Login

russian armor

Elefants

19 Feb 2014, 11:28 AM

how is this constantly overlooked I have no idea. or maybe 1v1 is where the shizz is at. i know i have been harping on this but seriously, this thing is a major problem.

pathetically, the design decision for this game is asymmetry. germans have powerful tanks, soviets have more than capable assault guns. it would all be fine if everything followed the rule, but nope elefants shits on that and brings in more firepower than germans really need.

what really happens is the elefant, nullifies every single advantage that the soviets have in the anti tank department, good assault guns. coming with 400 frontal armour, 1280hp and 100range. its impregnable by all except the AT gun and su85. however, it shits on su85s so hard, its up to the humble AT gun to do something about it, which is at best, awful against it.

that insane frontal armour makes max pen values unreliable, with less than 50% to pen and that beefy hp forces AT guns to shoot for EXTREME extended periods of time and risk exposure to artillery fire, guaranteed. combo that with 100 range, its will be sited well behind lines, safe from almost everything maybe a stray arty fire or so.

soviets, lacking in AT tanks, cannot rely on flanking or shock and awe tactics like germans with their panzercats and blitzkreig that darts around faster than a cat who accidentally turned on the vacuum cleaner. so attacking its rear armour its ALMOST out of the question. 1 will have to be close to brain dead to expose its rear to assault guns and AT guns.

the is2 is an exception, its capable of flanking and killing an elefant, but it is not invulnerable to the german infantry that will be swarming the elefant, schrecks and pfaust will blow it up quite easy. or a panther to check it nice and good and is2 becomes more or less target practice.

still not convinced? here's the kick. you might argue or try to find an effective counter in the form of 152mm howitzer. but nope, the thing is, the elefant doctrine comes with anti arty abilities too. they have recon runs and that isnt enough? they get a bombing run that 1 shots howitzers. it doesnt take much imagination as to how to blow up a stationary equipment with this 2 abilities.

still arguing with guards and bombing runs? thats unreliable at best, no sane german player will leave elefants unprotected and swarm it with infantry and sneaking a guards squad through probably vetted grens and pgrens is pretty much suicide, not to mention staying stationary for the duration of buttoning.

but then again, this forums is too pro german, so i must prepare myself for the incoming onslaught on my psyche and something about my mother being fucked by a random guy on the net 5thousand miles away.

still better to let my views known than sit back and do nothing. let me know how badly u guys think of me. thanks.
19 Feb 2014, 11:40 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Feb 2014, 11:28 AMwongtp
how is this constantly overlooked I have no idea. or maybe 1v1 is where the shizz is at. i know i have been harping on this but seriously, this thing is a major problem.

pathetically, the design decision for this game is asymmetry. germans have powerful tanks, soviets have more than capable assault guns. it would all be fine if everything followed the rule, but nope elefants shits on that and brings in more firepower than germans really need.

what really happens is the elefant, nullifies every single advantage that the soviets have in the anti tank department, good assault guns. coming with 400 frontal armour, 1280hp and 100range. its impregnable by all except the AT gun and su85. however, it shits on su85s so hard, its up to the humble AT gun to do something about it, which is at best, awful against it.

that insane frontal armour makes max pen values unreliable, with less than 50% to pen and that beefy hp forces AT guns to shoot for EXTREME extended periods of time and risk exposure to artillery fire, guaranteed. combo that with 100 range, its will be sited well behind lines, safe from almost everything maybe a stray arty fire or so.

soviets, lacking in AT tanks, cannot rely on flanking or shock and awe tactics like germans with their panzercats and blitzkreig that darts around faster than a cat who accidentally turned on the vacuum cleaner. so attacking its rear armour its ALMOST out of the question. 1 will have to be close to brain dead to expose its rear to assault guns and AT guns.

the is2 is an exception, its capable of flanking and killing an elefant, but it is not invulnerable to the german infantry that will be swarming the elefant, schrecks and pfaust will blow it up quite easy. or a panther to check it nice and good and is2 becomes more or less target practice.

still not convinced? here's the kick. you might argue or try to find an effective counter in the form of 152mm howitzer. but nope, the thing is, the elefant doctrine comes with anti arty abilities too. they have recon runs and that isnt enough? they get a bombing run that 1 shots howitzers. it doesnt take much imagination as to how to blow up a stationary equipment with this 2 abilities.

still arguing with guards and bombing runs? thats unreliable at best, no sane german player will leave elefants unprotected and swarm it with infantry and sneaking a guards squad through probably vetted grens and pgrens is pretty much suicide, not to mention staying stationary for the duration of buttoning.

but then again, this forums is too pro german, so i must prepare myself for the incoming onslaught on my psyche and something about my mother being fucked by a random guy on the net 5thousand miles away.

still better to let my views known than sit back and do nothing. let me know how badly u guys think of me. thanks.

Man I wish I could tell you something different, but unfortunately Relic has decided that they do now want to try and balance 4v4 games at all because its to hard.
They are hoping that balance issues will be lost in the clutter of players accusing each other of being noob, L2P, etc.
I guess you will just have to get used to it, sorry
19 Feb 2014, 11:48 AM

the elefant is a slow moving, slow firing, and somewhat inaccurate tank at range. One of the better tactics in big games is is killing pgs with shrecks using shocks and picking them up, yes easier said than done, but possible.
19 Feb 2014, 11:50 AM

Try use mortars and smoke vision of the Elefant, chaaaaarge. :)
Neo
19 Feb 2014, 11:52 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Feb 2014, 11:48 AMakula
One of the better tactics in big games is is killing pgs with shrecks using shocks and picking them up

You didn't just seriously say this, right?

19 Feb 2014, 11:56 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Feb 2014, 11:50 AMAradan
Try use mortars and smoke vision of the Elefant, chaaaaarge. :)

charge with?
19 Feb 2014, 12:04 PM
Patrion 14

Ha ha ha Elefant is so slow I actually demo charged a damaged one using smoke as cover.

I hardly ever see them, and I play a lot of 4 v 4.
19 Feb 2014, 12:07 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Feb 2014, 11:56 AMwongtp

charge with?

With T-34/76 + ZiS-3. Or run with cons throw AT + 2x SU-85 from far.
Smoked Elefant dont fire.

In team games it is very hard deal, but you can.
19 Feb 2014, 12:08 PM

The Elefant is the slowest vehicle in the game, I think even Infantry can outrun it.
19 Feb 2014, 12:28 PM

The Elefant is the slowest vehicle in the game, I think even Infantry can outrun it.

Its also best armored, most health, biggest range and biggest damage one.
Its only weakness-infantry can't do any damage to it, its other weakness, arty, is hardcountered by doctrine its in.

Its not unbeatable, but again, old TA also wasn't.
19 Feb 2014, 12:43 PM

sadly, contrary to what many of u are thinking, this is in 2v2 context, not the 4v4 or whatever. games there are a mess.
19 Feb 2014, 13:00 PM

Elefant is slow as fuck and misses 100 times, so maybe play more games and don't come here whining about 1 unit that's INDEED very strong, but far from OP or anything you are saying.
19 Feb 2014, 13:05 PM

Elefant is slow as fuck and misses 100 times, so maybe play more games and don't come here whining about 1 unit that's INDEED very strong, but far from OP or anything you are saying.

i think i play enough? i have 600 over games before the patch.. and around rank 90-150 in 2v2. so yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. not the best player, but definitely average.
19 Feb 2014, 13:10 PM

Yeah, it can be really ridicoulous in team games (it's ok in 1v1).
Funny thing is I remember pqumsieh saying in one of the streams that arty should be no1 counter to it, and it can actually work. Until OH player bombs the shit out of it of course...
This doctrine should not have both recon and bombing run at the same time (no doctrine should have that).

In theory, double t34/85 + guard squad + mark target will do best against it. But you need to clear it of its support first, which (especially) in team games is extremely hard, as with its range it can sit just outside the base pretty much.

By itself, the unit seems ok - its expensive and has severe disadvantages, but the doctrine should be reworked and have either recon OR bombing replaced with sth else, so it's dedicated counter isnt immediately hardcountered.

ps. shocks with schreck are indeed good as well, but you can't actually PLAN this as a strategy :)
19 Feb 2014, 13:30 PM

ps. shocks with schreck are indeed good as well, but you can't actually PLAN this as a strategy :)

yea, schrecks are so bloody good in game and farms up vet darn fast. its almost a problem on its own. there was a reason why laser schrecks were nerfed in voch and years after that its back.

did relic learn nothing? but thats another issue.
19 Feb 2014, 13:31 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Feb 2014, 12:43 PMwongtp
sadly, contrary to what many of u are thinking, this is in 2v2 context, not the 4v4 or whatever. games there are a mess.

Sorry, member of the 2 v 2 master race. i'll just fuck off then.
19 Feb 2014, 13:53 PM

Permanently Banned
Nerf Elefant? lol

Turtle tank, and coming too late... Dont need that...
19 Feb 2014, 14:32 PM

WTF?? dude seriously, you want to combat the best antitank in the game...with tanks?
The same doctrine of the ISU152 has also that nuclear plane that drops 4 *fatmans*. Use that and, your welcome.
Also, the elefant is soooooooo inaccurate that it fails most of the shots. Use guards or ZiS or something, but dont fight an ANTITANK with TANK. -_- Elefant is fine as it is, but I suggest an Hold fire button for it because I cant stand it shooting at infantry...pf
19 Feb 2014, 14:35 PM

WTF?? dude seriously, you want to combat the best antitank in the game...with tanks?
The same doctrine of the ISU152 has also that nuclear plane that drops 4 *fatmans*. Use that and, your welcome.
Also, the elefant is soooooooo inaccurate that it fails most of the shots. Use guards or ZiS or something, but dont fight an ANTITANK with TANK. -_- Elefant is fine as it is, but I suggest an Hold fire button for it because I cant stand it shooting at infantry...pf

dude, i want a weapon THAT WORKS. if you read correctly, i said it was uncounterable, NOT that it was too good at what it does. i listed down everything that might have a chance and it boils down to AT guns. even so with its massive hp and armour, nothing is effective.
19 Feb 2014, 14:39 PM

uncounterable. shits so op.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 111
South Africa 2
unknown 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L