Login

russian armor

Bobby "Lynx" Miller employed at Sega

PAGES (11)down
22 Feb 2013, 14:10 PM

I have to agree with Onkelsam that Lynx did influence the number of viewers to a degree, but once again, without proper data analysis, one cannot claim the type of correlation RagingJenni and others uphold, solely based on rough estimates provided by viewers.

In many fields, including sociology, the 1%, 5% and 10% significance levels are all common. If one would regress child deaths caused by hunger in Africa to Lynx's social media announcements, the correlation would be higher than the one you claim now. Ofcourse, this wouldnt be a proper variable, but it shows a different relation between cause and effect.

Luckily though, the number of reasons RagingJenni can think off is not an accepted standard for anything.
22 Feb 2013, 14:57 PM

Add to the reasons then. Tell my why the viewers spiked.

And I don't mean increased, I mean spikes. As in suddenly, 200 people started watching. The twitch main page attracted a lot of viewers (could be seen from the "wtf is this game?" comments in the chat :p ) but that does not account for spikes.
22 Feb 2013, 15:10 PM

Like I stated before, the observed volatility of the viewers is not that uncommon for SNF.

I have mentioned a few possible causes already, but I havent put much thought in it yet, nor will, as its not relevant for the point I have made.

The twitch main page stream is sometimes shown on the right side as well. Everytime a major stream (compared to SNF, which are numerous) ends, this can account for the spikes. If you scroll back, you will notice I already mentioned the ending of other streams as another possible cause.
22 Feb 2013, 16:07 PM

When Lynx started posting SNF on social media the average viewers went from around 900 to 1400-1500ish. The twitch front page is what gave the 2000+ viewers.
ntd
22 Feb 2013, 16:30 PM
Admin Black Badge

How about we stop encouraging the trolls by responding to them?
22 Feb 2013, 18:53 PM

What does that even mean. People having a civil argument is considered "trolling"? Either that, or you are trying to stick up for your friend Lynx in yet another embarrassing fashion, like the last time when you called me "a fucking idiot" and your post got removed.

Just because this is on the internet and you dont agree and/or lack the apetite for a debate does not make any of this "trolling".
22 Feb 2013, 18:56 PM

I don't see you as the "bad guy", it's just that you're criticizing someone who's well-respected on these forums without solid justification. Who cares how many people really joined SNF because of Lynx's FB post? What matters is the thought: he cared about the community and did his job out of passion and adoration. He was online on a daily basis (even during the weekends) and would answer everyone's concerns. I, for one, am not a too active community member, and yet he answered the two PMs I sent him almost instantly and with great sincerity. I realize that many of us might feel betrayed because the information that he provided us with turned out to be misleading and incorrect. However, you have to put yourself in THQ's and Relic's position to understand that even if their assertions regarding the Chapter 11 scenario weren't 100%, they felt confident enough to portray them so.

I made it very clear I am an active participant of the community, and as such, I was and still am on the GR fora as well. Next to that, the number of forum posts should not be a benchmark for a forum comment. To me, the "Lynx-for-community-manager" campaign seemed a nice initiative of his community friends, but hardly well deserved or a good representation of the combined feelings of the community. Given the overall agreement by the previous posters (mainly known CoH1 players and/or community friends of Lynx), I simply wanted to express the view of other, less vocal, players.

As noble as the deed may be, how can you express the view of less vocal players? Isn't that statement in itself quite oxymoronic? In all honestly, it seems that your truest concern with Lynx was his inability to completely eradicate map-hacking. Well, do you realize that map-hackers aren't banned by accusation alone? Someone in the fairplay forums has to watch the replay and observe obvious signs of map-hacking, which, needless to say, is actually very time consuming and difficult. So unfortunately map-hacking will be an issue for the remainder of coh1's life... Moreover, there's the issue that many players would rather label their opponent a cheat than admit defeat.
Lynx knew very well that map-hacking was a big issue, but realized that his energy and time would be better spent on COH2, which is/was nearing its release. And in that, he did a mighty fine job. Watch/read some of the Eurogamer footage, and you'll see how approachable and friendly the guy is. Like most on these forums, I'm of the sentiment that he's earned his state. You're entitled to your opinion, but make sure that you support it with proper, clear-cut evidence before you voice it, especially if it's so controversial.
ntd
22 Feb 2013, 19:21 PM
Admin Black Badge

What does that even mean. People having a civil argument is considered "trolling"? Either that, or you are trying to stick up for your friend Lynx in yet another embarrassing fashion, like the last time when you called me "a fucking idiot" and your post got removed.

Just because this is on the internet and you dont agree and/or lack the apetite for a debate does not make any of this "trolling".

You have no idea what Lynx did behind the scenes to help this site and both coh1 and coh2. You are speaking from total ignorance and are creating some absurd "debate" about whether Lynx was a good CM with the people who have actually worked with all the CMs since Buggo (the staff/owners of this site) and the start of COH. He is an excellent CM, he was more approachable than any other CM we've ever had. He's available on weekends, he posts SNF updates on Sundays, he's taken and organized way more feedback on coh2 from the right people than you will ever know about, and he really cares about the game, his job, and the community. How you could even pretend to have a clue if he's good or not is beyond me, you don't interact with him, you don't know him, and you don't even know about 90% of what he's done. So yeah, I stand by my characterization of you.
22 Feb 2013, 19:50 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Feb 2013, 19:21 PMntd

You have no idea what Lynx did behind the scenes to help this site and both coh1 and coh2. You are speaking from total ignorance and are creating some absurd "debate" about whether Lynx was a good CM with the people who have actually worked with all the CMs since Buggo (the staff/owners of this site) and the start of COH. He is an excellent CM, he was more approachable than any other CM we've ever had. He's available on weekends, he posts SNF updates on Sundays, he's taken and organized way more feedback on coh2 from the right people than you will ever know about, and he really cares about the game, his job, and the community

I am Major Bloodnok and I approve this post. :)(Even though ntd can sometimes lose it on multiplayer - but it does not make him a bad person)
22 Feb 2013, 20:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Feb 2013, 19:21 PMntd

You have no idea what Lynx did behind the scenes to help this site and both coh1 and coh2. You are speaking from total ignorance and are creating some absurd "debate" about whether Lynx was a good CM with the people who have actually worked with all the CMs since Buggo (the staff/owners of this site) and the start of COH. He is an excellent CM, he was more approachable than any other CM we've ever had. He's available on weekends, he posts SNF updates on Sundays, he's taken and organized way more feedback on coh2 from the right people than you will ever know about, and he really cares about the game, his job, and the community. How you could even pretend to have a clue if he's good or not is beyond me, you don't interact with him, you don't know him, and you don't even know about 90% of what he's done. So yeah, I stand by my characterization of you.

The comparison with other community managers isnt necessarily correct, as they werent very good either. Approachable, available on weekends, (posting SNF updates on Sundays) and organizing feedback(!) are not considered exceptional acts, but a given for a community manager. Interestingly, people judge the outcome of your measurements, not the measurements themselfs.

I dont need to personally know him to judge his performance for the given audience (the community, us, me). If 90% of his activities is virtually hidden from the community, its fair to say hes in the wrong job. Im sure he is a very nice guy to talk to, loves the same hamburgers as you, has a cute dog and cares about the game, but the results of his "labor" were very poor.

Now, its very clear that you know him very well, due to his involvement in SNF and this very website, but it clouds your judgement. At the same time, he shines in absence, thereby clearly failing to live up to your own measurements.

As noble as the deed may be, how can you express the view of less vocal players? Isn't that statement in itself quite oxymoronic? In all honestly, it seems that your truest concern with Lynx was his inability to completely eradicate map-hacking.

Less vocal does not mean they are without voice. It is time you stop making assumptions about my concerns, my knowledge about CoH1 and my activity within the community, but read about them instead. For me it is time to end this, before this (unwanted) debate gets out of control, as I seem to be steppping on to many toes here.

I sincerely congratiolate you all with obtaining a friend as the new CoH2 community manager!
22 Feb 2013, 23:27 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

lynx did the fb posts, that brought in alot of people to snf, he helped in other areas too. And he will help with coh2. if your not aware he helped then shame on you.
23 Feb 2013, 06:58 AM

The comparison with other community managers isnt necessarily correct, as they werent very good either. Approachable, available on weekends, (posting SNF updates on Sundays) and organizing feedback(!) are not considered exceptional acts, but a given for a community manager. Interestingly, people judge the outcome of your measurements, not the measurements themselfs.

I dont need to personally know him to judge his performance for the given audience (the community, us, me). If 90% of his activities is virtually hidden from the community, its fair to say hes in the wrong job. Im sure he is a very nice guy to talk to, loves the same hamburgers as you, has a cute dog and cares about the game, but the results of his "labor" were very poor.

Now, its very clear that you know him very well, due to his involvement in SNF and this very website, but it clouds your judgement. At the same time, he shines in absence, thereby clearly failing to live up to your own measurements.

Less vocal does not mean they are without voice. It is time you stop making assumptions about my concerns, my knowledge about CoH1 and my activity within the community, but read about them instead. For me it is time to end this, before this (unwanted) debate gets out of control, as I seem to be steppping on to many toes here.

I sincerely congratiolate you all with obtaining a friend as the new CoH2 community manager!

I have no involvement in Friday Night Fights, recent tournaments, podcasts, or anything else, so how about I chime in. First, I'll disclose that I was the founding admin of the GameReplays.org CoH portal, even if I only stuck around for a few months after it was launched. Since then (i.e. post GR) I've continued to maintain relationships with literally every CM that Relic has ever had, so I can say that I've known them all pretty well. I've also built and maintained equally strong relationships with CMs at most other publishers and studios, so I've got a lot of reference points to use for comparisons.

In my opinion each of Relic's CMs were top notch, but here's the thing about Lynx... he maintained the quality of the other Relic CMs, but on top of that he also brought other strong qualities to the table:

1. He's at the top of his game when it comes to supporting modern social media (i.e. Twitch, Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, etc.) These are things that neither Buggo or Thunder had to deal with extensively.

2. He's never been afraid to stick his neck out, and interact with the community as if he's just one of the guys. Both Buggo and Thunder were much more reserved when it came to communicating with anyone but fansite staff, game journos, community leaders, etc. Lynx seemed to prefer to be out there in the trenches with you guys, which I personally feel is a great trait.

3. He made himself available to those that help manage sub communities (i.e. sites like this, and others that CMs typically interact with) pretty much 24/7. There are some CMs that only like to work business hours, trust me when I say that, I've known plenty.

4. He's a genuine fan of the game, as in someone that actually loves to play CoH, and games in general. I couldn't say that with confidence about Buggo, not that it made her a bad CM, but she certainly wasn't a master of RTS.

Not to name names, but there are some CMs in the game industry that couldn't hold a candle to any of the CMs that Relic has had over the past 6 or so years. From Allie, to Graham, to Bobby, both Relic and the Relic community has been extremely lucky. The fact that you want to tear Lynx apart makes no sense to me, he did a fantastic job. Part of me thinks that there's something deeper in you that's clouding your judgement, as if you're projecting anger, jealousy, or whatever else. There's nothing that I can see that's logical when it comes to your complaint(s) and/or criticism of him.
23 Feb 2013, 07:04 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

23 Feb 2013, 13:03 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Patrion 39

Part of me thinks that there's something deeper in you that's clouding your judgement, as if you're projecting anger, jealousy, or whatever else. There's nothing that I can see that's logical when it comes to your complaint(s) and/or criticism of him.

Exactly what I've been thinking since the beginning.
23 Feb 2013, 14:41 PM

I have to agree with Onkelsam that Lynx did influence the number of viewers to a degree, but once again, without proper data analysis, one cannot claim the type of correlation RagingJenni and others uphold, solely based on rough estimates provided by viewers.

Lol u gotta be kidding me. Well then why don't you stfu and go carry out your proper data analysis to prove w/e it is you are trying prove (which is insanely hard to understand through your vague and meaningless walls of text).

Srsly, am I the only one who thinks this guy is an idiot after having read all his bs? ^^
23 Feb 2013, 15:00 PM

I ...and/or criticism of him.

Apoc Kaufman > THQLynx in every way.

and the biggest proof of that is he got outta town long before losing his job
unlike the unemployed guy who is in the title of this thread.
23 Feb 2013, 15:40 PM

Tychus, you remind me of a tipical hearthless, only money and profitmargin looking CEO-Banker stereotype which most people in this day and time are getting fed up with, and is quicky becoming the most hated type of person in total. I hope it helps you understand why you aren't exactly loved on these forums
23 Feb 2013, 15:46 PM
Coder Red Badge

TychusFindlay, i think most us got your point about 5 repetitions ago. Most of your posts are with the same negative undertone towards Relic and/or THQ. I think its time for you to start being active in other topics - move along ffs.
23 Feb 2013, 15:53 PM

TYCHUSFINDLAY/JIMRAYNOR

Two people above me were being polite. THQ have gone, which was your aim in the first place, now your obviously just trying to piss everyone else off by going against whatever people say and being rude to polite, pleasant, hard working people. Your obviously a troll. People really do not like you and im going to spell out what you should do.

GO
AWAY

Close the door aswell.

If not, can Ami please ban this guy like he threatened to before if he did not stop being rude to THQ/RELIC employees. He is obviously still being very rude. I believed he made fun of THQLYNX for being unemployed asking if "His unemployment benefits have kicked in yet" or something of the sort.

I hope Tychus ends up unemployed one day so he knows how it feels.

TYCHUS CLASSICS (In this thread alone)

Assessing THQLynx performance as a CM in a vacuum is meaningless.
Relative to other CM's such as APOC i'd say THQLynx was average.

Apoc Kaufman > THQLynx in every way.

by saying Aaron Kaufman was a better CM than THQLynx

THQLynx was "ok", but his parroting of the company line became laughable

just keeping it real.

u guys are good for a laugh though

so, Relic engages in the deceptive business practice of advertising for positions that do not exist.

time to call Industry Canada and the BC Ministry of Labour and get them on the case!

nice company this Relic.
:)

i hope he got unemployment insurance during his "unscheduled vacation" because THQ damn sure wasn't paying severance.

the best appraoch from him would be the move Sega and Relic are making right now.
Dead Silence.
This hinting stuff is unprofessional and silly.
23 Feb 2013, 15:59 PM
Benefactor 115

He'll never be unemployed he has a bachelors, a $1000 starcraft collection and he still watches wrestling.
PAGES (11)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS