Login

russian armor

Volksgrenadier Sandbags

27 Jul 2014, 16:09 PM

Hello,

I just wanted to ask what people think about the Volksgrenadier sandbags.

I admit I often forget to use them, but sometimes I do if I have the time to prepare a defense. However I often noticed that they get destroyed very easily. I think even a Molotov damages or even destroys them, so they don't last even for the one fight

One piece of sandbags also doesn't seem enough to cover a whole Volksgrenadier squad, so I feel it usually is best to put a two tiles long sandbag-place in to maximize effect, but that also doubles the time to construct, which can be too long sometimes.

Are they fine in your opinion or could they be just slightly more sturdy/wider? Do you have any tips how to use sandbags to good effect?
27 Jul 2014, 16:13 PM

they are good for all units except volks, you know why? because even if they are in the sandbags, all models protected, if a rifleman squad comes and just runs up to the sandbags, the volks lose the engagement.
Pretty good ah?
27 Jul 2014, 16:16 PM

They're great.

I use them all the time.

I actually find that their low durability is a perk. They're easy enough to rebuild so having one go down isn't a big deal.

What makes it an advantage is the Panzerschreck. If you spam sandbag walls everywhere then the enemy can use them against you. That's okay though. You'll destroy their cover mid-fight with the Panzerschreck and put them out of position.

This means you can pretty safely put sandbags everywhere without being too worried about them being turned against you.

Sandbags everywhere means the enemy has to engage you at long range or they're charging units in green cover. Thus you restrict the enemy to the range where your Volks are best.

I find one tile of sandbags is often enough myself.

27 Jul 2014, 16:30 PM

I think they were a lot better if the old problem with infantry-held AT sometimes destroying their own cover wasn't around anymore. I had a Volks squad with Panzerschrecks behind sandbags and they blew up the sandbags themselves, exposing them.
27 Jul 2014, 16:39 PM

I think they were a lot better if the old problem with infantry-held AT sometimes destroying their own cover wasn't around anymore. I had a Volks squad with Panzerschrecks behind sandbags and they blew up the sandbags themselves, exposing them.

One of CoHs oldest illnesses.
At least the Shrecks don't plough the dirt as often as they used to do.
27 Jul 2014, 16:55 PM

they are good for all units except volks, you know why? because even if they are in the sandbags, all models protected, if a rifleman squad comes and just runs up to the sandbags, the volks lose the engagement.
Pretty good ah?

Throw a nade then?

Its not like OKW is starved for muni.
27 Jul 2014, 16:58 PM

You can also wire (or even mine) the other side of the sandbags.
27 Jul 2014, 17:02 PM

What makes it an advantage is the Panzerschreck. If you spam sandbag walls everywhere then the enemy can use them against you. That's okay though. You'll destroy their cover mid-fight with the Panzerschreck and put them out of position.

That is not a bad argument. I actually experimented in the past with putting a mine behind the sandbag, so if they charge my Volksgrenadiers I run backwards while they walk into the mine and simultaneously destroy the sandbags. Not sure though if it is worth the 30 munition.
27 Jul 2014, 17:38 PM

Well, the kill-radius for mines is much bigger than the kill-radius for grenades. Plus his soldiers will likely try to bunch up and be under fire while triggering it. You don't have to do it with all sandbags but it will put him into mind games and make him avoid good cover spots.
27 Jul 2014, 18:04 PM

I've seen Vet 3 Panzergrenadiers kill their entire squad doing this once. It didn't happen to me, but it was still painful to watch.
Vaz
28 Jul 2014, 13:45 PM

I don't find it strange that molotov fire damages it. If the bag was burned shouldn't the sand spill out? If you want it longer to cover more models, then just build another set of bags next to the one you have. You should wire the other side to stop ooorah from gaining your cover bonus.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight