Login

russian armor

Cover seeking aka repeating DoW2 all over again

1 May 2014, 17:47 PM

Makes me wonder why no one really posted that up until now, so here it is.

Cover seeking. The little culprit that wants to help you by bringing you a hot coffee cup, but all it does is tripping over its own legs and spilling all the hot black ambrosia on you, making you cry and want to kill it.

How many times have you had the situation, where you place your infantry in that crater or behind that wall, or by that tree only to see half of the squad say "fuck you, I know better you idiot commander" and rush happily into the open to catch all the butterflies erm... bullets.

How many times were your troops standing perfectly well behind a cover and unloading at HMG when LMG gren or guard decides to jump away and lie on the ground, because he likes grass/dirt/snow much more then stone wall.

Its pretty ok if you just place them, but (rng)god forbid you order them to attack specific target, hell breaks loose and battle hardened veterans instantly turn into 4-6 man flying circus going all over the place despite the target being not even at max range.

So, the thing I'd like to see is exactly the same thing that eventually got into DoW2, reduced cover seeking.
If I place my infantry somewhere, I WANT them to be there, not dance around pretending to be monkeys.

I can understand and support why they scatter when they got hit by grenade, mortar, molotov or suppression, but (rng)GOD I'm going mad when my squads do everything and anything to not stay where I want them and if that wasn't enough, they absolutely LOVE to do squats and pushaps in 10 different places before they finally find their confy spot in red cover.

So, Reric, can I haz decreased auto cover seeking because it does more harm to gameplay then it does to enhance immersion?
1 May 2014, 17:59 PM

Actually I believe this was in coh1 as well.
1 May 2014, 18:02 PM
1 May 2014, 18:06 PM

Actually I believe this was in coh1 as well.

Can't remember over the memory of ever present infantry blobs.
2 May 2014, 00:24 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

One of the reason stalling an MG with green cover can be a pain in the ass. Theres always that little guy who wants to be a "hero" and gets supressed.
2 May 2014, 02:16 AM

It is Company of "Heroes", what kind of "Hero" hiding in cover like a coward? :P

Scheiße Helmut, go bath in molotov fire and earn your Iron Cross B-)
2 May 2014, 03:47 AM

Agreed. It only really occurs with units that have a lot of squad members such as cons, ostruppen, agrens, penals and guards. It's just poor AI. Whenever I use Grens, pios, CE, or pgrens, I never really have this issue.
2 May 2014, 04:23 AM

I would rather see them improved than removed. You are asking Relic to turn infantry into a droids.

Theres always ways to improve them.

IE:
-If heavy cover nearby, automaticly use them.
- Dont walk into a recently toss molotov, or dont even take cover behind a burning cover.
2 May 2014, 04:36 AM

It is Company of "Heroes", what kind of "Hero" hiding in cover like a coward? :P

Scheiße Helmut, go bath in molotov fire and earn your Iron Cross B-)

LOL! Those stupid grens jumping into flames to get into cover...
2 May 2014, 10:00 AM

yes i know this problems with infantry

movement and cover:
I have this problem mainly with german infantry (russian ones can be used more aggressive so i dont see it often and there cover doesnt get denied bei moltovs so they cant run into fire), doesnt matter if they are in cover or not sometimes the grens seem to think: "Soldaten mount the Bayonett and Charge" then they begin to close distance with enemy units,

so in my opinion they should deactivate most of the Infantry AI to make their handling better, they also did so in DoW 2 if i remember right cause the ai was sometimes very stupid, after they deactivated it and you ordered your marines to a postion they stayed there they did not move an mm away from their postion and they did what you wanted them to do instead of jumping around

the AI also seems to interfere with easy unit handling most time i order my units to evade instant hit things like molotov one gets hit because heinz needs to bind his shoes (but that may also be command delay as it doesnt happen that often in AI games)

Light Machineguns:

sometimes the gunner of them seems to be an idiot once i had conscipt squads charging my grens frontally the guy with the lmg did rather like to stand up and get on the ground again and get up again etc. but not pulling the trigger of the LMG end of it was well the grens lost that fight,this is one of the moments where i begin to think why did i get that lmg again,

have the feeling it has to do with the guys with the lmgs always wanting to go on the ground maybe they should make it like in CoH1 they fire the lmgs standing

also remebers me why i loved to play IG "Guardsman you failed the Emperor *BLAM* rest of the squad was then super motivated to fight XD"
2 May 2014, 10:09 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 May 2014, 04:23 AMy3ivan
I would rather see them improved than removed. You are asking Relic to turn infantry into a droids.

There are boarders of immersion that affect gameplay too much.
What use do I have from conscript sandbags, when one of them decides to jump out from one side and other goes to take a piss in the bush on the left side, resulting in suppression in green cover because my troops don't want to be in a safe spot.

Theres always ways to improve them.

IE:
-If heavy cover nearby, automaticly use them.
- Dont walk into a recently toss molotov, or dont even take cover behind a burning cover.

Been there, done that with DoW2.
It didn't worked until it was completely removed, only then infantry started to sit in the cover you want them to be, not where they want to sit.

As I've said, they can go wherever they want after nades or suppression, but if I put them in certain spot I want them in certain spot, I don't want to watch while they dance for 10 seconds out of cover because god damn gren/con got spasms.

And if you'd actually read what I've said, you'd noticed that I'm not talking about molotovs/nades/suppression, but about normal small arms combat and ordering to attack a squad that is in range.
2 May 2014, 11:19 AM

Cover seeking sucks.
I played some games on the vcoh Elit mod which kills the cover seeking and it feels so good.

The problem is not only cover seeking but unit wandering too.. I hate it when some guys in your squad just wait an extra second before moving, or stop at this particular bush or tree to see what's up.

Relic loves it.
2 May 2014, 13:32 PM

Can't remember over the memory of ever present infantry blobs.

Yes, it was like this in CoH1. The dickheads would run out of cover at the most inopportune moments instead of firing at the enemies coming straight at them. One guy would take cover in front of where you wanted him to instead of behind and get mowed down quicksmart. A tiny explosion would go off and everybody would scramble around.
2 May 2014, 14:19 PM

I'd just as soon remove automatic cover seeking from the game - it does way more harm than good. So many times have I put an infantry squad behind green cover wall and one dude runs out and gets the whole squad suppressed. Or even worse you're in the middle of an intense flanking maneuver and Ivan decides to take a knee and scan over a brick wall, the delay of 0.2 seconds allowed the MG 42 you were flanking to finish re-facing and suppress your squad.

I think cover-seeking was designed to be noob friendly. Screw that, noobs are going to lose anyways and it only burdens good players.

2 May 2014, 18:47 PM

Cover seeking is more of a nuisance then a help.
2 May 2014, 20:32 PM

Makes me wonder why no one really posted that up until now, so here it is.

I've been complaining about this since Closed Beta.

Just FTR.
2 May 2014, 20:38 PM

I've been complaining about this since Closed Beta.

Just FTR.

Not visibly enough apparently and as we can see, its quite a problem, especially in competitive games.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 37
Russian Federation 25
United States 16
unknown 5
unknown 5

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L