Login

russian armor

Solution for support weapons spam (maxim currently)

27 May 2014, 04:41 AM

There is allot of discussion about support weapons spam especially maxim being op, unfair, annoying to play against, etc.

I agree that its very annoying and gives the spammer an unfair advantage. I think the solution to make support weapons less easy to spam is to reduce their sight slightly. For example, if sight for all infantry is 50, it should be made 40 for support weapons.

Therefore, if a good player carefully approaches a point he can see the maxim/mg42 before the support weapon sees him and stop or take a different rout. I think this rewards good play and reduces the incentive to spam support weapons and send them off on their own to dominate the whole map.
27 May 2014, 05:09 AM

I would be OK with this if vet 1 for both units gave back the old sight radius.

edit: because oorah and riflenades are already such good counters to MGs, and I think it should be viable to have a well positioned MG alone not be vulnerable to a single main-line infantry unit that doesn't know where the MG is.
27 May 2014, 05:12 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 May 2014, 05:09 AMDanielD
I would be OK with this if vet 1 for both units gave back the old sight radius.

vet 1 for maxim and mg42 used to give a sight radius increase? When was it changed?
27 May 2014, 05:27 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 May 2014, 04:41 AMAbdul
There is allot of discussion about support weapons spam especially maxim being op, unfair, annoying to play against, etc.

I agree that its very annoying and gives the spammer an unfair advantage. I think the solution to make support weapons less easy to spam is to reduce their sight slightly. For example, if sight for all infantry is 50, it should be made 40 for support weapons.

Therefore, if a good player carefully approaches a point he can see the maxim/mg42 before the support weapon sees him and stop or take a different rout. I think this rewards good play and reduces the incentive to spam support weapons and send them off on their own to dominate the whole map.

Yep +1
27 May 2014, 05:29 AM

And you Abdul being an asshole doing it in every game, how lovely.

Sight decrease is nice, because support weapon are support weapon.
How funny that Maxim was like the heaviest MG to carry but has the ultra mobility :lol:
27 May 2014, 05:32 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 May 2014, 05:12 AMAbdul

vet 1 for maxim and mg42 used to give a sight radius increase? When was it changed?

Sorry I mean the old sight radius if the range was reduced. As in, its 35 now, so if it was nerfed to 30, it should go back up to 35 at vet 1.
27 May 2014, 08:07 AM

I might be wrong but I think I noticed they get sight increase in buildings which makes it really hard to snipe them. Even if you put a spotter up there to draw fire, the sniper can be suppressed even at its max shooting range. Maybe I'm microing wrong (I normally attack move the building just so the firing arc of the sniper touches the edge of the building). I noticed this especially on crossing in the woods on the west building near the fuel a few times. I thought, perhaps wrongly, that snipers are counters to garrison units.
27 May 2014, 08:20 AM

SNipers only have 40%? hitchance against buildings, and yeah I notice it too. Maybe the Sniper to building range is calculated from the middle of the building, but the MG range is calculated from the edge?
27 May 2014, 09:26 AM

maxim spam is really easy to deal with : 3/4 greens capping all map early, sniper, then rush Pz IV. Maxim spam works if you don't fuck it early
27 May 2014, 09:49 AM

I think maxim and mg42 are not that good atm, so a further nerf would make them even less attractive.
I agree spam is sometimes annoying, but there are decent counters to it.
27 May 2014, 10:20 AM

this whole game is based on spam, from start of the game: MG / Maxim spam, spam mortar, conscripts / grenadiers spam, PZ4 / Panther / Tiger / Elephant / Su-85 / T-34 / ISU-152 spam. / This fix or a new DLC (or add more spam), or a complete change of the game mechanics.
27 May 2014, 10:24 AM

Maxim not good at the moment? Instasupress, can pack up and deploy at the speed of light, does great damage, combine this with heavy T2 in 2v2 3v3 4v4 and you got impenetrable front almost. Thats why many soviets opening start with maxim, it can be used as a caping unit. Whenever I see a maxim decrewed, I take it inmediately if I can, or destroy it to not be used against me again...
27 May 2014, 10:29 AM

I think the mid to late game ZiS spam is far worse than early Maxim spam. Especially when its backed up with ISU.
27 May 2014, 10:37 AM

SNipers only have 40%? hitchance against buildings, and yeah I notice it too. Maybe the Sniper to building range is calculated from the middle of the building, but the MG range is calculated from the edge?

Good point this can be exactly what is happening.
27 May 2014, 10:40 AM

I think maxim and mg42 are not that good atm, so a further nerf would make them even less attractive.
I agree spam is sometimes annoying, but there are decent counters to it.

mg42 is a little weird and in fact "might" need a boost to its suppression, but the maxim is perfect and its fast to setup and reposition. Myabe the only thing it needs is for the crew to setup a little further apart when next to cover. This is of course to reduce all soldiers dying from 1 rifle grenade.
27 May 2014, 14:45 PM
Patrion 15

So tired of hearing about the support weapon issues. The strat is frustrating and annoying to play against, but there are plenty of viable counters. I don't want to see a nerf to their combat effectiveness, because that only means more reason to build only cons/grens. We've been there before, and its not good for gameplay.
27 May 2014, 15:10 PM

So tired of hearing about the support weapon issues. The strat is frustrating and annoying to play against, but there are plenty of viable counters. I don't want to see a nerf to their combat effectiveness, because that only means more reason to build only cons/grens. We've been there before, and its not good for gameplay.

A sight range reduction could be accompanied by a slight buff elsewhere (eg. long range accuracy) to encourage their use.

As for con spam, the main reason it works so well is because mgs don't counter them properly. A single mg should have a much easier time of stopping incoming conscripts with a larger aoe suppression.

I guess the takeaway here is mgs should not function too well on their own because that leads to spam, but they need to be more efficient when combined with other core units (grens/cons) than these core units on their own.
27 May 2014, 19:30 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Q: does A order changes the direction or target when already deploy?

I want to avoid those mistake you sometimes may do when you want to switch target and instead you move the MG :P
27 May 2014, 19:34 PM

Q: does A order changes the direction or target when already deploy?

I want to avoid those mistake you sometimes may do when you want to switch target and instead you move the MG :P

Only if target goes out of arc.
27 May 2014, 20:07 PM
Donator 11

Buildings height gives you additional sight range. The taller the building the further you can see
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

South Africa 1
Germany 735
Germany 4

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak