Login

russian armor

Company of heroes 1>COH2?

4 Jul 2014, 13:39 PM

Does it matter? Play CoH1 if you prefer CoH1, play CoH2 if you prefer CoH2. Play both if you have fun playing both.

As a CoH1 vet, if you still believe its better then CoH2, you should be locked up in asylum.

As a CoH1 vet, I think you're an idiot.
4 Jul 2014, 15:56 PM
Patrion 14

I like them both. Simply as that. Kinda useless topic..
4 Jul 2014, 15:57 PM
Senior Editor Badge

CoH1 is the past.

CoH2 is the future.
4 Jul 2014, 16:12 PM

Great B8 m8.

I like to see every game separate.
A new generation is another struggle, we all only remember the final form of a old game that has reached it peak, and therefore look down at the small, undeveloped new game and denounce its legitimacy. I'd wait a few more days before passing a final judgement.
4 Jul 2014, 19:45 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jul 2014, 15:57 PMnigo
CoH1 is the past.

CoH2 is the future.

then i am really worried about the future
4 Jul 2014, 20:33 PM

The trouble with our times is that the future is not what it used to be.
-Paul Válery
4 Jul 2014, 20:53 PM

may i quote my steam review here?

Worthy sequel to coh1. Well balanced, many tactical options, breathtaking look. Too many people forget the dark sides of coh1: most matches depended on snipers and lucky countersniping, camping, artillery, lame stuff like the creeping barrage, bikes pushing you away from capping points, 15 rep bunker etc. Relic did a fine job reshaping sniper mechanics, ressource system and artillery mechanics: snipers cant be camo-ed in mid of road, are slower and more expensive, new ressource system brings a more frontline-based gameplay and alows more comebacks while neglecting mircroing-orgies, arty isnt that strong anymore much more vulnerable but mobile and can fire faster which gives it a support role and not a game-depending role.

Way too many people are prejudiced. i was sceptical too in the beginning because of the danger of simplifying, but relic took out the right things and added new, awesome stuff.

btw i have 400h playtime and didnt encounter one single commander which i couldnt beat with some mind. using common, "seemingly op tactics" just makes people more predictable

also relic did a really fine job with the new factions. imo they really fit in the game and are very well designed. not like the brits (i mean, a faction which is based on blobbing? really?)

5 Jul 2014, 15:21 PM

Coh2 has a slight edge but coh1 surprisingly is ahead on many aspects.

Coh2

Good

1. True sight. This alone makes coh2 superior. A major step into the future.
2. Climbing over obstacles. Coh1 desperately needed this option. Just hate being denied area because of a picket fence.
3. Removed jeep/bike pushing. Well that was until okw faction was released...
4. Sniper spam is gone.

Bad

1. The commander system is absolute trash. P2w commanders ruined all the other commanders.
2. Factions are a complete mess.
3. Poor frame rate unless you have a super computer.
4. Movable hq's and alternate retreat systems. Just a terrible concept for coh 1 or 2.
5. Too many units and abilities . Balance is a nightmare.

Coh2 could have been a huge success but unfortunately the franchise was in control of some very unscrupulous management. In one aspect the game engine and the universe had evolved and had taken a huge leap forward. On the other had some greedy and unqualified people took the whole franchise toward the gutter with dlc and p2w commander system. Did I mention how The digital collectors, the most loyal fan base was completely ripped off.

The franchise is in a weird spot right now. Coh2 is trying to rebuild and do damage control after the abysmal launch with the money scams. The devs are trying to move in a better direction but the damage is already done. The game feels like a child with divorced patents. Coh2 has two different philosophies trying to raise the game in two different directions.

So play the game, have some fun for what it is or what it could have been. Just do not pay relic any money towards the p2w garbage. Buy the core game and do not support paying for commanders.
5 Jul 2014, 15:54 PM

coh 2 is better
5 Jul 2014, 15:57 PM

Stopped reading after reading the title.
5 Jul 2014, 16:05 PM

what fucking world peaple live in?

off course they do that for money, off course they will try to win more money if that is possible.

''unscrupulous management'' captalism... son...

the thing is they hear about our feedback and stop with the politics of strong dlc.. that i never felt that is pay to win..

i like dlc content if is carefully introduce!! and peaple that dont want to buy dont need to.

and that what they are doing !

congrats to relic

more content is not a step back!!!! ...

dont be so afraid... bunch of teen agers scary girls!

If you want the same game that coh1 what is the reason to make coh2?
5 Jul 2014, 16:19 PM

Neither game is better than each other. They have nothing in common other than the name stop camparing the games please.
5 Jul 2014, 17:02 PM

COH2 is better for the following reasons:

• Snipers wars are over. No more having snipers cloaked in the middle of an open field.
  • PE and Brits were just awful factions that had terribly gimmickry mechanics.
  • Veterancy can no longer be bought.
  • COH2 gets constant patching where as balance issues and bugs just remained for years in COH1
    • Match making system is much quicker and streamlined in COH2.
        [/b][/b]

COH2 has it's problems but no worse then those that still exist in COH1. I'm not too terribly happy with the about of unit diversity that is actually being fielded in the US faction. I think most of the complaints are just looking through nostalgic rose colored glasses. Especially now that it seems they are moving away from paid commanders because of all the negative feedback.
5 Jul 2014, 17:07 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jul 2014, 05:05 AMSmaug
coh1 and coh2 are seperate games with seperate mechanics. Both are enjoyable in their seperate regimes.
5 Jul 2014, 17:10 PM

I'd say that while CoH1 definetly allowed for more diverse strategies, the gameplay itself and the UI feel so much more fluid in CoH2. Its just much more enjoyable to look at and to manage things.

Id say that CoH1 was a giant cube filled with a shitload of strategical depth. CoH2 is more like a giant ball with (obviously) way smoother edges but a little bit less depth in it.

Saying it from a gameplay perspective, i find CoH2 to be more enjoyable.

Other than that, we dont need more nostalgic "coh1 is so much bettar :3" threads. As already said, kthxbai.
5 Jul 2014, 17:11 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jul 2014, 05:05 AMSmaug
coh1 and coh2 are seperate games with seperate mechanics. Both are enjoyable in their seperate regimes.
5 Jul 2014, 17:12 PM

Does it matter? Play CoH1 if you prefer CoH1, play CoH2 if you prefer CoH2. Play both if you have fun playing both.

As a CoH1 vet, I think you're an idiot.

+1

Its not "nostalgia" if you've played both of them recently, derp. CoH2 has better sniper system and WFA has good doctrines. CoH1 is still a class above in many aspects. Light vehicles don't hard counter each other in half a second, territory defined pop cap, target tables, different units had different upkeep, no instant infantry engine damage abilities, no super tanks, doctrinal tanks didn't cost fuel so you could play your tiered units and still use your doctrine late game instead of deciding one or the other, and support teams were more fluid as someone said earlier. Oh and CoH1 had a much better mine system.
5 Jul 2014, 17:32 PM

this is how it works for me:

1. CoH 2: The Western Front Armies (standalone)
2. CoH 1
3. vanilla CoH 2

Seriously, people, anyone who still complains that coh1 was better is still stuck with vanilla coh2 in this comparison - the Western Front Armies is so much more polished and awesome. The nice new uniforms and landscapes alone make it much better than coh1.

And these new armies are better than what opposing fronts brought us for coh1 back then:
The new US Forces and Oberkommando West have the basic stuff, yet they feel unique and offer creative unit types.
5 Jul 2014, 18:12 PM

+1

Its not "nostalgia" if you've played both of them recently, derp. CoH2 has better sniper system and WFA has good doctrines. CoH1 is still a class above in many aspects. Light vehicles don't hard counter each other in half a second, territory defined pop cap, target tables, different units had different upkeep, no instant infantry engine damage abilities, no super tanks, doctrinal tanks didn't cost fuel so you could play your tiered units and still use your doctrine late game instead of deciding one or the other, and support teams were more fluid as someone said earlier. Oh and CoH1 had a much better mine system.

however light vehicles hardcountered your whole army instead. 1 early m8 and you ve lost if you were unlucky. you could psiotion your pak very well, but m8 still could run even FROM THE FRONT onto it as it could take 2 direct hits, circle and decrew it and BAM you ve lost.
thats why i love the new faust and at nades. in coh1 faust was mostly useless, in coh2 it has its own value as it forces your opponent not to just rush in and use your m8 like a pinball with mg on it.

in the end i felt like thats all what coh1 was about for me
in 1v1: paks misfiring on m8s
in 2v2: sniper roulette

really, all the last games i played felt like the same for me:

wehr player 1: spam snipers and mgs until nebelwerfer
wehr player 2: medbunker, vetgrens, flak
US player 1: rifles with BARs and medtent, then wait for calli, then spam m10 and throw them with warmachine at your opponent
US player 2: spam snipers and at guns, then howitzer

my experience:
1. the team with more snipers won
2. the team with the earlier arty won

7 Jul 2014, 17:15 PM

750 hours logged in CoH1, about 200 so far in CoH2.

... up until just recently they didn't even bother to include a game lobby.

In my opinion no lobbies is what made coh2 so enjoyable for me.

because in coh1...

... 40% of all lobbies were Hochwald Gap
... another 40% were sheldt
... you were kicked from lobbies because you were too good or you were too bad.
... you had to wait up to 30 mins to start a game via lobbies, because the host was afk or constantly kicked players who weren't "good" enough for his team.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★