Amer has and you'll be fine.

40 fuel is too much for something that is just a minor annoyance. If the planets align and you get a direct hit you will kill a model other than that this thing is a waste of fuel.

I don't need to go on. You all know this thing sucks.
10 Aug 2014, 19:51 PM

Mirror its scatter to german mortar ht.

Fixed.
10 Aug 2014, 19:52 PM

I don't think it's a bad unit at all, but I wouldn't mind a buff.

The white phosphorus barrage alone is worth the cost.
10 Aug 2014, 20:19 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Flame post invised. Please keep it clean guys. :)
10 Aug 2014, 21:58 PM

Here's a replay of the halftrack racking up tons of kills.

11 Aug 2014, 00:04 AM

it seems better now that they buffed the barrage but the autofire could be more accurate.
11 Aug 2014, 00:10 AM

So I discovered that white phosphorus actually functions like a smoke grenade in addition to its incendiary perks. Even more useful, in my eyes.
11 Aug 2014, 05:11 AM

apparently saying "mortar halftrack is shit" is a flame post.

So let me elaborate:

This unit is a worthless. It is actually less useful than the pack howitzer, which is also not worth buying. The only indirect fire weapon worth using on USF is the M8 stuart.
11 Aug 2014, 05:32 AM

I totally disagree it is useless, that phosphorus round making this unit extremely powerful.

The ability alone cannot kill, but even add one RE squad into it can make sure death.
11 Aug 2014, 08:08 AM

White phosphorus is definitely good but right now the unit is in a similar place as the m8 greyhound. Good ability attached to an otherwise under performing unit.
11 Aug 2014, 10:00 AM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Aug 2014, 19:51 PMKatitof
Mirror its scatter to german mortar ht.

Fixed.

Scatter is already very similar when barraging- just 1m worse. Autofire is pretty bad though, 4m worse to be exact. That could probably be tweaked.

Anyone had any experience against or using the delayed shells? Are they any good?
11 Aug 2014, 20:10 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I think it would be great for the thread to show a comparative between MHT from OH and US. Stats, abilities and cost.
11 Aug 2014, 22:35 PM

The delayed fuse shells have a very long timer on them - I think it's about 3 seconds if I remember. The penetration is way up, though - seems to be able to do consistent damage to StuGs. Also, it fires a huge number of shells per 25 munitions barrage - I think it's around 8 shells.

As a side note, seems as if the explosion uses the same FX for the Sherman HE shells. I'll assume that the Delayed Fuse shells (which in real life also have a lot more explosive packed into them compared to the normal 81mm shell) also have a larger blast radius.
12 Aug 2014, 01:31 AM

Here are the CoH2 stats pages for each vehicle:

OH Mortar HT

US Mortar HT

Both vehicles cost 200 mp and 40 fuel. The OH HT has less health than the US HT (240 vs 320) but has better speed (6.8 vs 6) and slightly better armor (11 vs 8.4).

The damage profiles for the actual mortar round are nearly identical. Both do 80 damage and share the same aoe profile. The OH mortar HT has slightly better penetration at the edge of the aoe radius but it is pretty negligible.

The biggest difference between the OH and US mortar HT is the scatter and RoF. The OH HT has better default scatter (8 vs 12) and better barrage scatter (7 vs 8) than the US HT. The RoF of both weapons is harder to calculate so if someone who is more knowledgeable about these things would like to provide the exact RoF of each vehicle I would appreciate it. That said, the listed autofire DPS of the OH mortar HT is nearly double (18 vs 9.5) that of the US HT. The OH HT also has better DPS when using barrage (18 vs 14) but the difference isn’t as dramatic.

The take away from all this is that the OH mortar HT does consistent damage whether it is using autofire or barrage. The US HT is only about half as effective when using autofire but closes the gap considerably when using barrage.

Lastly, the OH mortar HT can use a smoke barrage, incendiary barrage, and at vet 1 counter barrage. The US mortar HT can use white phosphorous and at vet 1 delayed fuse barrage.
12 Aug 2014, 02:10 AM

Anyone had any experience against or using the delayed shells? Are they any good?

I like them because the extra spread actually punishes people moving around. They're liable to waltz over one accidentally.
12 Aug 2014, 11:40 AM

Don't forget one HT is shooting at squads with 5-6 targets and the other one is shooting at 4 man squads.
I kind of liked the recent buff to the US HT and I think it is good because it adds something to the faction that it does not otherwise have in a very accessible way whereas Ost can get a mortar pretty much every game if they want, making the advantage between mortar HT and mortar much smaller. I think that the field howitzer can't really be compared to mortars although they partially share roles.

I think its problem is the same as most US non-tank vehicles: You want your Sherman (or Stuart) ASAP and thus do not want to spend the fuel required for them. Other factions kind of share the same problem, although OKW and USF probably show this more because their AT guns don't really seem adequate to really combat medium tanks.
12 Aug 2014, 12:30 PM

I like them because the extra spread actually punishes people moving around. They're liable to waltz over one accidentally.

Aren't they also easier to dodge precisely because of that?
12 Aug 2014, 12:36 PM
Senior Editor Badge

use and abuse the Phosphorus smoke. Its wonderfull to kill retreating squads and slow infantry advances
enjoy!!!!
12 Aug 2014, 12:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Aug 2014, 12:36 PMnigo
use and abuse the Phosphorus smoke. Its wonderfull to kill retreating squads and slow infantry advances
enjoy!!!!

Too bad it can't kill.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight