Login

russian armor

Infantry Blobs

• This thread is locked
PAGES (11)down
10 Jul 2014, 07:09 AM

I enjoyed the days when the team weapon was the center of the game. Felt more authentic.
10 Jul 2014, 07:15 AM

I don't have an issue with blobbing. Blobbing is easy to counter. And by the way, if you blob, you sacrifice for example map control.
10 Jul 2014, 10:03 AM
Donator 33

I think they should remain a valid tactic with pros and cons. The main issue right now is they do so much DPS that they overwhelm counters, and the reward for winning a blob engagement is easy squad wipes. Therefore my favourite solution that somebody posted would be reduced accuracy when friendly units are blocking line of sight to the target. That way MGs have a chance to do suppress, and squads have time to retreat. The blob doesn't become more vulnerable, only less powerful.
10 Jul 2014, 10:17 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jul 2014, 05:23 AMVonIvan

Then we wouldn't be having squad blobs, but instead mg blobs. Flashback to the beginning of the game. MG42 and Maxim paradise.

#OneProblemWillLeadToAnother

You definitely got a point there. If we buff suppression then people will go MG spam because even with low damage the enemy will die eventually. If it's a damage buff then people will go for spam as well.

All these sound bad but when you think about it, MG42 will take a while to dismantle and deploy. Maxim has got the tiny arc. Both 50 cal MG can't really be spammed since they aren't really cheap.

We could also go the COH1 route which from what I remember MG42 have damage multiplier if units are closer together. All MGs should be rewarding to use in it's own way.

MG42 can have the lowest damage out of the 4 but give it the most suppression.
Maxim higher damage and faster deploy/undeploy but slightly lower suppression.
50 cal MGs have highest damage but about the same suppression as Maxim. (They're not cheap so lower suppression than maxim makes no sense)

Blobs are definitely not hard to fight. It's just that they are troublesome when you're fighting American when they can run back to their ambulance and major just 15 feet behind them.

Also, give us that manual aiming of the MGs in the building. I only use buildings now to post a lookout while I set up a defense at my area.

If I had things my way, all small arms would be even more lethal than its current state. 1 MG burst = 3 kills
10 Jul 2014, 16:06 PM

1 MG burst equals 3 kills? I'm glad you don't have your way!
10 Jul 2014, 16:13 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Support weapons should be more reliable.
-Make mg reload sequence longer but give the manual ability to reload magazines
-Gunners should recrew and shoot mgs much faster, right now they sit 1-2 sec doing nothing before they finally aim and shoot
10 Jul 2014, 16:21 PM

Blobs are REALLY big right now. Suppression tools are too weak. Give suppression bonuses to MG's firing at blobs. These increase with the number of units in a blob.
10 Jul 2014, 16:37 PM

Proper support weapon usage will definitely stop blobs. If he's rushing you with a blob of squads, a single machine gun will stop them in their tracks. Then they're fodder for any of your other units, including your mortar.

I agreed with you completely up until you said that a single MG would stop them in their tracks. I'd have to check to see if I still have the replays but last night I was playing a 2v2, the enemy blobbed a couple volks, sturmpios and a panzerfusiler together and charged at my MG on moscow. It was a vet 2 Maxim. I mean charged at it, like directly in the cone of fire. My MG was also in yellow cover. I think the first two squads got pinned and that was it of the 4-5. The rest just stood in the cone of fire and shot at my MG until I had to retreat.

Right now, blobbing is terrible. As OKW just throw a couple obersoldaten together with fallshrims and volks and you do and insane amount of damage before you even get CLOSE to the enemy.

I've dealt with blobs it's just not the easiest thing to do. Especially if you lose a squad or two in the process. MG teams are necessary now apparently. So is some form of indirect fire.

USF Mortar Halftrack is underused, has an incediary ability which is useful.

This is a standard game nowadays. No flanks or anything, just run at them with BARs and Zooks.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/486701739021246228/E99EAA0782E6B0BCA5723187101F3CD94B6234B9/

Edit: Mortars!!! My Wehr mortar had like 30+ kills in that 4v4 by the end, we won cause blobbing sucks when you overextend and lose squads on retreat
10 Jul 2014, 16:40 PM

1 obersoldaten can just wreck a maxim before they get suppressed :/.

A USF infantry blob can charge an mg42 and focus fire on it and it will die before containing them.

The counters you guys speak of regarding support teams dont really work vs these blobs.
10 Jul 2014, 16:47 PM

4 units will usually beat 1. MG by itself needs to be in green cover.
10 Jul 2014, 16:47 PM
Patrion 39

I think the issue with suppression tools right now is that MGs aren't very accountable.

Sometimes they don't fire at units that go into the arc, MG42s act screwy in buildings, Cons can run up and molotov an MG crew, etc. When you put down an MG crew, you should be able to expect that it will reliably suppress a squad or two that enters its arc, so as to protect your flank, or punish the blobbing as mentioned in this thread by suppressing it before the MG gets killed, and so forth.

Often the gunner will get killed, and the rest of the squad will follow before they manage to pack up the MG and retreat. The reason MG42s aren't nearly as widely used as before is simply because they don't do the job they are meant to do. They are a liability at the moment.

So, how do you fix it? Increase the weapon traverse, decrease the time to acquire target and probably decrease the suppression.

What does this mean? The MG will find the target, turn the gun and fire much sooner than before, but once firing, takes a little longer to suppress. It means it becomes a reasonable suppression tool that protects from minor flanks and big blobs, but can easily be overwhelmed because it doesn't have the suppression to protect against multiple squads in its arc, which prevents spamming.
10 Jul 2014, 22:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jul 2014, 05:30 AMPorygon

I accept, show us your steam profile, let me blob the crap out of you tonight. :)

Here's my profile: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Dullahan/

Add me and we can play whenever.

I agreed with you completely up until you said that a single MG would stop them in their tracks.

Suppression won't beat them on its own, but it puts the rest of your army in a great position to brutalize them.

A lot of the new weapons (any sort of LMG) tends to be very good against suppression because it fires in a burst, which while it will fire less frequently when suppressed it still will deal a good chunk of damage. However, simply reducing the mobility of your opponent long enough to hit him with AoE attacks is sufficient, really.
10 Jul 2014, 23:48 PM

I like the idea of increased supression for the MGs. I think the main problem with them early on was that they were too resiliant, not so much that they were too effective. MGs are countered by pretty much every unit in the game unless you charge head on, in wich case you should be punished.
10 Jul 2014, 23:53 PM

There was a time when HMGs had more suppression. Doesn't anyone remember the good old days of the HMG42 + 10% suppression bulletin insta-pin?

It was _SHIT_

I feel MGs counter blobs well enough if you use them properly. If you have it set up somewhere alone and it gets bumrushed by 4 squads it will die. Big deal.

Use it with spotters and some meat shields in front of it and suddenly it works just fine.
11 Jul 2014, 00:09 AM

I just missed the MG 42 from vCoH, you could just park it somewhere and expect it to do a decent job. A probing force will take a loss and get suppressed, then the enemy knows it's there and it's up to you to reinforce or relocate to prevent destruction.

Now you're not even guarunteed to suppress the attacker when he pokes his head through and he can just walk away and come back at another angle. Of if there are 2 squads, charge in, he can't suppress both of them. You're expected to have a minimum of 480MP on site for it to work properly.

At that point why not just get more Grenadiers and adapt a more mobile defense? Of course, that's what happened, and now everybody complains about Grenadier spam.
11 Jul 2014, 00:13 AM

I just missed the MG 42 from vCoH, you could just park it somewhere and expect it to do a decent job. A probing force will take a loss and get suppressed, then the enemy knows it's there and it's up to you to reinforce or relocate to prevent destruction.

Now you're not even guarunteed to suppress the attacker when he pokes his head through and he can just walk away and come back at another angle. Of if there are 2 squads, charge in, he can't suppress both of them. You're expected to have a minimum of 480MP on site for it to work properly.

At that point why not just get more Grenadiers and adapt a more mobile defense? Of course, that's what happened, and now everybody complains about Grenadier spam.

It always took two burst to suppress a squad. A player quick on his feet could turn around when he got hit by the first burst too.
11 Jul 2014, 01:55 AM

Well not always, but I get what you mean. I just wish the MG 42 was more reliable. Instead it's a unit you have to babysit, it's not really reliable. That was my point, you can just buy Grenadiers and have more utility on a wider scale.
11 Jul 2014, 03:07 AM

Here's my profile: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Dullahan/

Add me and we can play whenever.

Suppression won't beat them on its own, but it puts the rest of your army in a great position to brutalize them.

A lot of the new weapons (any sort of LMG) tends to be very good against suppression because it fires in a burst, which while it will fire less frequently when suppressed it still will deal a good chunk of damage. However, simply reducing the mobility of your opponent long enough to hit him with AoE attacks is sufficient, really.

Not saying suppression will beat them alone but it should SUPPRESS them. A vet 2 maxim in yellow cover should not have trouble pinning 4 squads that are literally grouped together. Instead it supresses the first two.

Honestly MOST of the 2v2's I play it just ends up with OKW/USF blobbing units to take an area.

OKW blobs with a sturm officer is an unreal combination and insanely hard to effectively counter without suffering large amounts of manpower hits. Accuracy bonus + obersoldaten/shreks/g43s is fuggin bullshit. = dead MG.

raw
11 Jul 2014, 03:11 AM

Well not always, but I get what you mean. I just wish the MG 42 was more reliable. Instead it's a unit you have to babysit, it's not really reliable. That was my point, you can just buy Grenadiers and have more utility on a wider scale.

Your analysis is correct. It's not just MGs that handle terribly.
11 Jul 2014, 03:22 AM

Not saying suppression will beat them alone but it should SUPPRESS them. A vet 2 maxim in yellow cover should not have trouble pinning 4 squads that are literally grouped together. Instead it supresses the first two.

Did you manually target the unsuppressedsquads? The maxim has a rather weak AoE suppression compared to the mg34.
PAGES (11)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS