Login

russian armor

Rank//Removal of Stars

22 Feb 2014, 10:37 AM

Stars are no good indicator of skill. I'm 3 star, my friend is 5 star, but we're by no means high level players.
22 Feb 2014, 12:23 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Please Relic add good indicator of skill in load-in screen.

How's that?
22 Feb 2014, 12:36 PM

Maybe relic could creat the same ranked and level system like in vCoH??!

No that would be too easy they had to creat some new awesome stuff like all are level 100 dont matter if they good or not +1
22 Feb 2014, 12:41 PM

How's that?

Sorry, I meant that's the point. People saw stars and went "Oh I quit" without even bothering to play through. Stars are meaningless, but people were still ready to drop out of games at the sight of them. They're no good indicator of skill, thus they have been removed from automatch (all?) lobbies to prevent pre-emptive quitting.
22 Feb 2014, 12:46 PM

Sorry, I meant that's the point. People saw stars and went "Oh I quit" without even bothering to play through. Stars are meaningless, but people were still ready to drop out of games at the sight of them. They're no good indicator of skill, thus they have been removed from automatch (all?) lobbies to prevent pre-emptive quitting.

WTF? i think no player who is playin this game more then 1 week knows that the CoH2 level isnt a skill indicator
22 Feb 2014, 13:05 PM

WTF? i think no player who is playin this game more then 1 week knows that the CoH2 level isnt a skill indicator

You would be suprized.

22 Feb 2014, 14:05 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Should the system be catered to pre-emptive quitters? I say "fuck no, fuck them." Why cater to the lowest common denominator? Please Relic, cater to competitors, not quitters.
22 Feb 2014, 18:30 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

What about implementing a rank, at least for now, only on 1v1?
23 Feb 2014, 02:21 AM

Catering for the lowest common dominator is just dumb

Please just give me an incentive to play!!!!!

Decent ladder set up...

Ranks

Its not hard is it!?

Who cares if someone quits really?
23 Feb 2014, 03:02 AM

Should the system be catered to pre-emptive quitters? I say "fuck no, fuck them." Why cater to the lowest common denominator? Please Relic, cater to competitors, not quitters.

Amen to that
23 Feb 2014, 03:30 AM

I have been thinking about this thread and I have concluded Relic is in a tight spot. If they show off ranks (whether skill or time based) they may encourage quitting which nobody wants. If they don't they do not give players who have worked hard the chance to "show off" so to say. I think they have tried to partially fix this by offering paint schemes only at certain ranks (which is really not a great solution because nobody memorizes when they unlock).

They might consider providing access to unique paint jobs (divisional markers) for lvl 100 players. You would not know until you were in game, but you would be able to show off some awesome colors that no one else could. They would not need to have more than 5 or so per side, but it would be a nice reward for dedicated players. For the Osteer look at: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Insignia_of_the_Wehrmacht

This is not a perfect solution but a half way point. A good compromise after all should leave everyone upset.

I am open to other ideas like this one to help reward high ranking, dedicated players. There should be no changes in the game play but anything else could go.
23 Feb 2014, 04:07 AM

I have been thinking about this thread and I have concluded Relic is in a tight spot. If they show off ranks (whether skill or time based) they may encourage quitting which nobody wants. If they don't they do not give players who have worked hard the chance to "show off" so to say. I think they have tried to partially fix this by offering paint schemes only at certain ranks (which is really not a great solution because nobody memorizes when they unlock).

the dumbest logic...

why the fuck would people quit if they dont reach X rank? If anything it would make the game way more competitive if you can reach ranks and lose ranks
then you'd probably see more people in tournaments who want to prove themsleves
23 Feb 2014, 05:37 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Feb 2014, 00:03 AMr7Bashy
I'm fully aware stars mean jack all but I'm just amazed they've removed another piece off the faceplate.

Where is the incentive to play

I remember when only a select few were level 13 plus and when you got matched with one of those players how cool it was.

Now there is no incentive no kudos just play.

Yes I know we are not all competitive but personally I like to have something to aim for and a reason to try and get better

Now there is nothing but a big pool of equality. Good or bad doesn't really matter and as we all know this my friends is why communism failed

Give us leagues as in SC2, Bronze, Gold, Platinum etc etc
23 Feb 2014, 14:09 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Feb 2014, 04:07 AMmorten1

the dumbest logic...

why the fuck would people quit if they dont reach X rank? If anything it would make the game way more competitive if you can reach ranks and lose ranks
then you'd probably see more people in tournaments who want to prove themsleves

Before you call my logic dumb, may be you should ask me to explain it since you did not understand my post.

People aren't quitting because they are not reaching a rank, they are quitting because they have a low rank and they see someone with a high rank. This is common in lower tier match ups and Relic is trying to stop it.

The game would probably be more competitive if we could see ranks, but the problem is that the player base is very small so match ups frequently occur between low ranking and high ranking players.
23 Feb 2014, 16:45 PM

How's that?

Doubtful.
At most we'll be able to see it after the game(as we can now with tiny bit of effort), but doing so before the game is completely pointless, unless you like to give up/hype up for the win before the game even started.

Give us leagues as in SC2, Bronze, Gold, Platinum etc etc

Can't really see that working unless we have large enough community to support it, otherwise it won't have any accuracy to it.
24 Feb 2014, 11:00 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Feb 2014, 16:45 PMKatitof

Doubtful.
At most we'll be able to see it after the game(as we can now with tiny bit of effort), but doing so before the game is completely pointless, unless you like to give up/hype up for the win before the game even started.

You know some of us won't have serious mental issues if someone sees our rank

And yes of course I wanna get hyped up for the game, that's what makes competitive games/sports interesting.

Whats pointless is doing your best for 3 minutes vs complete noob, before you realize that he is trying to counter shock troops with at gun. And leaves the game after 4 minutes.

If someone can't handle losing video games, they shouldn't be tricked into playing games that they will quit after 5 minutes anyway.

That's pointless. Unless you find pleasure in trashing noobs of course
24 Feb 2014, 11:07 AM

You know some of us won't have serious mental issues if someone sees our rank

And yes of course I wanna get hyped up for the game, that's what makes competitive games/sports interesting.

Whats pointless is doing your best for 3 minutes vs complete noob, before you realize that he is trying to counter shock troops with at gun. And leaves the game after 4 minutes.

If someone can't handle losing video games, they shouldn't be tricked into playing games that they will quit after 5 minutes anyway.

That's pointless. Unless you find pleasure in trashing noobs of course

So he will keep dropping in ladder until he finds opponent who counters pgren blobs with mine detector CEs and will have his game of skill and you will go up until you'll hit your challenge.

Do you really need to be told that before the game?
Name me one good reasons why stars were useful, but don't try with "it showed skill" because I've met plenty of 5 star pros who tried to counter shocks with AT guns.
24 Feb 2014, 11:21 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Feb 2014, 11:07 AMKatitof

So he will keep dropping in ladder until he finds opponent who counters pgren blobs with mine detector CEs and will have his game of skill and you will go up until you'll hit your challenge.

Do you really need to be told that before the game?
Name me one good reasons why stars were useful, but don't try with "it showed skill" because I've met plenty of 5 star pros who tried to counter shocks with AT guns.

Who cares about stars, stupid steam ranks, steam achievements and 6,000,000 medals

My first point is there should be true ranks

My second point is: people who are quitters will quit either on loading screen or 4 minutes into the game. Or eventually learn to sync-hack and use it to turn their hurt ego into victory.

No one is wining there. You think those guys attitude changes from not wanting to play vs someone with 2 more stars to trying their best vs someone who is kicking their ass in game? I don't think so
12 Mar 2014, 22:16 PM
Benefactor 360

Give vcoh levels, SC2 divisons or just show the bloody Elo. <444>_<444>
17 Mar 2014, 05:07 AM
Patrion 15

I have been thinking about this thread and I have concluded Relic is in a tight spot. If they show off ranks (whether skill or time based) they may encourage quitting which nobody wants.

I'm so god damn tired of the participation trophy society we have created where we shelter everyone from real competition and everyone gets a medal. If they decide to drop every game against an opponent of a higher skill level then screw them, let them quit and continue to blame matchmaking, balance, and whatever else they want to QQ about. Its pointless to cater to these people, as they won't help the game improve/grow in the long run.

Honestly I don't mind not knowing my opponents rank because I play to win regardless of my match up, but it does take some of excitement out of getting matched with someone of a higher rank than you, because you know you have an opportunity to jump in rank.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could follow your ladder rank IN GAME?!?! It just feels silly to have to go to a 3rd party site (I love you guys and this site, btw) just to see where you rank among your peers in what is supposed to be a competitive game. I think the COH system worked beautifully, it gave you an idea of your opponents skill level. If you got matched against someone with a higher rank than you, get ready to rumble and give it your best shot. If you got matched against someone lower rank than you, its your balls on the band saw. You lose? Taste the defeat, lose some rank, and let that be your motivation to improve. Having the visual icon in game next to your nameplate on every single game you played made it actually worth something. Now its just whatever. The vCoh system was much, much better for encouraging competitive play, and I don't think it would discourage casual players either. If Relic was concerned about casual players being turned off by getting ranked against higher level opponents, they could just create a lobby and let people play against whoever they want. I don't even think it would be difficult to implement. I don't understand why they have the current system in place...Relic, I love your games, but you frequently leave me scratching my head.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

France 11
South Africa 2
Germany 734
Netherlands 2
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L