Login

russian armor

Rear Echelon Squads

• This thread is locked
8 Aug 2014, 23:10 PM

The bad:
Volley Fire is awful in its current incarnation.
Default rifles are worthless. Require Bars to accomplish anything.
Repair is redundant when vehicles can repair themselves with crews.

The Good:
Fighting position rifle grenades
Gain decent combat ability with vet 2 and bars
Volleyfire can be used from inside garrisons
Can construct tank traps for improptu cover, or trapping tanks I guess

Suggestions:
Make them a more expensive, more combat capable squad. Cost increase to 190. Buff M1 Carbine accuracy. Currently Rear Echelon troops have the worst accuracy out of any infantry unit in the game, including weapons team crew members. Accuracy far increased from 0.2 to 0.35 and accuracy near from 0.35 to 0.55.
Volley fire cost reduced to 10 munitions. Better indicator of ability being active for fucks sake.

8 Aug 2014, 23:35 PM

Changing RE squads could really help open the early game for the US. At the moment there isn't really any reason to get them over a rifle squad as vehicle crew makes them pretty redundant as you say.

Changes I'd like to see are
- improved long range effectiveness to go along with the theme of a support unit for rifles who close the distance
- give them a mine ability (5 muni AT mine)
- Increase cost to 200-220

Another idea would be to give them a rifle-nade ability like the one they use out of the fighting position as this would help with the lack of flamethrower for clearing garrisons.
8 Aug 2014, 23:48 PM

I too would like to see RE given at least some degree of combat effectiveness.

One thing that should be kept in mind though is that the American starting manpower takes into account the cheap cost of the initial RE squad. This means that if RE received a cost and combat effectiveness increase American starting manpower might need to be correspondingly reduced.
8 Aug 2014, 23:56 PM

Permanently Banned
The bad:
Volley Fire is awful in its current incarnation.
Default rifles are worthless. Require Bars to accomplish anything.
Repair is redundant when vehicles can repair themselves with crews.

The Good:
Fighting position rifle grenades
Gain decent combat ability with vet 2 and bars
Volleyfire can be used from inside garrisons
Can construct tank traps for improptu cover, or trapping tanks I guess

Suggestions:
Make them a more expensive, more combat capable squad. Cost increase to 190. Buff M1 Carbine accuracy. Currently Rear Echelon troops have the worst accuracy out of any infantry unit in the game, including weapons team crew members. Accuracy far increased from 0.2 to 0.35 and accuracy near from 0.35 to 0.55.
Volley fire cost reduced to 10 munitions. Better indicator of ability being active for fucks sake.

THey buffed Volley fire in the last patch i think its in a good place now for its cost. OF its a 160Mp unit of course its not going to massacre other infantry. And why would you put Bars on this squad anyway.
9 Aug 2014, 00:26 AM

THey buffed Volley fire in the last patch i think its in a good place now for its cost. OF its a 160Mp unit of course its not going to massacre other infantry. And why would you put Bars on this squad anyway.
Volley fire scales with upgrades, so giving them a bar actually make the ability work.
9 Aug 2014, 00:53 AM

they should be able to build anti tank mine
9 Aug 2014, 01:02 AM

And why would you put Bars on this squad anyway.

I'm a stubborn fool who plays with a lot of 3x or 4x RE builds, so being my mainline infantry they tend to need the damage output.

Also if we want to talk about min/maxing effectiveness of the army, RE are a much better squad for bars since they have the same health/armour as Riflemen but are cheaper and benefit more from it.

9 Aug 2014, 01:02 AM

9 Aug 2014, 01:04 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

I think rear echelon troops are fine. Volley fire is in a good place now.
9 Aug 2014, 01:17 AM

They're not meant to be combat capable. They're rear echelon troops. They're fine.
9 Aug 2014, 02:28 AM
Patrion 14

I think you're missing the point about the "rear" in the rear echelon squad. If you want to spam them, you basically must go Airborne for paratroopers. While they have pathetic base damage, buffing them to any meaning state would overlap them with riflemen (America is designed around riflemen in CoH2, not an RE army).
9 Aug 2014, 03:58 AM

Technically Osttruppen are rear echelon units too, but that didn't stop them from appearing in multiple ways, and coming with a Panzerfaust.
9 Aug 2014, 04:09 AM

Technically Osttruppen are rear echelon units too, but that didn't stop them from appearing in multiple ways, and coming with a Panzerfaust.

They also cannot repair or build anything of value...
10 Aug 2014, 00:23 AM

They're not meant to be combat capable. They're rear echelon troops. They're fine.

Then they should have non-combat utility. The only thing they have that other units don't is mine sweepers. Pioneers and Combat Engineers suck in combat too, but they have options like flamers to be somewhat formidable and they're the primary builders for their faction. RE are builders, but both riflemen and assault engineers can build the same things through doctrines. (In fact, more things) Their repair is also entirely unnecessary because tank crews are better at it anyway.

I think you're missing the point about the "rear" in the rear echelon squad. If you want to spam them, you basically must go Airborne for paratroopers. While they have pathetic base damage, buffing them to any meaning state would overlap them with riflemen (America is designed around riflemen in CoH2, not an RE army).

I like every unit to be useful. I try and find the value in every unit in the game. I don't think anything I'm suggesting is over the top at all. Combat Engineers are 10 man power more expensive and do twice as much damage with better accuracy.

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Aug 2014, 01:04 AMRomeo
I think rear echelon troops are fine. Volley fire is in a good place now.

Got any replays actually using it? Why would I ever want to spend 20 munitions on volley fire?
10 Aug 2014, 00:39 AM

I think they're fine other than volley fire. That ability should just be removed from the game. They're trying so hard to be like the vCoH panzer grenadiers with G43's it's pathetic.

Volley fire is a waste of munis. Nobody uses it as a tactical play style. It's just a luck button and hoping you get someone that's running out in the open.

AT mines would be a great addition to them. You know... actually promote smart play by strategically positioning mines in certain areas.

Right now though, you never build another RE squad other than to crew shit and build fighting positions.
10 Aug 2014, 03:23 AM

I've always kinda thought that Rear Echelon squads should repair faster than vehicle crews by a significant margin, so that they have a use other than crewing weapons and vehicles.

As it is now, it's like having four Private Uphams following your army around.
10 Aug 2014, 03:32 AM

I've always kinda thought that Rear Echelon squads should repair faster than vehicle crews by a significant margin, so that they have a use other than crewing weapons and vehicles.

As it is now, it's like having four Private Uphams following your army around.

Corporal Upham....
10 Aug 2014, 03:38 AM

My biggest beef with Rear Echelon troops is that they can't lay mines. Because of this, they serve basically no purpose whatsoever given vehicles can basically repair themselves.
19 Aug 2021, 10:46 AM
19 Aug 2021, 20:20 PM

They just need to be good enough paired with a rifle squad to stop usf unless with some lucky rng get trolled at the start of the match. Then its volks spam and you can never get position back from the bad start.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★