Login

russian armor

Poll: Why don't you participate in tournaments?

Why don't you participate in tournaments?
Option Distribution Votes
8%
31%
20%
10%
31%
Total votes: 98
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
3 May 2014, 23:35 PM

Hoi everyone:wave:,

FIRST: I know this question is posed before, but I'd like to have some new and more answers.

I'd like to know why guys don't participate in tournaments.
The ESL tournament didn't get 16 teams today, and I'd like to know why.

We are doing our best to make this scene grow and thus making the competitive scene grow.
Thanks in advance for taking the time to write something about why you don't participate.

Thanks again :wave:

3 May 2014, 23:40 PM

Need to abstain, because i love to participate!
3 May 2014, 23:42 PM

Mainly because I didn't have a computer for a while and a missed most of the tournaments, that and I think my micro can be a bit better.
3 May 2014, 23:43 PM

Mainly because I didn't have a computer for a while and a missed most of the tournaments, that and I think my micro can be a bit better.

Didn't have a computer :D :D
That's indeed hard to play tourneys man..

I feel you
3 May 2014, 23:46 PM

I might be good at this game, but I'll never be as good as the top guys. It's usually the same couple of guys in the final every time.
3 May 2014, 23:46 PM

I'd play mainly 1v1, not too many tourneys recently for that format. In fairness though, last patch did not warrant a tournament for 1's! ;)

Played in a few of the earlier tournaments, mostly good experiences (except that one time I played OMGPop in SN whilst also having a bad stomach flu. Rough times :))

3 May 2014, 23:52 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 May 2014, 23:46 PMBryan
I'd play mainly 1v1, not too many tourneys recently for that format. In fairness though, last patch did not warrant a tournament for 1's! ;)

We are doing our best to get more tourneys running mate :)
And facing OMGPOP with a bad stomach doesn't seem to be a good combo :loco:

4 May 2014, 00:06 AM

I'd have to say the level is too high. I'm not super bad at this game but there are some players who just defeat me over and over.
4 May 2014, 00:48 AM

What about timezone differences? Being here in Australia makes it very difficult to participate in anything.
m00
4 May 2014, 01:19 AM
Donator 11

Aerohank quiet you'd give everyone a good fight lol. I really don't have a good reason, i'll try to get more involved with tournaments since they are having trouble taking off.
4 May 2014, 01:28 AM
Donator 33

It's the level man. I'm experienced enough to observe and understand the mistakes of good players, but in practice I will lose consistently to mediocre players using mediocre strategies.

Overcoming that is the first step; second is to find a regular partner in the same time zone with matching dedication/availability/skill.
4 May 2014, 01:51 AM

Other:

1) Time Zone,

2) Lack of advertising, many tournaments don't get properly promoted. I had no idea that their was a sign up today.

3) Complicated sign up and coordination processes. A lot of tournaments require you to sign up with another site, track down a section of that site, register with a tournament on that section, find the contact details of the player/team you are to be facing, add them, organise a time to play across timezones, etc. Even same day tournaments can often rely on the players doing a lot of the work to figure out who they are playing and how to get in touch with them. This is doubly as hard with opponents who are "less skilled" at being communicative and making contact.
4 May 2014, 03:22 AM

Last patch was too imbalanced to want to play in a tourney.

Not sufficient time was given for signups for this last 2v2 tourney.

Games where skill levels are equal are too often decided by RNG or one key squad/tank wipe that cripples the enemy. Contrast any high level 2v2 in this game to vCOH and you will see that there is too much dependence on lynchpin units (Tiger, ISU, Elefant). With RNG being even stronger than in vCOH, those unit losses can go either way too easily and decide games. When was the last time you won a 2v2 in vCOH by destroying one Tiger?

In other words, who can take this all that seriously...

4 May 2014, 03:40 AM

IDD that squad wipes from tanks need to go, however... 2v2 in vCoH frequently revolved around whether you killed the mortar pit or not. In 1v1, going fast m8 and losing it meant you probably lost the game. Losing one squad early in vCoH was actually worse than it is in CoH2, at least judging from all the replays on this site where people lose multiple cons or grens in the first 5 minute and still win. If you lost two rifles or two volks in vCoH it was pretty rare to win.

Considering the importance of snipers in the meta, and the fact that countersniping was a coin flip, I don't know how you can say RNG is stronger in CoH2. Plus on-map arty was built every 2v2 in vCoH, and you had to rely on RNG for it to hit things.

I do try to play in tourneys, but I frequently have things I want to do outside the house on the weekends. I'd play in more tourneys if they were at 7pm on weekday nights, but I know that's impossible considering how many european/asian players there are.
4 May 2014, 04:00 AM

are there any upcoming 1v1 tourneys?
4 May 2014, 04:28 AM
Patrion 15

Mostly because I know my skill level isn't good enough to give it a good shot, and I don't have a steady 2v2 partner. I might consider participating in a 1v1 tourney I had enough time to train and really play on a consistent basis, but at the moment I only have time for a few games a day.
4 May 2014, 06:30 AM

I don't enter tourneys because I'm not very good. I get stomped in random automatches more than enough for my tastes.

When you and your partner are working 9-5 and have other hobbies too it's kind of hard to get great at the game.
4 May 2014, 07:14 AM

4 May 2014, 07:37 AM

The monetary incentive usually isn't high enough to spend most the weekend inside on the computer. I could just work those days instead and make a similar amount of money, and I'm guaranteed that just for showing up.
4 May 2014, 08:13 AM
Donator 33

I think there should be more 1v1s. From what I can see the last few tournaments have been exclusively 2v2s. They take more time to coordinate, not only for the ones running the tournament, but also for oneself and partner.

Make the sign-ups and rest of the tournament simple, so not to scare of potential players. Also advertise here on CoH2.org, and possibly every other relevant place. Could it be possible to use top-ranking streamers to advertise on their channel?

I think the most important thing to keep tournaments alive, is to make them a natural extension of the game and the community.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★