Login

russian armor

Sniper Balance

PAGES (10)down
28 Feb 2014, 18:56 PM

I usually rifle nade soviet snipers with an lmg gren squad to pretty good effect. They move out of cover/cloak, the lmg can tear them up, and the riflenade usually will wipe them.

But that's really really situational, and relies on a bit too much of opponent error. And only applies to ostheer.

It'd be nice if the spotter aside the soviet sniper could actually do some sort of spotting though. Their main function currently seems to chronically stand outside of cover and uncloak, and to prevent (counter)sniping from wiping the squad. (Sorry Vasily, I won't help, my job is to take your gun back to HQ for your replacement.) I mean, what else does the two man squad really do for the sniper?
28 Feb 2014, 21:04 PM

It'd be nice if the spotter aside the soviet sniper could actually do some sort of spotting though. Their main function currently seems to chronically stand outside of cover and uncloak, and to prevent (counter)sniping from wiping the squad. (Sorry Vasily, I won't help, my job is to take your gun back to HQ for your replacement.) I mean, what else does the two man squad really do for the sniper?

Nice question, lol.
1 Mar 2014, 00:47 AM

He has the most important function, keeping the sniper team alive lol..

Ah and btw I would love to see a player post a replay of them beating sniper+scout cars on langre. Of course ideally it would be nice to have a soviet player who had some skill and wasn't a complete noob.. I have gone from stagnant soviet play hovering around ELO 50s-60s to destroying everyone (top 10 players included) and being in 30s... In just a few games... It doesn't even have to be guards with snipers because I just get at nades. Always works... I almost feel cheap doing it.
1 Mar 2014, 05:44 AM

It'd be neat if they made it so that the Sniper had the Sniper Rifle and the Spotter was required for the large LOS and Flares.

Among other fixes of course, that's just a drop in the bucket of possible fixes, if the duo is even kept around.

The worst part about Snipers is you can get 2 of them and become uncontested. Germany's 4 man infantry squads simply can't compete.
1 Mar 2014, 17:03 PM

Agh, now I'm nostalgic for volksgrenadiers and their 5 man squads. With the option for mp40s, even two snipers could get cut down by a charge. That final volks with an mp40 could often eliminate both snipers, if one hadn't fallen in the initial rush.

Also, bikes. :p

I mean, sure there are assault grenadiers, but assault grenadiers are way expensive, only in an all-in commander, and lacking in a lot of versatility.
1 Mar 2014, 17:11 PM

Yeah bikes, but there wasnt also a motor break-up when a Panzerfaust was hit, and sticky (normally in my games) didnt come at early game, so snipers in Coh1 werent a big big problem like here.
1 Mar 2014, 17:17 PM

Just asking, why Soviet sniper team can one shot Ostheer sniper but Ostheer can't?

If Ostheer sniper can one shot the whole team, it would be much more balance.
1 Mar 2014, 17:32 PM
Donator 22

J

he can ;) with his vet1 ability. Don't forget to pray to our RNG God. Amen!
1 Mar 2014, 17:59 PM

he can ;) with his vet1 ability. Don't forget to pray to our RNG God. Amen!

Why should Ostheer pay for 45 muni doing this while they can do with a right click?
1 Mar 2014, 18:05 PM

Just asking, why Soviet sniper team can one shot Ostheer sniper but Ostheer can't?

Because soviet units have more durability while the germans are more effective at their roles.

The german sniper still kills squads faster, camos faster, and is more available. It is by far a better unit in every other situation except sniper duals.
1 Mar 2014, 18:09 PM

He has the most important function, keeping the sniper team alive lol..

Ah and btw I would love to see a player post a replay of them beating sniper+scout cars on langre. Of course ideally it would be nice to have a soviet player who had some skill and wasn't a complete noob.. I have gone from stagnant soviet play hovering around ELO 50s-60s to destroying everyone (top 10 players included) and being in 30s... In just a few games... It doesn't even have to be guards with snipers because I just get at nades. Always works... I almost feel cheap doing it.

Well, some strats are map dependent and lang being not in coh2 design spirit as its a port asked for imbalances since day one.

It is a fun map, but its not balanced, nor coh2 suitable.
Heavy mortar, M3 sniper, PaK43, elephant(or any 100 range vehicle), bunkers, all of that is batshit OP on that map, so I wouldn't use it as justification example.
1 Mar 2014, 20:26 PM

It points out the insane strength of that combo. The map is part of coh2 and also part of Tourneys, so doesnt really matter if you think its imba... Ive seen it work well on Kharkov too (basically all maps). To me map imbalance are just excuses, i have won and lost equally on every map and i never felt more "OP" starting on one side.
1 Mar 2014, 20:31 PM

Well, there is not a single equally open 1v1 map, so yes, the map imbalance is excuse here. What works fine elsewhere, works awesome here, north cutoff mg bunker if you start at south as german is another example of the map imbalance.

Yes, it is a tournament map as well, and SNF showed only how imbalanced the map is. Yes, it is a part of coh2, but not native one, it originated from different balance assumptions for different armies and was simply ported because it was popular in vcoh.

All I'm saying here is that exact map is a rather bad indicator of what is OP or UP, because it creates extremely biased pov for the reasons I've mentioned in the previous post.
2 Mar 2014, 05:06 AM

Because soviet units have more durability while the germans are more effective at their roles.

The german sniper still kills squads faster, camos faster, and is more available. It is by far a better unit in every other situation except sniper duals.

And as it has been shown, this designed is heavily flawed. They tried to balance it by making the Soviet Snipers shoot very slowly. But then if you get 2 Snipers, they don't need to shoot fast, they can put any squad at risk, especially weapon crews. Their durability means they never die unless the Soviet player fucks up, or the German player gets a lucky mortar hit.
2 Mar 2014, 06:19 AM

And as it has been shown, this designed is heavily flawed. They tried to balance it by making the Soviet Snipers shoot very slowly. But then if you get 2 Snipers, they don't need to shoot fast, they can put any squad at risk, especially weapon crews. Their durability means they never die unless the Soviet player fucks up, or the German player gets a lucky mortar hit.

Yeah the design definetly has some flaws, the system would probably work better if they started with 8 v 6 sized squads, but it would probably be harder for optimization.
3 Mar 2014, 15:02 PM

Permanently Banned
The soviet sniper are a little bugged i think, i with a PZ4 and take time to kill one, the other retry, that guy survive a cannon shot and get the bolt legs...
3 Mar 2014, 15:08 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Mar 2014, 15:02 PMBravus
The soviet sniper are a little bugged i think, i with a PZ4 and take time to kill one, the other retry, that guy survive a cannon shot and get the bolt legs...

What??
3 Mar 2014, 15:42 PM

What??

He want buf tanks versus infantry and nerf retreat status. But I guess it was awarded to the survival of all infantry squads in retreat.

Sniper ballance is good, but lacks of counters ruined game, if someone spam snipers (Soviet/OST).
4 Mar 2014, 08:08 AM
Patrion 15

I really like the function of the sniper in coh2, but I would like to see a really cheap detector unit such as the bike & jeep (from vcoh) implemented to force players to micro their snipers well. At the moment there is no real way to counter snipers, scout cars require to much of a fuel investment to be a worthwhile counter.
4 Mar 2014, 08:18 AM

I really like the function of the sniper in coh2, but I would like to see a really cheap detector unit such as the bike & jeep (from vcoh) implemented to force players to micro their snipers well. At the moment there is no real way to counter snipers, scout cars require to much of a fuel investment to be a worthwhile counter.

Not to mention that Scout car HP is very low and its damage against snipers is poor.

That would be great if Relic increase MP cost of scout car and increase the damage against snipers in order to be able to kill them with 2-3 burst from far distance. that would make snipers retreat.

Atm when playing with russian snipers, I'm not worried by the presence of a Scout car. by the time the car is approaching to me, I stay in yellow cover (receiving damage) but before I can feel a real damage, my conscripts have already killed the SC with a single AT nade + a couple of shots. I'm doing this because of the lack of early guard troops, but conscripts + at nades work great deffending snipers.
PAGES (10)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight