Login

russian armor

How do i play soviets vs OKW?

23 Jun 2014, 22:03 PM

Hi, i have recently been playing with soviets against OKW. but with no success, i find them to be very over powered against soviets. If you have any idea on how best to play against OKW feel free to leave a reply.
23 Jun 2014, 22:28 PM

M3's, Maxim's, snipers all do well vs OKW in general.

I'd start with an M3 strat and see how you fare from there. You should get early map control as OKW do not have an early faust, just watch out for the little at guns and early flaktruck/Puma.
23 Jun 2014, 23:25 PM

Also do not close in with the Sturmpios and do not let them close with you, or if they try, make sure you are in cover and they are moving out of cover/through red cover. It's still pretty RNG if they drop a few models before getting to close range but they should drop at least 1 and have a 2nd injured and close to dropping.

But as stated, if you go M3 and keep at range or Maxim or two you should be fine.

Try to keep the Maxim back behind some infantry, even if its a combat engie to spot for it, otherwise you could get it flanked easily by another Sturmpio squad and it will drop fast.
24 Jun 2014, 03:07 AM

OKW has a weak economy, I like to be aggressive and get his cut off with M3+Flamer. His already weak fuel income is now zero, thus I win the tech race.

So I go T1, M3, Penals, Sniper, then Guards for soft AT and finally quick t-70. at this point it's GG most of the time.

The only fuel free AT they have is the raketen werfer, which has short range, cut their fuel and you should dominate them. Also Volks and Sturms have no panzerfaust to deter your light vehicles and armour.

OKW AT is either weak or very strong fuel AT, there's no middle ground.

Go for the jugular against OKW, if the game drags on they get their super heavy units out and vet 5 squads and you're in trouble.
26 Jun 2014, 09:35 AM

Hey guys,
I tried several matches as soviet VS OKW in multiplayer now.
I trained a bit against a "hard" bot, so I could think of a rough tactic.

I tried my standard vs Wehr tactic with 4 cons, (Insert random AT guns/Maxims if needed) 2 Guards and then Spam T34. Completely useless: His Volks are somehow beatable, but his Sturmpioneers destroy me. My Cons have high health but low accuaracy -> GET UP CLOSE! When I get up close, Sturmpioneers shred my units. When I stay on long range these filthy soviet peasents are unable to hit shit -> NO DAMAGE.
And if I - luckily- get the control to the map, I AM UNABLE TO SOFT COUNTER HIS FREAKING TRUCKS WITH AT NADES... Thats garbage, sorry Devs.

Then I tried your idea, frencho.
I built 3x M3 and managed to cap the importants points at the map with the aid of 2 flame Pio and 1x flame penal. added support of maxims and sniper. I also noticed that my enemy clearly was solid, but didnt micro very well and lost some whole units. he countered with 3x Schreck Volx. I And then it begun: Puma Spam with Fallschirmjäger spam. He gets nearly the best anti inf unit in the game for 440MP (yeah thats alot) but without spending any munitions.
Then Pumas have ridicoulus good armor vs Guard's AT Rifle. I needed about 10-12 hits (hopefully im remembering correctly). A 70fuel light tank unit shouldnt have so much decent armor. Simple real life comparison: T70 has 45-50mm armor on the front side, Puma has 30mm and almost nothing on the sides (8mm).

This is my angry review of a great addon, but many many things are still super duper crappy balanced. Starting with nade refund and etc.

Maybe someone of you guys sees, where my ultimate FAILS are or what I keep doing wrong. If someone likes to fight me to show me how its done, PN and lets go. Best regards from Western Germany (Hehe^^).
26 Jun 2014, 12:15 PM

I use that doc with shocks, ppsh and heavy mortar.
27 Jun 2014, 18:17 PM

So, I'm on a 3 loss streak with Soviets against OKW since the patch hit.

With the M3 mega nerf. Building M3s is too risky, you only have 10 fuel left after building T1 so you have to wait around 2 mins to get one, and building more than 2 is a big investment of 30 fuel. M3 spam is no longer viable, pretty much nerfed to the ground. Now how can the Red Army counter OKW besides maxim spam which gets hard countered by Fallschirmjagers at 3 CP?

Soviets are badly designed and useless against OKW in 1v1. If I can't finish the game around the 15 min mark, it's lost as OKW late game is unbeatable with their vetted elite infantry and armour unless the player makes a massive blunder.

I might try an all or nothing build with soviet industry to try to crush them early with T70 spam. But I'm short on ideas for new tactics besides that.
27 Jun 2014, 22:18 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jun 2014, 18:17 PMFrencho
So, I'm on a 3 loss streak with Soviets against OKW since the patch hit.

With the M3 mega nerf. Building M3s is too risky, you only have 10 fuel left after building T1 so you have to wait around 2-3 mins to get one, and building more than 2 is a big investment of 30 fuel. M3 spam is no longer viable, pretty much nerfed to the ground. Now how can the Red Army counter OKW besides maxim spam which gets hard countered by Fallschirmjagers at 3 CP?

Soviets are badly designed and useless against OKW in 1v1. If I can't finish the game around the 15 min mark, it's lost as OKW late game is unbeatable with their vetted elite infantry and armour unless the player makes a massive blunder.

I might try an all or nothing build with soviet industry to try to crush them early with T70 spam. But I'm short on ideas for new tactics besides that.

Ok well I’ve won most of my soviet vs OKW games but I don’t know what your level of play is and I may have just gotten lucky and only played vs noobs. As for M3’s go they still work for me. Building M3’s are always risky and if they aren’t micro’d well, then they can be overwhelmed and killed.
My standard build vs OKW is…
Build tier 1, while eng are building build conscripts, as soon as conscripts are out you may need to wait 10 sec for you to have enough manpower to start building an M3. As soon as the M3 is out I send it out to harass. I try to keep the eng squad capping near to it so it can fall back to them if it needs repairs. I do not put engineers into the M3 because I want them out capping and the M3 harassing. If the M3 finds a squad by itself unsupported (a very good chance that this will happen) I rush the m3 in close to do maximum damage. ( no need to stay back and kite in this situation since OKW have no early AT except for that Anti-Tank Rocket Launcher and no one builds that right off the bat)
Depending on how the OKW respond determines what I do next. At this point I either build another conscript squad or wait a few extra seconds for a penal battalion. If OKW go and build a Kübelwagen then I focus on building conscripts and try and take it out with the M3. If they go with Volksgrenadiers I focus on building penal battalions and begin equipping everything with flamers. If they start building Sturmpioneer Squads I either build more M3’s and combat eng squads to bleed his manpower or just start building snipers.
When I play against OKW I work off the assumption that they will probably not have any hard counter to the M3 in the early game. Also I assume that if you keep up a constant pressure all around the map you can delay him from tecking up for a while.
Both the US and OKW benefit the most from grouping their units together in blobs. Keep that in mind and go for the unguarded points and then move to avoid being overwhelmed.
I hope that helped. If you are still having trouble leave a replay and we will try and figure out what went wrong.
30 Jun 2014, 11:36 AM

Oh come on! How is it possible to loose against OKW using Soviets? Just has a fast clown car with flamethrowers on it. Wait an early Flaktrak or a Puma, counter it (or both) with a pair of guards.
Moreover the most valuable unit of OKW in the very beginning of the game is the Kubelwagen, just upgrade AT nades and use them. No way OKW can win. Handle with care just their Sturmpio (also a Maxim spam can be usefull with that strategy).
30 Jun 2014, 17:25 PM

That's because you're playing against average OKW players.

I've been using CELO tool, Don't know why, but I'm regularly matched up with 100-200 rank OKW players even if I'm around 2000 rank with Soviets in 1v1. At launch I won most my games as the Red Army vs OKW, but now OKW players are getting better at countering them.

M3 spam is useful early game, but if the OKW keeps his resolve, the Red Army has nothing against OKW besides solid mid game tanks. the Red Army's infantry is just abysmal compared to obersoldaten, sturmpionneers, Fallchsmijaggers and panzefusilisiers. OKW troops are extremely effective at ALL ranges.

Conscripts have no scalability whatsoever, Penal Battalions get shredded by sturmpios even at mid ranges, Guards rifles are just average if you keep them at long ranges and shock troops are of limited use and very situational as they need to be right next to the enemy infantry to deal any damage.

I've been having most success with soviet industry T-70 rushes (2 of them) then into T-34. Going all vehicular seems the best bet as Soviet infantry is just lousy, a waste of manpower.

At least the USA armed forces have good infantry, but I can't say the same about the troops of the Red Army.

As I said, if you don't win in 10-15 mins, you're in for a world of hurt.
4 Jul 2014, 02:03 AM

A method that hasn't failed me yet, touch wood, is:
Conscript -> Maxim -> Maxim/Mortar -> ATgun -> Shocks -> ISU-152

Building the conscript, at the same time as tier 2, let's me seize areas of the map quicker.
The first maxim is a must as it can help your Conscript take out the far superior Volks or Sturmpios( A little suppression goes a long way ;))

The second maxim is to be used if the map is very open or you need to lock down more than one route at once. The mortar is for if one mg is working fine and you want something to force them out of cover, so that they get suppressed before the Conscripts are sent in, or to counter mg34s.

The AT gun provides decent defence against their flak half track upgrades and also allows you to force them to attack if you can get their panzer truck or medic truck in range.

Once the shocks hit the field their infantry is easily beaten. You can vet up your shocks quickly against their standard units and, once vet 1, shouldn't have an issue against their fallschirmjager.

With some aggressive play from the shocks and at guns, you should be able to cut off their fuel and buy enough time to wait for the ISU, which works great against any blobs they develop to counter your shocks aswell as providing the long range at that your army is lacking by this point. ALWAYS keep a shock unit close to the ISU. This is to mop up any panzershrek units they send around the side. It can also help to keep within range of your field ATgun too, if they send some pumas your way.

If you feel that they have collected too much fuel for your liking, don't hesitate to spend muni on mining the flanks. Just make sure that you keep enough for smoke and nades for your shock troops.

I've yet to play against a vehicle heavy OKW player so I don't know how this will fare against them, but it's working well so far. The tactic also translated well into 2v2 and 3v3 aswell.
4 Jul 2014, 02:32 AM

I found t1 and m3 super strong against okw in the early game. also been using the defencive commander as all t2 units in it and then building t1 to t3. dsk hmg and120mm mortar are very affective against okw, 120 mortar rapes all suport weapons and squads and doed good damage against the building/trucks.
4 Jul 2014, 16:25 PM
Patrion 15

To be honest though, try T2 T3 guards with a fast T70 into double T34-85s. Once you roll out T34-85s the OKW struggles to deal with them, guards are beastly w/ DPs and maxims, mortars, and atgs all do work.
7 Jul 2014, 00:18 AM

Snipers and Scout car are both great units in this MU.

OKW has slow reinforcement, and this lets you maintain an early game map advantage as conscripts + sniper can beat both sturmpios or volks with ease.

The Scout car is only really vulnerable to an early RW, but most players don't think to build one. Mines could also screw you too though I guess.

Penal Batt is nice in this match up because satchel charges are great for killing any forward trucks. (Or atleast heavily damaging them and killing all the units nearby)
7 Jul 2014, 19:39 PM

The M3 can get really chewed up by Sturmpioneers now.
7 Jul 2014, 20:08 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

C'mon now.

No more BS talk from you. Replay, or it did not happen.

7 Jul 2014, 22:11 PM

The M3 can get really chewed up by Sturmpioneers now.

Yeah a good flank will mess it up pretty good.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★