Login

russian armor

Current WFA meta.

29 Jun 2014, 19:36 PM

So from my understanding the current WFA is as this :

- OKW goes for 4min HT, eats infantry, pushes US infantry away
- US gets their own HT at 4,5 / 5 mins and kills OKW HT

This halftrack rushing is boring as fuck. Everytime you see OKW or US as your opponent you know its going to be a HT rush and that you will need fast AT to not get stomped.

Both factions have such a number of strategical options, alot of builds to be yet tried.

But the OKW HT is so popular because it comes in a truck that has also a Puma (as a counter to US halftrack) and a Walkingstuka and Resource conversion. The only reason to go for the other truck is the forward reinforcement and healing point. It has a 420mp mortar like howie, a IR halftrack that is more of a gimmick than an actual unit and the Jagdpanzer which has 60 range and no turret, yet no Sight extension ability.

As you can see, you always go for that repair truck with the Flak HT, partly because you can use its resource conversion to get the HT even faster. On some maps, you can also salvage the already existing wrecks and get your HT at 3 mins out. As your third unit. Yep kids, its possible.

The reason US players go for their halftrack is pretty simple. It hardcounters the OKW one and is extremely strong too. It has no setup time, so its way more practical during combat.

In my very honest opinion, both Halftracks come way too early for what they can do. By the time the Ostheer gets their Scout car out, the US halftrack is usually on the field already. Ostheer needs some more love by the way. But this thread was made to discuss the current WFA meta, with the focus set on the new factions.

So how do you think about it? I personally think that both halftracks absolutely ruin the early game feel of the game, because you can get your infantry death machine out extremely fast. With the current meta, the days of good ol early infantry skirmishes are gone. And i dont like it.
29 Jun 2014, 19:54 PM

+1
29 Jun 2014, 19:54 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Same feeling here. Was gonna make a similar thread.

I would also want to ask if the DPS, and DPS drop off (when losing models, less affected by those with weapons) for SOV + OH is equiparable to US + OBK.

Besides a light nerf to US HT, it´s hard to see a way to delay it without overnerfing. Unless we are talking about switching units from tiers.
29 Jun 2014, 20:01 PM

The counter to fast teching is always to just apply more pressure. Get more infantry, control more of the map, bleed his infantry etc.

Also honestly people that rush vehicles are literally the easiest people to kill with mines because they think they're so early that they can be recklessly aggressive.
29 Jun 2014, 20:01 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

dont we have an identical thread about this
29 Jun 2014, 20:13 PM

Post link then.
29 Jun 2014, 20:16 PM

We dont, because this thread is not only about the fast arrival of the halftracks, its also about the tech structure of the OKW, where one truck is simply not that viable to get first when in comparison to the other truck.
29 Jun 2014, 21:10 PM

The counter to fast teching is always to just apply more pressure. Get more infantry, control more of the map, bleed his infantry etc.

Also honestly people that rush vehicles are literally the easiest people to kill with mines because they think they're so early that they can be recklessly aggressive.

You cant really apply that much pressure that early on. Its not like your units are roaming free on the map, there are still Sturmpios, Volks and MG's.
29 Jun 2014, 21:28 PM

I'd argue if there is any meta yet.

Most players still experiment and its quite likely there will be a balance patch month after release, which might adjust things that couldn't be caught up in alpha.

I've seen as many BOs as I've met players(except for USF, who really are less flexible in BOs then soviets were at their worst).
29 Jun 2014, 21:35 PM

You cant really apply that much pressure that early on. Its not like your units are roaming free on the map, there are still Sturmpios, Volks and MG's.

Concentration of forces is more important. Two squads will always force off one squad. Having more squads and making smart movements allows you to gain map control and push your opponent off. Every retreat is a minute long before that unit is relevant again.

It's like the DoW2 meta, itshifted from quick T2's to prolonged T1's because players learned to take advantage of stronger unit presence in t1 to cripple their opponents economy, while being able to deal with whatever they fast teched to simply by waiting it out for a minute and building the necessary counter. It took years to come about and some pioneering from some great players, but the idea of rushing t2 has been pretty much been eradicated in high level play. Instead, you teched based on how much you observed your opponent spending his resources.

The game is young. The expansion is younger. You'd be amazed how much the metagame can change over the years even without any patches. People learn to play better. I can name dozens of things that people used to consider unviable, impossible to micro or ridiculous that became standard play in DoW2 in the last 5 years. I've seen it happen with other games as well.

Kneejerk reactions are bad, mkay. You end up like Riot and have an awful back and forth seesaw of balance overreacting to complaints.

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jun 2014, 21:28 PMKatitof
I'd argue if there is any meta yet.

Most players still experiment and its quite likely there will be a balance patch month after release, which might adjust things that couldn't be caught up in alpha.

I've seen as many BOs as I've met players(except for USF, who really are less flexible in BOs then soviets were at their worst).

Eh, I think people could do some cool stuff that doesn't involve riflemen. For example you could build a bunch of rear echelon guys and then abandon all your vehicles to get the tank crews and crew them with RE. Seems like it'd have potential with the armour doctrine and weapon racks.
29 Jun 2014, 21:44 PM

They are both significant fuel investments that die fairly easily to handheld AT. I'd like to see how strats develop to counter them before they get nerfed too much.
29 Jun 2014, 22:15 PM
Patrion 15

I don't really want to see the units themselves nerfed as much as I would like to see them delayed somehow. I don't really know how this could be accomplished without making them cost more fuel than they are worth, and I don't think buffing them to compensate is a good idea.
29 Jun 2014, 23:29 PM

You see a OKW Flak halftrack at least you can use your bazooka/ at nade or something on it cause it got a hard time to retreat ( 2 seconds )

you see an american halftrack you mostly are fuck( no need to explain anymore ).

30 Jun 2014, 01:05 AM

Swap the AT gun and US halftrack in T2/T3.

Make the OKW HT cost 10 fuel more or something.

30 Jun 2014, 01:12 AM

Am I the only one that dosnt rush for a halftrack as either faction?
30 Jun 2014, 01:15 AM

How about this ?

Tier 1 : Rear Echelon, Rifleman, Light arty thing.

Tier 2 : Lt with 2x Bazooka MG / Medic truck / M20

Tier 3 : Capt with 3x thompson /Flak halftrack/ Stuart/ AT Gun.

That way, even if you go tier 2 you still have some AT capable ( AT mine from M20 and Lt ) and if you go tier 3 your captain can fuck some shit up in close range only.

----------------------------

Any one of you find it annoying at the way US base design ? on some map when retreat, my man will just stand outside the base and that's cool by me but on some other map they try to run inside ( yo what ? ).

As a OKW, Rus, old german, you know where to place your medic bunker/base but on US I find it pretty annoying.

Also, the way those weapon rack facing also pretty pain in the ass. Sometimes I have to spend 10 seconds just to get guns from weapon rack and then run back out again. I will get some examples tonight.

----------------------------

Btw I rather have the OKW FLAK Halftrack can only fire in front of it like the kuberwagen then the fucking set up time bullshit -_-.

Well damn son, until next patch come out, American Rush AA Halftrack strategy it is. A win is a win after all.
30 Jun 2014, 02:20 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jun 2014, 01:12 AMBubalo
Am I the only one that dosnt rush for a halftrack as either faction?

30 Jun 2014, 05:27 AM
Patrion 14

I'm not one of those belligerent vCoH taleban-types, but...

The time and pacing of the Puma / Greyhound meta was just perfect. Sublime.

I want to see something like that. Personally I blame the M3, whereby chunky light armour is available off the bat.

Edit - yeah I rush the OKW halfie then immediately switch to ammo resource increase. This means I usually have a shrek by the time the US halfie appears.
30 Jun 2014, 05:47 AM

i'd like to have the US HT and pack howie swapped over. this way the lieutenant tech is all about infantry, infantry support and forming a static defensive line. HMG, pack howie and utility cars, comes early but early armour can really fuck them over without bazookas.

as for the captain, the HT becomes the backbone of his tech, providing good fire support and all his other unlocks are there to support the HT from getting screwed over by light armour.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 27
United Kingdom 311
United States 16
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %