Login

russian armor

The Western Front Armies and CoH2 future

6 Jun 2014, 17:58 PM

Why The Western Front Armies could be the beginning of Company of Heroes 2's bright future

5th Jun 2014 | 22:06

The Western Front Armies reassures me that Company of Heroes 2 will have a stable and interesting future. I was upset when Relic and THQ abandoned their free-to-play version of the franchise in 2011, Company of Heroes Online, which we then thought highly enough of to put on our Top 100 PC Games list.

And it’s clever of Relic, then, to release The Western Front in a way that feels slightly similar to free-to-play games. The expansion will add two armies to Company of Heroes 2 on June 24, but they’ll be individually purchasable (or as a $20 package), meaning if you simply want to play as the US Forces, it’ll be a modest $13 to do so. Relic strongly hinted to me that it intends to release more armies in the future, too: “If the community wants armies we’ll make them. I personally love working on and building armies because it’s a lot of fun, but we’ll continue supporting the game in big ways and in hundreds of little ways,” Game Director Quinn Duffy told me. Speculating, that means there’s a chance we’ll see British, Japanese, or maybe Italian forces joining the game months down the line. I like the idea of these militaries serving as potential entry points for new players—owning one army won’t preclude you from playing against the others, of course.

What’s best about this format for the expansion, though, is that The Western Front won’t undercut the already-healthy custom map community (there’s currently 1,500 entries in Steam Workshop) or the planned moddability of CoH2 that will follow TWFA’s release. Duffy told me that Relic sees CoH2 as a “WWII platform” that it plans to work on “for years to come,” and this approach certainly doesn’t contradict that—both modders and Relic will be contributing content .

The plan is good, but so is the implementation, from what I’ve seen. The match-and-a-half I played on two of The Western Front’s new maps as the German Oberkommando West and US Forces was nothing but encouraging. Both armies have gotten tons of careful attention by Relic, whose animators continue to craft disproportionately expressive units. One of the iconic Oberkommando units, the Sturmtiger tank, is as nimble as a pregnant, armored mammoth, and you can hear its bassy engine struggling to push its weight, the audio for which is drawn from real recordings by Relic. And when the Sturmtiger finally launches its ridiculous, 380 mm rocket, the explosion temporarily deafens you if you’ve got the camera nearby.

In controlling them, both new armies are distinct from CoH2’s existing forces, with the US operating as a hyper-versatile team focused on mobility and the Oberkommando being technologically advanced and outfitted with heavy tanks. And most of these playstyle distinctions seem to be driven by history. The US side “performs well tactically by flanking, using cover, keeping mobile, and many of the game systems for the army support those approaches. Many of their tanks can fire very well on the move because tanks like the Sherman were equipped with gyro-stabilized gun mounts. They can also fire their abilities on the move to use smoke, for example, to cover their approach or their retreat away from the big enemy tanks,” says Duffy. “We describe the US as an army that bent, but didn’t break, so the players need to be flexible, mobile, and not get into slug matches with heavier opponents. Find locations where their numbers can be used to make breakthroughs and grab territory, set up defensive lines with AT guns or artillery and look for the next tactical opportunity.”

For the Oberkommando, it’s interesting that Relic is trying to represent the battle-hardened but also resource-strapped state that the German army was in in late 1944. “The OKW use their sWS Supply Half-tracks to gain extra resources from the map, but have to maintain supply lines effectively,” says Duffy. “Their half-tracks can also convert to their tech structures, each with a distinct role designed around creating battlefield synergy and team play. One building (the Mechanized Regiment HQ) can act as a retreat point where soldiers can be healed and reinforced, and the Battle Group HQ is equipped with a 3.7cm Flak cannon for effective area defense. It allows the OKW to really control their base territory plus-one and create and hold their own little Battle of the Bulge on every map.” Duffy summarizes the style of the Oberkommando this way: “Players have to grab territory, hold on, be active in the defense around a few hardpoints on the map, and use their mid-tier supporting vehicles and artillery options wisely. Heavy tanks can win the battle, but not the war.”

The Western Front Armies should be a great start of Relic’s next wave of work on Company of Heroes 2. Eight new maps, new content for mapmakers, UI improvements, a new “War Spoils” system, and better matchmaking are all part of the package in addition to the two armies, but maybe more heartening is Relic’s commitment to making CoH2 moddable after the release of TWFA as it continues to add more content.

http://m.pcgamer.com/previews/why-the-western-front-armies-could-be-the-beginning-of-company-of-heroes-2s-bright-future
6 Jun 2014, 18:31 PM
Donator 33

This sounds good (with the exceptions of OKW base-vehicles sounding a lot like ye old Brits ruining map-flow and the ridiculous intro putting COHO on the Top 100 lol).

Here's hoping for Brits and the Afrika-korps as the third expansion :)
6 Jun 2014, 18:34 PM

It'd be neat if they could do Germans, Italians, French, and British in Africa. But it'd have to be separated from the base game.
6 Jun 2014, 18:45 PM

I am in favor of the Japanese, U.S. Marine Corps, Far Eastern Red Army
6 Jun 2014, 18:52 PM

A co-belligerent army would be cool. A mix of Italian and Romanian and Hungarian troops and doctrines. Since it would be hard to implement these armies individually we could combine them.
The Finns could work as a stand-alone I think.

I like the idea of Japanese, us marines, and far eastern army too.
6 Jun 2014, 19:50 PM

A co-belligerent army would be cool. A mix of Italian and Romanian and Hungarian troops and doctrines. Since it would be hard to implement these armies individually we could combine them.

I actually thought about that yesterday. Romania supplied the most troops but Hungary had and Italy had their own armour, although it was mostly shit quality, so they'd have to rely on German tech in the late game. The strongest thing they had among them was when the Romanians removed the turret from a Czechoslovakian Light Tank and put a ZiS-3 (captured in large numbers during the invasion) ontop.
6 Jun 2014, 21:46 PM
Patrion 14

It'd be neat if they could do Germans, Italians, French, and British in Africa. But it'd have to be separated from the base game.

Won't sell in 'Murica.

You need 1943 Kesserine Pass up to Sicily and Italy with Patton (etc).

Mebbe they'll do a special 'Patton bitch slaps a PTSD sufferer and gets busted' DLC.

But seriously, North Africa would be great but without the Americans it's more niche than the Eastern Front (which is so huge it can carry itself marketing / interest-wise).

Plus, TBH, America 1943-44 on the African / Southern European front has some really interesting units.

Edit - basically call it Company of Heroes - The Big Red One and it'll fly.
7 Jun 2014, 09:20 AM

Why do people never like the Chinese? they had a u huge impact on the Asian front
7 Jun 2014, 09:30 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Jun 2014, 09:20 AMJaigen
Why do people never like the Chinese? they had a u huge impact on the Asian front

Because an army made of millions of infantry and two scrap made tanks is boring?
7 Jun 2014, 09:32 AM

Because an army made of millions of infantry and two scrap made tanks is boring?

12 - man squads would be fun!!1
7 Jun 2014, 09:59 AM

I hope they expand the game in many ways. I also hope the ensure existing armies are re consolidated where necessary. They also need to remember not just armies and commanders but back end systems things like observer mode, in game leaderboards etc.

It should be good though :)
7 Jun 2014, 10:02 AM
Patrion 14

They should have an 'Axis' commander who isn't German and who comprises of Italian, Romanian, Hungarian and Balkan levies. It would be light raiding faction with a focus on infantry. Heavy stuff would be German call-ins I would imagine.

At the end of each game they could get marched off to a gulag or a uranium mine for backing the wrong side.

Another not-very-politically correct but cool faction would be 'Foreign Volunteer Legions' i.e. the hordes of non-Germans or ethnic Germans who joined the SS.
7 Jun 2014, 10:09 AM

Another not-very-politically correct but cool faction would be 'Foreign Volunteer Legions' i.e. the hordes of non-Germans or ethnic Germans who joined the SS.

Only Waffen-SS Division Wiking classifies as an actual combat division with foreign SS volunteers. The other foreign divisions were only divisions in name, not in unit and combat strenth. Unfortunately, this is not enough to build an entire CoH2 faction on.
7 Jun 2014, 10:09 AM

They should have an 'Axis' commander who isn't German and who comprises of Italian, Romanian, Hungarian and Balkan levies. It would be light raiding faction with a focus on infantry. Heavy stuff would be German call-ins I would imagine.

At the end of each game they could get marched off to a gulag or a uranium mine for backing the wrong side.

Considering that 60% of people in the SS were not Germans, can make such a fraction, but 3 Germans fraction? this is overkill
7 Jun 2014, 10:49 AM

Is there any information on a rework of bulletins for western fronts?
7 Jun 2014, 11:23 AM
Patrion 310

A Japanese faction with island maps would be cool but they had rather nimble tanks with regard to the later war period.
7 Jun 2014, 11:44 AM

A Japanese faction with island maps would be cool but they had rather nimble tanks with regard to the later war period.

I would imagine they would be a faction that has nice defensive infantry but terrible armor. Maybe instead they would have to rely heavily on off-map abilities, similar to the close-air support and ostruppen doctrines. From what I can understand, they are a WW1 army with state of the art naval and air support.
7 Jun 2014, 14:29 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Jun 2014, 11:44 AMTri86

I would imagine they would be a faction that has nice defensive infantry but terrible armor. Maybe instead they would have to rely heavily on off-map abilities, similar to the close-air support and ostruppen doctrines. From what I can understand, they are a WW1 army with state of the art naval and air support.
That's a bit much. Japenese land forces where much better then WW1. It's just that their land forces production never really exceeded what the allies had in 1942. Their weapon development was compararable to allies too maybe a bit worse. Their biggest problem was more that none of those prototypes could be built do to lack of resources and what was was spent on naval and air vehicles.

To be honest, a lot of WW2 propaganda still effects a lot of peoples opinion of the Japenese army of WW2 at the time leading lots of people to believe they were more inferior then they were. The Japenese were still very advanced compared to other nations at the time other then germans and the big 3 allies.
7 Jun 2014, 15:44 PM

That's a bit much. Japenese land forces where much better then WW1. It's just that their land forces production never really exceeded what the allies had in 1942. Their weapon development was compararable to allies too maybe a bit worse. Their biggest problem was more that none of those prototypes could be built do to lack of resources and what was was spent on naval and air vehicles.

To be honest, a lot of WW2 propaganda still effects a lot of peoples opinion of the Japenese army of WW2 at the time leading lots of people to believe they were more inferior then they were. The Japenese were still very advanced compared to other nations at the time other then germans and the big 3 allies.

What makes Japan similar to Oberkommando. A lot of infantry from the cannon fodder - infantrymen to elite - paratroopers and marines,cheap tanks and very expensive prototypes. But Relic states that Japan can not do.
7 Jun 2014, 15:50 PM

I prefer if there was a COH2 expansion about early-mid war: summer 1941-summer 1943 Eastern Front (before a massive turning point in the war) and North Africa.

The Soviets and the Germans fielded different armies with different equipment. Ditto for the Britsh/CW and the Afrika corps/Italian forces.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 33
United States 2
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak