Login

russian armor

S-Mines

3 Jun 2014, 10:35 AM

They are so horribly designed and if used right can far too cost effective, far too easily.
Mines from both factions are off right now, soviets probably more so but that's been spoken about and everyone knows about it. However the S-mines are similarly ridiculous...

Too easy to plant.
- pioneers can go deep into territory, start laying mines, if he gets shot at then he retreats but he will have put up at least one segment already due to their very short build time

When spammed they become ridiculous area deniers.
- When spammed defensively around the cut off it basically becomes a no go zone as one mg can pretty easily lock down a massive area.

Too hard to get rid of.
- When put down offensively they become a nightmare to get rid of. Sweepers take soooo long to clear them that it's nearly cost effective even if they don't kill anyone.

The big drawback, sometimes isn't really there.
- The signs, sometimes they are obvious, sometimes they are hidden, and it's totally down to chance whether they are or not. No game mechanic should be like this.

I'm not really sure of a solution, I think they are just fundamentally badly designed and they will never change which is sad as it doesn't promote good game play and is just horribly frustrating to play against while being unsatisfying to use.
3 Jun 2014, 10:52 AM

They are so horribly designed and if used right can far too cost effective, far too easily.
Mines from both factions are off right now, soviets probably more so but that's been spoken about and everyone knows about it. However the S-mines are similarly ridiculous...

Too easy to plant.
- pioneers can go deep into territory, start laying mines, if he gets shot at then he retreats but he will have put up at least one segment already due to their very short build time

When spammed they become ridiculous area deniers.
- When spammed defensively around the cut off it basically becomes a no go zone as one mg can pretty easily lock down a massive area.

Too hard to get rid of.
- When put down offensively they become a nightmare to get rid of. Sweepers take soooo long to clear them that it's nearly cost effective even if they don't kill anyone.

The big drawback, sometimes isn't really there.
- The signs, sometimes they are obvious, sometimes they are hidden, and it's totally down to chance whether they are or not. No game mechanic should be like this.

I'm not really sure of a solution, I think they are just fundamentally badly designed and they will never change which is sad as it doesn't promote good game play and is just horribly frustrating to play against while being unsatisfying to use.

Just build some sweepers and keep your eyes open for the signs. They are BIG. No player can be cached by surprise if he looks where he sent his squad to. Manny things can clear them fast and easy. Drive a T34 on top of them and you swept the mines in 3 seconds. Barrage them with a Zis gun and they're gone. They are not a problem, just a matter of attention. Or a matter of L2P if solutions above don't work for u.
3 Jun 2014, 11:07 AM
Patrion 14

The only real problem with S-Mines are when they're on a retreat path imo. It's just ridicilous that retreating squads would run through a field with huge signs next to them. All in all I feel like S-Mines could use a nerf though, just like pretty much every explosive (ISU-152 shot, soviet mines, German rifle grenade, etc).
3 Jun 2014, 11:33 AM

The only real problem with S-Mines are when they're on a retreat path imo. It's just ridicilous that retreating squads would run through a field with huge signs next to them. All in all I feel like S-Mines could use a nerf though, just like pretty much every explosive (ISU-152 shot, soviet mines, German rifle grenade, etc).

I can understand the ISU nerf ( just make it have more scatter at long range). The soviet mine can't say much since mines are meant to kill people anyway but rifle grenades? It's not as powerful as last patch and costs 30 ammo. It's quite expensive for something that does not guarantee the death of enemy squads. Care to state your reason?
3 Jun 2014, 11:37 AM

Just build some sweepers and keep your eyes open for the signs. They are BIG. No player can be cached by surprise if he looks where he sent his squad to. Manny things can clear them fast and easy. Drive a T34 on top of them and you swept the mines in 3 seconds. Barrage them with a Zis gun and they're gone. They are not a problem, just a matter of attention. Or a matter of L2P if solutions above don't work for u.

- T-34 doesn't come out until 10 mins mark
- Zis barrage is just a daft solution......... (60 muni abilty to get rid of a 15 muni mine patch?)

If they are spammed, it's almost impossible to see where is safe and where is not. They can be layed for 15 muni, the amount of area denial you get is silly.

Even when you see the signs, it does not matter. It stops you going there for a good few mins...
3 Jun 2014, 12:03 PM

Permanently Banned
HT pio enemyBase Sminefield = maximum trolling
3 Jun 2014, 12:12 PM

The only issue I see with them now is that it takes very little time to lay them down and very long time to remove them. I think they should make them take a little longer to lay down.
3 Jun 2014, 12:17 PM

Pro loses men too to S mine because they cap by using minimap or tach map
3 Jun 2014, 12:50 PM

cant you use a mortar and attack ground and destroy some that way
3 Jun 2014, 13:03 PM

cant you use a mortar and attack ground and destroy some that way

Absolutely you can, but that is if you have a mortar in the first place.
3 Jun 2014, 13:36 PM

- T-34 doesn't come out until 10 mins mark
- Zis barrage is just a daft solution......... (60 muni abilty to get rid of a 15 muni mine patch?)

If they are spammed, it's almost impossible to see where is safe and where is not. They can be layed for 15 muni, the amount of area denial you get is silly.

Even when you see the signs, it does not matter. It stops you going there for a good few mins...

Psst! Dude... S-mines cost 60 amo...
3 Jun 2014, 13:40 PM

a single patch costs 15 munis. You need to have 60 to start planting it, but you can stop planting once one is done and the 45 munis will be refunded.

S-mines are fine in my opinion in terms of damage. What's not fine is that they plant so ridiciluosly quickly if you manage to sneak your pios behind and plant them on a retreat path you can effectively wipe a shit ton of units.
3 Jun 2014, 13:41 PM

You can do many things to destroy S-mines fields, many of these things are cheaper or cost zero. S-mines aren't a problem. Soviets need to be careful while moving units. What, you want even more soviet trololo with blobs on the field without care or micro?
Gsus, every time I played soviets I found myself having piles of mp and build whatever I wanted all the time. A unit killed by an S-mine field is nothing. You may even build a squad for that purpose: to clear an area of mines :)
3 Jun 2014, 13:42 PM

If only germans had a few decent doctrines that allow for muni spam.

OH WAIT!
3 Jun 2014, 13:45 PM

You can do many things to destroy S-mines fields, many of these things are cheaper or cost zero. S-mines aren't a problem. Soviets need to be careful while moving units. What, you want even more soviet trololo with blobs on the field without care or micro?
Gsus, every time I played soviets I found myself having piles of mp and build whatever I wanted all the time. A unit killed by an S-mine field is nothing. You may even build a squad for that purpose: to clear an area of mines :)

???? what??? This post just shows that you have absolutely absolutely 0 understanding of the game. Ever heard of unit preservation?
3 Jun 2014, 13:45 PM

If only germans had a few decent doctrines that allow for muni spam.

OH WAIT!

:D yes, you figured it out. They do. Opel blitz on amo :rolleyes:
3 Jun 2014, 13:54 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Jun 2014, 13:45 PMBurts

???? what??? This post just shows that you have absolutely absolutely 0 understanding of the game. Ever heard of unit preservation?

;)trolling man, just trolling. Anyway, it's still true that for soviets loosing a squad is more forgiving that as in germans case.
3 Jun 2014, 14:23 PM

S-Mines take 2 direct hits to kill a person. Nerfing them would mean they take 3 hits to kill a person, which would make them extremely forgiving and you'd never see anyone lose a squad to one unless they order and forget (send a con to cap, never check back or listen for their voices).

S-Mines give you multiple warnings. First is the signs which are always visible. Next is the explosions, which as said take 2 hits to kill one guy. To wipe a squad, they have to march right into the center of the field, and if you haven't stopped them by then, too bad.

The only bad thing is like someone else said, they wipe retreating squads very easily. That's not something that can be helped by being observant.
3 Jun 2014, 14:38 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

The only problem with s mines is their quick build time. Combine that building one patch will yield multiple smines and defusing them takes quite some time compared to building them.
3 Jun 2014, 14:44 PM

The problem is you have to take into account the running time for building them. Pioneers waste time running around in order to set up the entire field, so they made the field build faster to offset that. But it has the side effect of 'build one patch and run'. One patch won't wipe a squad, but it's still fairly annoying.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 65
Germany 29
unknown 27
Brazil 5
United Kingdom 76
United States 11

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W