Login

russian armor

CoH2 Western Front skins plea

15 Apr 2014, 08:44 AM
Patrion 14

Hello.

This is a shout-out to Relic about skins for Western Front armies.

With the Germans you can of course knock yourself out. The Wehrmacht and SS had a flying-circus style of camouflage diversity.

But the Americans...

Their vehicle camo was very limited and usually locally produced. For example...

Sand-and-green. However, local units did like to McGuyver stuff onto their vehicles, such as improvised sandbag armour...

Can we see skins for US vehicles that changes unit insignia, battle damage, wear-and-tear and so on? I just think a load of made-up camo would be lame, when you could in fact concentrate of *infantry* skins that many of us have asked for.

Thanks

BFW
15 Apr 2014, 11:39 AM

There is a load of made up camo already for both sides... It's too late now... :(
15 Apr 2014, 12:03 PM

There is a load of made up camo already for both sides... It's too late now... :(

Which ones?
15 Apr 2014, 12:19 PM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

The german camo couldn't be more inaccurate
15 Apr 2014, 12:20 PM

All Soviet skins for one thing, I've read veteran accounts who said that in all their years of service they never saw any camouflaged Soviet tanks, the only exception are the flat white whitewash, which to my memory isn't in the game. Some camouflage schemes have appeared in books etc, but I've yet to see any photos of genuine examples...

As for German skins that's a bit more funny,there are some which are genuine, but most I'm still waiting for pictorial evidence... but who'd go to war in that candy coloured vanilla and pink camouflage? Factory finish or something... the idea is good enough but the deep red/pink was on the interiors whilst the white we see was on the outside, effectively similar to the colour we have for uncamouflaged German tanks anyway.
15 Apr 2014, 12:22 PM

http://store.steampowered.com/app/231453/

This is the only one I feel is properly genuine... but I'm no expert so there might be more... but considering most of them, I doubt it.
15 Apr 2014, 12:25 PM

Okay, I've found definitive proof that Relic are clueless about their skins.

"The German Eighth Army painted whitewash over the green camouflage of its vehicles as the battle for Stalingrad carried on into winter."

This in the description of the German Stalingrad winter scheme...

Edit: though by the standards of the current skins in the game the skin isn't so bad...
15 Apr 2014, 12:47 PM

http://store.steampowered.com/app/231453/

This is the only one I feel is properly genuine... but I'm no expert so there might be more... but considering most of them, I doubt it.

Which one is that? Steam won't let me view that page in my browser and the DLC is unlisted on Steam so I can't view it in the client.

Also, the Late War Factory Pattern seems to be based off these two Jagdpanthers:

Top one for the pattern, bottom one for frequency of the stripes.
15 Apr 2014, 13:57 PM

Okay, I stand corrected then. I can only see the top one I'm afraid.

To be honest though I'd still like some evidence that that hasn't been applied later on following some strange idea by a museum curator or something, I remember hearing something along those lines where the colours would be applied on bogus grounds or something, though perhaps it wasn't a tank.

I wish Relic had stuck to the top photo's shapes and lines. They're so much more tasteful than the one we have in game. I stand by my comment that its ugly as hell.
15 Apr 2014, 13:58 PM

It is the "Three Color Ambush Pattern"

That is the only one I feel is properly genuine to my mind.
15 Apr 2014, 14:28 PM

There are 4 patterns that the US used on their tanks that I know of, a pattern with black stripes over the base green, a pattern with orange-brownish stripes over the base green (similar to the Soviet central front skin), a pattern with small, short yellow stripes painted everywhere on the vehicle over the base green, and a pattern big yellow stripes over the base green (this one was used in Italy).

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/all_images/american/Tanks/US044.jpg
http://www.flyingmule.com/img/prd/DM-60317_01_lrg.jpg
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/catalog/16359.jpg

There was also a picture of the small yellow stripe camo but I can't find it right now.
15 Apr 2014, 14:30 PM
Patrion 14

I think Relic can take liberties with German armour - look at this.
15 Apr 2014, 14:35 PM
15 Apr 2014, 14:46 PM

I think Relic can take liberties with German armour - look at this.
Of course, there were many variations depending on local requirements.
15 Apr 2014, 15:46 PM

Fascinating look at those paint schemes... if only Relic had actually used more than a couple of them... :(
15 Apr 2014, 15:53 PM

LOL PINK PANTHER!!!
15 Apr 2014, 17:03 PM
Patrion 14

That T55 is on a side-street in South London, near the Elephant and Castle roundabout*. I used to drive past it all the time.

* Americans - that's a turning circle.
15 Apr 2014, 17:09 PM
Benefactor 115

It's a T-34/85

a few weeks after that picture was taken:

15 Apr 2014, 17:10 PM

I would pay for a rainbow camo.
15 Apr 2014, 19:37 PM

Maybe relic could make rounds hitting the tank leave different colour blobs like a paintball gun or on a more serious note leave a scar or dent in the armour so if your tank survives you can see where the shell impacts hit.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★