Login

russian armor

Did they remove the online counter?

27 May 2014, 10:58 AM

it is far far from dead.

Its the 30-40th most played game on steam. The players swing between 3000-5000.
I hardly call that dead. It is still the N.o 1 ww2 rts when it comes to players.

Also, WW2 + rts just doesn't amaze many people, unfortunately, in general WW2 games are way out of flavor these days.

Look at red orchestra 2, that not only had a free weekend, but was free if you picked it up during the weekend, if you got it , it was free FOREVER.

Yet still in 2 weeks of being completely free, it once again dropped to the 1000-2000 player range.

The reason why coh 2 is not popular is because 90% of vcoh players played nothing but 4v4 brit scheldt annihilation slugfests. COH 2 is not the game for this kind of crap. Hence the low playerbase.

The game could be completely pay 2 win, could have way more horribly unbalanced commanders than it has now, be 100% RNG, but if they added proper player lobbies, the playerbase would skyrocket.

Look at war thunder, horrible damage models, flight models to the point that a bomber can outmanuever a fighter, yet has way more players than COH 2,granted war thunder is completely free, but red orchestra 2 was also completely free to pick up recently.

27 May 2014, 11:19 AM

IMO I think they're ashamed how low their player base has dropped.

Definitely agree, all this whining, fanboys accusing fanboys of being fanboys, rage wars, ad hominem being best forum argument, back in the day we had discussion of "how to cunter X" now we have "when will relic nerf X so my spam can still wrok against everything"... oh... you've meant the actual player numbers :D
27 May 2014, 11:46 AM

Make sure you've clicked play online so the client logs into relic servers, otherwise the counter won't show.
27 May 2014, 11:47 AM

I'd say a dead game is a game with a declining fanbase, no real growth in sales or large opening sales #s, no main esports coverage, and a chat room filled with 0 people.

Takes me 5 minutes or longer to find games most of the time. All my buddies are slowly moving away from the game, the big twitch broadcasters are all but gone (maybe I can start casting now yay!), the #s watching SNL are on the decline, if there is more I missed it.

I'm not saying I dislike the game, I like it the way EUPOLEMOS described it, a casual fun game not to be taken to seriously. I stopped taking it seriously and have come back to it and its a bit more fun. I really wanted to try and get better so I could compete in an esport for the first time but that's not happening with this game apparently. I'll most likely buy the expansion since its pretty cheap, or I may wait till its on sale, Coh2 was on sale only a few months after INITIAL release, so I wont have to wait to long.

I'd say a dead game is when there is not one single person playing it.
27 May 2014, 12:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 May 2014, 10:58 AMBurts
it is far far from dead.

Its the 30-40th most played game on steam. The players swing between 3000-5000.
I hardly call that dead. It is still the N.o 1 ww2 rts when it comes to players.

Also, WW2 + rts just doesn't amaze many people, unfortunately, in general WW2 games are way out of flavor these days.

Look at red orchestra 2, that not only had a free weekend, but was free if you picked it up during the weekend, if you got it , it was free FOREVER.

Yet still in 2 weeks of being completely free, it once again dropped to the 1000-2000 player range.

The reason why coh 2 is not popular is because 90% of vcoh players played nothing but 4v4 brit scheldt annihilation slugfests. COH 2 is not the game for this kind of crap. Hence the low playerbase.

The game could be completely pay 2 win, could have way more horribly unbalanced commanders than it has now, be 100% RNG, but if they added proper player lobbies, the playerbase would skyrocket.

Look at war thunder, horrible damage models, flight models to the point that a bomber can outmanuever a fighter, yet has way more players than COH 2,granted war thunder is completely free, but red orchestra 2 was also completely free to pick up recently.

Than how about MOW2: Assualt squad? Compared a traditional RTS with a F2P game (War Thunder) is not really fitting?
27 May 2014, 12:06 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 May 2014, 11:47 AMwuff

I second this. Look at natural selection 2, it averages 200-500 players daily, yet at all times of the day I can jump in and play on a 20/20 server and experience the game how it was meant to be played. CoH2 averages at least 3-10 times that number. Its far from dead. Just because a competitive scene of a game isn't bustling, doesn't mean its dead. Players need to drop the "EVERYTHING MUST BE ESPORTS" mentality.

As far as the competitive scene goes, compete if you enjoy the game and are willing to put in that time. If you want to compete for the sake of esports/winning or to make a career out of, there are far more established games than CoH2 that will fill this desire. LoL, Dota2, CS:GO, SC2, Smite, SFIV etc.
27 May 2014, 12:11 PM

Than how about MOW2: Assualt squad? Compared a traditional RTS with a F2P game (War Thunder) is not really fitting?

MOW2 didn't even made it to top 100, which judging by current last place means that MOW2 have LESS players then 750 daily(which isn't surprising, because its not a good RTS, but annoying trench warfare simulator with some vehicles), meanwhile CoH2 averages 2200.

Why we have such a poor multiplayer then you ask?
Because 80% of them play comp stomps and the 80% of remaining 20% play germans making for extremely unequal battles where you are much more likely to face good soviet player then good german player.
27 May 2014, 12:15 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 May 2014, 11:46 AMwuff
Make sure you've clicked play online so the client logs into relic servers, otherwise the counter won't show.

Unfortunately nothing works.
The counter is hidden all the time and at every menu since the day I started this thread.
27 May 2014, 12:52 PM
Senior Editor Badge

this game is far from the dead.

CoH1 and DoW2 are dead games, not CoH2.
27 May 2014, 13:38 PM

I remember vCOH averaged around 3-4k people when there was only 2 factions, after OF numbers soared to 7-8k at peaks, hope the same happens to COH 2 when Western Armies goes live.
27 May 2014, 15:08 PM
Patrion 14

Reminds me when Relic hid the number of players searching for a game by displaying a percentage value instant. Just looks better i guess.

jump backJump back to quoted post27 May 2014, 12:52 PMnigo
this game is far from the dead.

CoH1 and DoW2 are dead games, not CoH2.

Avg. Players, March 2014

CoH1

CoH2

CoH2 Lost 29.73% of it's players during February, 19.24% in march. The game is made some good progress in matters of balance. Western Armies will bring back some guy´s and attract some new players. And many of them will play some time and move on soon after because Western Armies will screw up the balance. As OF did in vCoH.Calculating with about 3000 - 4000 players average in long terms sounds realistic to me.

CoH2 is not dead but i don´t think there is much potential for the future if we talk about player numbers.
27 May 2014, 15:59 PM

The game is far from being dead. In facts its popularity is rising.
27 May 2014, 16:51 PM

I recommend not using steamstats for player numbers, it doesn't give an accurate picture.
27 May 2014, 17:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 May 2014, 11:47 AMwuff

i'd say then it's a buried game
27 May 2014, 17:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 May 2014, 17:04 PMcrash

i'd say then it's buried game

Maybe it is sick? But with a team of "experts" it could be brought back from the brink? :snfPeter:
27 May 2014, 17:25 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post27 May 2014, 16:51 PMwuff
I recommend not using steamstats for player numbers, it doesn't give an accurate picture.

Feel free to share the accurate numbers then.

Besides that, i really don´t think we talk about thousands of missing players here. It's not about exact numbers, its about the trend and the general direction and in this regard those numbers should be correct.

Again, i don´t think the game is dead but i also don´t think there is much of a future in matters of growing player numbers for various reasons.
27 May 2014, 17:34 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 May 2014, 17:25 PMFanatic

Feel free to share the accurate numbers then.

I am afraid I cannot, only Relic and Valve have the answer, or maybe smarties. Though if I was to have a guess I would say roughly 8k give or take.
raw
27 May 2014, 18:25 PM

it's rather pointless to remove the counter as you can just look at the steam numbers, what with the game being a steam exclusive title.
27 May 2014, 18:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 May 2014, 17:34 PMwuff

I am afraid I cannot, only Relic and Valve have the answer, or maybe smarties. Though if I was to have a guess I would say roughly 8k give or take.

Only off by a factor of 2.

http://steamcharts.com/app/231430#3m
27 May 2014, 18:30 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 May 2014, 18:25 PMraw
it's rather pointless to remove the counter as you can just look at the steam numbers, what with the game being a steam exclusive title.

Much of the "nannying" we've seen in COH2 has been pointless.

Removal of rank numeric level.

Followed by removal of stars even.

Removal of player numbers (on several occasions).

I feel this whole move to nanny the community in hopes that the "casuals" will play - and continue to play - has been a detrimental flaw in the game.

They catered to a broader base - the problem is by doing so they watered down elements the dedicated base was accustomed to from day one of COH.

The real problem was the lack of the public game lobbies - removed essentially to make it possible that new and/or bad players would "get a game" rather than being kicked or be unable to find partners to play with.

The problem - the general gaming community don't like games that make you think anymore - and they didn't come to the COH2 party - and then that just left a game that was not geared to those who WOULD play it, meaning you made nobody happy.

Hence the free weekends - the bargain bin prices etc.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

South Africa 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight