Login

russian armor

SNF / Halftrack

29 Jan 2014, 11:21 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jan 2014, 07:23 AMQvazar
In hindsight, this FHT and infantry blob into Tiger strat seems like the perfect opportunity for the SU-76M to prove its worth, followed by a Katyusha and SU-85. Then we might also have seen an AC with 20mm.

+1. Didn't Peter say something in one of the games to the effect of "Why doesn't the Soviet player get a Katyusha?" I actually thought Barton was going to get a howitzer, instead of the KV-1, in his Kholodny game as Soviets and use that to start blasting the defensive blob.

Changing the behavior of the FHT seems like something that should be quite low down on the priorities list for balance changes.
29 Jan 2014, 18:35 PM

+1. Didn't Peter say something in one of the games to the effect of "Why doesn't the Soviet player get a Katyusha?" I actually thought Barton was going to get a howitzer, instead of the KV-1, in his Kholodny game as Soviets and use that to start blasting the defensive blob.

Changing the behavior of the FHT seems like something that should be quite low down on the priorities list for balance changes.

They need to leave it as is.
29 Jan 2014, 20:51 PM

FHTs only ever bother me if I'm caught without AT nades or I didn't go T2. I see no issue from getting roflstomped into the dirt because I forgot to pull up my pants, and I never had issue with flammen halftracks in vCoH.

Boosting the cost of reinforcing from HTs would just relegate them to the scrap heap. Why reinforce in the field when I can run back to base and take 15 extra seconds to get cheaper reinforcements?

IMHO, this issue just shows the iffy teching options and weedy non-doctrinal unit counts for both factions. If the Soviets had a non-doctrinal PTRS AT team and Guards were elite AI infantry (such as how people have screamed for since day 1...)
29 Jan 2014, 23:13 PM

See, that's thinking only like a Soviet player. Germans will want to reinforce in the field more because they have less men in a squad. Lose 1 man and the DPS and survivability of the squad is reduced by 1/4, which means he's forced off the field faster. This is even more important for things like German weapon crews.

I'm of the mind that whatever the final change to the HT is, just make sure that there's a corresponding change that helps solidify its new role somewhere else.
30 Jan 2014, 10:07 AM

the bulk of german anti infantry capabilities are usually focused on the guy with the upgrades. while 1/4 of dps sounds like alot, its actually only the k98, not the lmg or the g43 guys, so its probably more like 1/10 of dps. unless its the pgrens, then yes i agree.

in fact soviets are losing men more often than germans, so 1 would think soviets really need to reinforce on the field to keep up with the german player.

flame HT are well, i dunno, they are still pretty powerful and comes at a time when soviets do not have mobile counters for a pretty good amount of time, allowing it to dominate the field.
30 Jan 2014, 10:13 AM

You guys seem to forget that German on the field reinforcement option comes a lot quicker than Soviet one not to mention complete lack of it if Soviet goes T4.
30 Jan 2014, 10:43 AM

They still have squad merge for instant reinforcement on the field, you just need conscripts nearby.
30 Jan 2014, 10:47 AM

so i get more conscripts to merge with conscripts in order to get more conscripts on the field? then i run that conscripts squad back to base to reinforce and trot back to the front lines to reinforce more conscripts in order to maintain conscripts field presence?
30 Jan 2014, 10:55 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jan 2014, 10:47 AMwongtp
so i get more conscripts to merge with conscripts in order to get more conscripts on the field? then i run that conscripts squad back to base to reinforce and trot back to the front lines to reinforce more conscripts in order to maintain conscripts field presence?

You need healing your troops. If you only merge, you have bigger loses. (for reinforcing from halftrack the same)
30 Jan 2014, 13:07 PM

Merge is not an all powerful ability, you are still taking one unit out of action for a run back at HQ. It's also a badly made ability that allows you to straight up destroy a unit if the numbers match up (3 men in one squad, 3 men in the merging squad), and merging while in combat puts a unit in severe risk, not just from gunfire, but if one of the two merging squads loses men, you run the risk of doing a destructive merge.

I think Soviets having more difficult access to in field reinforcement is intended, because part of the meta is to force conscripts to go back reinforce, since they are otherwise a lot more mobile than grenadiers. This will be a bigger issue if they make the same change to restrict M5 reinforcement after upgrading.
30 Jan 2014, 16:25 PM

I still think that both HT are fine in their current state.
Perhaps if Relic wants to tune its balance, they should give a slight increase in the reinforcing cost or the reinforcing time from HTs
30 Jan 2014, 17:01 PM

Hello;

German FHT = no reinforcements = Great and logical as fuel replace troops.
Soviet M5 Quad = no reinforcements = Great and logical as ammo replace troops.

However, to mitigate this major nerf, i suggest :

A new German HT upgrade :
I would give the un-upgraded German HT the option to be upgraded with medical supplies, so it could heal troops as much as a healing bunker for the same upgrade price. The ability to reinforce would still be there.

A new Soviet M5 upgrade:
I would give the un-upgraded Soviet M5 the option to be upgraded with medical supplies, so it could heal troops as much as the base hospital for the same upgrade price. The ability to reinforce would still be there.

Thank you, and what do you think ?
30 Jan 2014, 17:08 PM

Hello;

German FHT = no reinforcements = Great and logical as fuel replace troops.
Soviet M5 Quad = no reinforcements = Great and logical as ammo replace troops.

However, to mitigate this major nerf, i suggest :

A new German HT upgrade :
I would give the un-upgraded German HT the option to be upgraded with medical supplies, so it could heal troops as much as a healing bunker for the same upgrade price. The ability to reinforce would still be there.

A new Soviet M5 upgrade:
I would give the un-upgraded Soviet M5 the option to be upgraded with medical supplies, so it could heal troops as much as the base hospital for the same upgrade price. The ability to reinforce would still be there.

Thank you, and what do you think ?

I think if you gave the option to heal troops with each halftrack that would make camping on cutoffs much easier to carry out since your troops are constantly being healed on the front lines, this imo would make things too OP. I would recommend that relic add a new vehicle such as the hospital car to support this, however it would have to be 2 CPs and cost munitions/mp to bring out, as well as have a lock down requirement to be enabled/disabled with armor similiar to that of the opel blitz truck(basically an opel blitz truck transformed into a hospital car is what I'm going for here).
30 Jan 2014, 17:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jan 2014, 17:08 PMVonIvan

I think if you gave the option to heal troops with each halftrack that would make camping on cutoffs much easier to carry out since your troops are constantly being healed on the front lines, this imo would make things too OP. I would recommend that relic add a new vehicle such as the hospital car to support this, however it would have to be 2 CPs and cost munitions/mp to bring out, as well as have a lock down requirement to be enabled/disabled with armor similiar to that of the opel blitz truck(basically an opel blitz truck transformed into a hospital car is what I'm going for here).

To add to that, it would be absolutely counter intuitive to following things:
-medkits
-forward bases
-forward med bunker
-medical supply drop
30 Jan 2014, 17:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jan 2014, 17:08 PMVonIvan

I support that idea ! And the lock down could be add to my own suggestion :)
30 Jan 2014, 17:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jan 2014, 17:19 PMKatitof

To add to that, it would be absolutely counter intuitive to following things:
-medkits
-forward bases
-forward med bunker
-medical supply drop

Absolutely not, it is only a new option that is not more useful than the one mentioned above.
30 Jan 2014, 17:31 PM

Permanently Banned
Scout Car are used?

Man, that is the more weak armor in the game...

A old rifle kill this...
31 Jan 2014, 00:37 AM

No med, and you can't make it T3, or it'll be the useless unit it mostly was in COH. Even vs Brits in 1v1 the fuel expenditure to get to T3 and get a flamen was really iffy considering there ought to be a light tank on the field by that time.

I really don't see much of a problem with taking away the Ostheer HT's reinforce ability. The thing is the maps have so few points that having that unit on a cut-off is just a game-ender usually. Blame the Kholodny and Langrskaya map design. Honestly, I'm still not sure they should tweak units because the maps are faulty. I have never seen it be a huge problem on Semois winter or summer for instance.

Taking away reinforce when upgraded would make the game a lot more difficult for Ostheer on Semoisky, where it's used as a rapid response unit and for reinforce on a big map, but not have a huge effect on Kholodny or Langraskaya where it's used more often to maintain a base pin.

1 Feb 2014, 05:12 AM

No med, and you can't make it T3, or it'll be the useless unit it mostly was in COH. Even vs Brits in 1v1 the fuel expenditure to get to T3 and get a flamen was really iffy considering there ought to be a light tank on the field by that time.

I really don't see much of a problem with taking away the Ostheer HT's reinforce ability. The thing is the maps have so few points that having that unit on a cut-off is just a game-ender usually. Blame the Kholodny and Langrskaya map design. Honestly, I'm still not sure they should tweak units because the maps are faulty. I have never seen it be a huge problem on Semois winter or summer for instance.

Taking away reinforce when upgraded would make the game a lot more difficult for Ostheer on Semoisky, where it's used as a rapid response unit and for reinforce on a big map, but not have a huge effect on Kholodny or Langraskaya where it's used more often to maintain a base pin.

Wehr HT is godlike in vCOH, it is a heavy armoured MG42(s) on wheels, and cannot be taken down easily before T3 / PIATs

Volks + HT + Med bunker = a big Allies graveyard, it is not even hard to use only one HT to suppress 70% of Rifles flank

It would be fun if 251 regain this kind of suppression power.
1 Feb 2014, 08:52 AM
Developer Relic Badge

Be nice if half-tracks had a decent chance at getting to Vet 2 without requiring an upgrade to their armament, either done via reinforcing or maybe getting XP for being near the combat sort of like the PE system, but only for the unupgraded half-tracks.

Trying to get a stock 251 to Vet 1 takes ages let alone vet 2 because of its peashooters.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 88
Poland 8

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment