Login

russian armor

Infantry Blobs

• This thread is locked
PAGES (11)down
6 Jul 2014, 01:55 AM

In this thread we are going to talk about blobs.

As the game stands right now, infantry blobs are one of best strategies to win for all factions (Soviets somewhat less so).

Regardless of what you have on the field, a blob of infantry (riflemen with bazookas / BARS, obersoldaten + volks with shrecks, grenadiers + p.grens with shrecks) will disintegrate it in seconds.

This is particularly destructive against OKW, where there is no way to suppress massive blobs of troops especially in the late game. The K.wagon as it stands right now is terrible and the flaktrack is extremely mediocre considering that 3/4 of the time it will shoot the ground or your own troops rather than the enemies. Both of these units are shredded by BARs and bazookas anyways, so there's no point in even calling them in.

Game balance as it is right now seems to be at an all time low. It is extremely boring and frustrating to see massive walls of troops simply attack moved forwards until all enemy units are dead.

Strategy? Who needs it.

Relic needs to fix this, ASAP.
6 Jul 2014, 01:58 AM

If you can't counter an infantry blob, you need to learn how to use artillery and suppression tools properly.

There's nothing to fix other than your shitty play.

6 Jul 2014, 02:02 AM
Patrion 310

Get a Stuka half track, kills infantry blobs very easily.
6 Jul 2014, 02:05 AM

If you can't counter an infantry blob, you need to learn how to use artillery and suppression tools properly.

There's nothing to fix other than your shitty play.

What suppression tools does the OKW have?
6 Jul 2014, 02:10 AM

Get a Stuka half track, kills infantry blobs very easily.

The walking stuka is effective against infantry, but only for 5 seconds every minute while the bombs are falling. The rest of the time those blobs are loose elsewhere on the map killing everything. Spending 100 fuel on a unit when I should be preparing for armor is not really a good tradeoff.
6 Jul 2014, 02:11 AM

What suppression tools does the OKW have?

Early game: Kubel. This guy requires a lot of care, and will likely die to schrecks anyway, but early on he can put you in a good position.
Mid game: Flak halftrack. This thing when used properly is a complete beast. This is honestly one of the strongest counters to infantry blobs as long as you keep him repaired and be ready to screen an escape with some smoke.

Late game blobs you really need artillery to contend with, which is fine because OKW has it in spades.

6 Jul 2014, 02:17 AM

Early game: Kubel. This guy requires a lot of care, and will likely die to schrecks anyway, but early on he can put you in a good position.
Mid game: Flak halftrack. This thing when used properly is a complete beast. This is honestly one of the strongest counters to infantry blobs as long as you keep him repaired and be ready to screen an escape with some smoke.

Late game blobs you really need artillery to contend with, which is fine because OKW has it in spades.

The Kubelwagon is a piece of junk that dies to infantry even if you spend all of your time microing it to keep it out of enemy fire since one rifleman squad can shoot it half to death before it starts suppressing them.

The flaktrack is defeated by 2 to 3 bazookas or even BARs. It's a piece of tissue paper overall. Hell, it's even defeated by minor changes in elevation which cause it to completely miss the target and fail to suppress. I love this unit as well, but it definitely isn't even a early game counter to blobs.

And on late game, the damage done by the blobs is usually done by this point, and spending hundreds of fuel on artillery units cements your fate since you'll no longer have any left over for the tanks you were supposed to be saving up for all game long.
6 Jul 2014, 02:29 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Or go Luftwaffe and get MG34s.
6 Jul 2014, 02:30 AM
Honorary Member Badge

6 Jul 2014, 02:47 AM

The only blob I have issues with is the US Forces blob that seems to be the norm for each match against them (at my skill level, at least). I don't run into too many blobs outside them, besides the odd Grenadier blob against the Ostheer.
6 Jul 2014, 02:50 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 11

There is definitely more blobbing than ever. I fended off a formidable OKW blob with US Forces Infantry Company commander and the M1919 LMG defensive stance. Worked very well, and used the Priest to close range barrage a slowed blob.

I think proper non-blobbing beats it, but with infantry lethality from some units being very high the engagements can quickly turn. Even your properly covered squads can take insane damage quickly

(I'm looking at you Obersoldaten.)
6 Jul 2014, 03:34 AM

MG34 is decent enough but I've seen it get shredded by BAR teams who walk into its cone of fire and kill it while it is trying to suppress them.

And besides, that's a doctrine unit.
6 Jul 2014, 06:17 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Well, if you are having problems with tanks pick a commander with good at

If you have a problem with infantry pick a commander with good AI
6 Jul 2014, 07:32 AM

mg and arty, there shouldnt be any problems with soviets and wehrmacht and their mg are pretty decent. okw is all about proper infantry fighting, same with US with rifleman upgrades.

put in cover and form a line, so upon contacted, all squads are nicely spread out and can engage same targets together.
6 Jul 2014, 08:56 AM

Indirect fire is the counter to blobs. I am not gonna list the units thou.
Thats the only thing you can do. Oh yeah, and mines!!!
7 Jul 2014, 16:13 PM

How to stop blobing and go back to using cover etc.

Give all infantry units a blob aura

Let's assume the blob starts with 3 infantry units. Unit within two other blob auras range increases accuracy of enemy small arm fire against that unit. The more units together the easier is to shoot them.

Easy
7 Jul 2014, 16:34 PM
Donator 11

Let's assume the blob starts with 3 infantry units. Unit within two other blob auras range increases accuracy of enemy small arm fire against that unit. The more units together the easier is to shoot them.

Easy

This was in vCOH opposing fronts actually but in reverse. Panzer Elite had a bonus for blobbing.
7 Jul 2014, 16:57 PM

Easy

I've been saying this since CoH1, haha. It'd be nice. Makes sense too, it's easier to hit one out of 20 people than it is to hit one out of 5.
7 Jul 2014, 17:20 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Jul 2014, 16:34 PMZ3r07

This was in vCOH opposing fronts actually but in reverse. Panzer Elite had a bonus for blobbing.

Without Zeal upgrade they actually had penalty.

And wehr pios had a penalty as well for blobbing.
PAGES (11)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS