Login

russian armor

Osttrupen Tactics

16 Mar 2014, 03:13 AM

Can someone please explain how to properly use these guys because i tried the Osttrupen tactics and had 4 squads together to defend a point but lost all to 2 conscript squads .Usually I pull a sniper or a mortar for support but they still die fast , hard to preserve them.How do you actually use them (In battle)other then to cap points and build forward bunkers.
16 Mar 2014, 03:16 AM

sounds like you didnt have them in cover. they deal half damage when out of cover. they also cant shoot while moving. if you had 4 squads in cover, they shouldve been able to handle 2 cons.
16 Mar 2014, 03:19 AM

Ostruppen are roughly worth about half of a conscript squad and only if they are in cover and staying still. They are best used as a sort of delay unit, so don't really expect them too do much other then tie up the soviets while your other units do the real damage. If you really want them to be effective in combat you need to pair them up with officers so they can buff them all at once.
16 Mar 2014, 03:43 AM

Ostruppen are roughly worth about half of a conscript squad and only if they are in cover and staying still.

maybe if youre talking about hp, since they only have 48 hp compared to most infantry which have 80. thats another reason why cover is so important for them.

in terms of dps, a single osttruppen squad in cover is practically as strong as a con squad.
16 Mar 2014, 04:28 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Mar 2014, 03:43 AMwooof

maybe if youre talking about hp, since they only have 48 hp compared to most infantry which have 80. thats another reason why cover is so important for them.

in terms of dps, a single osttruppen squad in cover is practically as strong as a con squad.
I just meant in overall worth. I usually go in with the assumption that I can take on one con for every two osttrupen I have.
16 Mar 2014, 04:28 AM

I usually use them mid game to recrew weapons lying around on the cheap. Any and all of them. Or for an extra Faust in a pinch if I had a lot of gren whipes.
16 Mar 2014, 06:47 AM

The Osttrupen are left in green cover but they cant seem to ever hit the enemy .Usually they are left with 0 kills while my mortar , sniper or officer squad gets kills
16 Mar 2014, 08:27 AM

Imperial Dane made a video on them today, actually. It's here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x-2pa2Rvg8

Overview from me; Osttruppen are only to be used in cover, preferably defensively. They do not make good offensive troops because out of cover they are worthless, and they cannot shoot while moving. They're also notable in that they have 48 health, while most units have 80. This makes Osttruppen extra vulnerable to fire and explosives. At Vet 3 though they gain some armour, which improves their survivability slightly. Osttruppen are macro intensive due to needing frequent retreat and reinforcement.

Also very important note about Cover: If an enemy unit gets within the same cover, the bonuses are removed for both sides. This means charging at an Osttruppen squad will make them useless again. As an Osttruppen user there's nothing you can really do about this other than have several squads in the same general area, or have MG 42's ready to support.

Random fact, an Osttruppen squad in Heavy Cover will beat a Penal Squad standing in the open. Not that such a thing will ever happen, but in heavy cover they can be quite capable.
16 Mar 2014, 08:42 AM

Also very important note about Cover: If an enemy unit gets within the same cover, the bonuses are removed for both sides.

this actually has nothing to do with being in the same cover. this is caused by being within near range (<10m). when small arms are that close, they ignore cover bonuses.
17 Mar 2014, 12:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Mar 2014, 08:42 AMwooof

this actually has nothing to do with being in the same cover. this is caused by being within near range (<10m). when small arms are that close, they ignore cover bonuses.

that's what he said too
17 Mar 2014, 16:40 PM

that's what he said too

close, but not quite. you dont have to stand in the same cover to ignore cover bonuses. say a molotov denies you cover, you can still be close enough to ignore cover even when standing in the open.
17 Mar 2014, 20:54 PM

I start ostruupen with 2 mgs and build 10-12 ostruppen into t3.(1 ost,2 mg,5-6 ost, 2nd pio ->flame upgrades, bunkers/officer when/where needed, tech to t3, p4/stug)

Bunker every approach you can and get out p4/stug. With a ostruppen heavy build and multiple mg support you can overwhelm any part/s of the map you choose until t34s/t70s.
I always go straight for the enemy fuel cutoff, lock it down.

I always like to throw 2 flamer pios in for killing power as 4 ost can barely delay 1 conscript.

Im always caught by t34/su76 before my first tank comes out. When that happens I start hiding ost around corners everywhere to faust the enemies tank. Once I have my first successful faust, I send every ost I can muster to faust the damaged tank. Now the tank Im building will have easy pickings.

The real problem with this doc comes when heavy tanks come. There isn't anything to help you vs squad wiping vehicles, so you have to dominate the inf fight early, hopefully kill their first tank and then build up a tank force to overwhelm any heavies. You can try going t4 but you'll have to go t2 for paks.

I also tried sniper/s for killing power but they require to much micro to actually kill fast enough , they hardly seem to shoot by freewill.

Not using grens, or pgs you ll be hoarding loads of muntions. Build mines, more bunkers, or whatever you think you need for whats next. The railroad arty comes so late, is expensive, and hit and miss so it's not reliable enough to be used in a strategy, unless facing an on-map stationary arty spammer.

Once you are halfway through game, STOP building ost. I have a habit of forgetting to just buy grens instead of the quick to battle ost, which tends to lead to downfall. Late game re-crewing weapons though is a no brainer.

Dont be defensive with Ostruppen. Be the aggressor as long as you can, as deep forward to enemies base or important points as possible. The key to this doc is overwhelming pseudo firepower by numbers.

Use the officer plenty, aka smoke the approach to an mg then rush it with 5 ostruppen and flamer. Smoke the line of sight of sniper, feign retreat then rush forward. A group of ost, plus concentrated fire can be deadly.
17 Mar 2014, 21:00 PM

Snip.

Railway will hit and kill a Fausted IS2. Its too slow to escape. And thats without heavy engine damage.

Also two Railways will clear all base sector buildings. So you can literally take a Scout Car into the base and Railway it to death....
18 Mar 2014, 03:38 AM

While that is possible , if you actually hit anything you hope for is more luck than anything. Vs inf you have a better chance of the splash doing real damage but vs tanks that move, even while fausted, trying to hit them with rng isnt reliable. And at 200 mp, you have 1 to 2 shots and then you face muntions drain like all other ost docs.

2 railways will clear a base sector if you are the luckiest person in the world when you use it. Otherwise it will pummel more empty ground then actually hitting structures.
20 Mar 2014, 22:50 PM

While that is possible , if you actually hit anything you hope for is more luck than anything. Vs inf you have a better chance of the splash doing real damage but vs tanks that move, even while fausted, trying to hit them with rng isnt reliable. And at 200 mp, you have 1 to 2 shots and then you face muntions drain like all other ost docs.

2 railways will clear a base sector if you are the luckiest person in the world when you use it. Otherwise it will pummel more empty ground then actually hitting structures.

I did it to my buddy three times in a Row when the commander first came out. Just to troll him. Its not as inaccurate as you are making it out to be. Its not going to hit anything thats moving at regular speed thats for sure. But an Engine Damaged IS2 simply cant get out of its way.

I was LOLing my ass off when I did in game. I was already winning the resource war so I was like lets see if this works hahahaha. And sure enough he saw the smoke and started to move away and BAM dead IS2.
20 Mar 2014, 23:41 PM

VonMecha, in your strat sounds like a really good idea to throw down a LOT of tellars, seen as you dominate territory early and have the ressource ability.

Then again, thats going to slow down building tanks, if you use the ability too much.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★