Login

russian armor

Any success with Ass Engies?

4 Jul 2014, 15:10 PM

Hey everyone,

Just curious if anyone has been successful playing with the armor commander with the assault engies. They die pretty fast and after the early game is over, I'd rather have them as rifle squads. Any tips?

4 Jul 2014, 15:43 PM
Patrion 15

Honestly I really want to like them, but they are pretty worthless. They do almost zero damage unless at point blank range, and the 4 man squad makes them a liablity to use with the flamethrower. Your better off getting another rifle squad in almost all situations.

That coupled with the fact that the armor commander kinda meh now that the regular T4 sherman fills the role of the bulldozer sherman, and the vehicle crew thompson upgrade costs 60(?) munis, and is again on a squishy 4 man squad, its a pretty lackluster commander overall imo.
4 Jul 2014, 17:12 PM

His ability's are nice to get out vehicles before you can actually get them out (skip major tech).

So realistically, you could go heavy lieutenant tech and still have vehicles out albeit slightly different ones.

The M10 is basically a crappier M36 but at a cheaper cost. You can field 3 M10 for the price of 2 M36's, resource speaking. The Bulldozer Sherman is basically a normal Sherman with HE only but stronger HE and it can make cover for your heavy lieutenant tech.

Assault engineers are good on maps with tight spots and twists and curves, same as stormpios. Run through forest areas and flank. They are slightly worse than stormpios in all aspects except they cost less to reinforce. So use them like stormpios!
5 Jul 2014, 19:12 PM

Their good for mines and demos and that's about it. flamers can be handy as as people have said they die stupidly quickly as they need to be so close to do damage.
5 Jul 2014, 19:14 PM

they are good, you can place democharges and squadwipe.

Their light AT mines, dunno, they seem to barely do any damage.

I use that company commander vs ostheer, i go very heavy BAR and Bazooka tech, and then spam M10 + bulldozers, basically saving fuel for not teching up for major.

Generally they are not that good vs OKW because they get shredded my sturmpios. However usefull vs ostheer for flanking mg 42.
6 Jul 2014, 06:23 AM

I think they need some armour imo.

6 Jul 2014, 06:35 AM

I use em', they're great on close range maps or for helping get a volk squad outa green cover while a riflemen engages it from afar(I send them around the flanks, not towards the volks for those wondering). Primary reason I love having one of them is ofc demos. Planting early demos 2-4 mins into the game can really tip it in your favor if you place it well. I agree they're harder to keep alive late game, and are really only good at defending your back cutoffs or repairing/planting demos during that period of the game. Overall they are a good investment imo.
6 Jul 2014, 09:39 AM

I forgot to say that actually, that fact they can repair can be helpful late game considering how gimpy RE are.
6 Jul 2014, 12:10 PM

M10s are shit. Exiting vehicles for Thompsons? No thanks. Bulldozer Sherman is alright, but its only a little bit better than the standard Sherman atm so its not really worth choosing a doctrine for. Artillery is an ok ability but its such an expensive ability with no guarantee to actually do anything unlike the P47 rocket strafe. Even though I did this I still wouldn't recommend using them because thats incredibly rare and even if you can preserve the squad the flamethrowers still get blown up several times per game. Armor company overall is like a 2/10 right now.
6 Jul 2014, 12:50 PM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

I use em', they're great on close range maps or for helping get a volk squad outa green cover while a riflemen engages it from afar(I send them around the flanks, not towards the volks for those wondering). Primary reason I love having one of them is ofc demos. Planting early demos 2-4 mins into the game can really tip it in your favor if you place it well. I agree they're harder to keep alive late game, and are really only good at defending your back cutoffs or repairing/planting demos during that period of the game. Overall they are a good investment imo.

Pretty much what VonIvans said. I love using them on Urban maps like Semoisky and La Gleize. I use Demos nearly every time I gathered 90 munitions --> easy squadwipes if the enemy garrisons buildings. They proved to be very useful in the WFA opening cup.
7 Jul 2014, 00:45 AM

Assault engineer demos are amazing on semois, and even on langres if you 'hide' the demo charges at likely cover points like near the centre points or the fuel points
8 Jul 2014, 11:46 AM
Patrion 26

can the enemy see the demo charge and shoot it?
8 Jul 2014, 12:25 PM

can the enemy see the demo charge and shoot it?

Only with minesweepers and yes!
8 Jul 2014, 13:06 PM

Demo charge op, you can't even defuse it with upgrade minesweep engies...
8 Jul 2014, 15:29 PM

Attack ground does the trick with something that'll explode like a mortar, a nade (not sure bout that), or a tank shell
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★