Login

russian armor

Building nerf.

13 Dec 2013, 10:58 AM

Wow, well I know buildings were way too good before, but they are so weak now that grenades are not really needed at all. Pretty much anything can just stand there and easily shoot a squad out of a building at 2-1.

Guess Ill just have to get used to new buildings. Its obviously a positive move, but quite hard to get used to.
13 Dec 2013, 11:02 AM

i noticed it after first game, conscripts are dying easily now, i killed full squad with one gren squad and MG42 Kappa
13 Dec 2013, 11:31 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

...and harmony was restored to the universe at last. This was a much needed change, imho, and one that should have been made even before the open beta. Maybe we'll even be able to stop saying "Company of Houses"?
Before you had situations where one squad in a building could hold off an entire army, which was either ridiculous, boring, or game-breaking, depending on your perspective. So, yeah, positive change and big thanks to Relic for putting it in. This change and a few other small changes in the current patch have made big improvements.
13 Dec 2013, 12:05 PM

but yea, buildings are now worse than green cover
13 Dec 2013, 12:07 PM

but yea, buildings are now worse than green cover

This exactly. Well I'm not really complaining, before it was just ridiculous. But it's also a bit funny that they don't provide any protection anymore.
13 Dec 2013, 12:19 PM

Yeah much worse than actual cover, which is a bit odd.. they should just give green cover, but in all direction imo.

Now its a case of spamming sandbangs if you need to hold a point.

They are much worse than buildings in coh1 were.
13 Dec 2013, 12:24 PM

Permanently Banned
Still good vs some weapons. If Ive understood correctly, all weapons have specific modifiers vs the different types of cover in the game, ontop of that covers own modifier.

Most armor for example still cant do much to units inside a buildings, iirc.
13 Dec 2013, 13:27 PM

Oh that is interesting, I would like to see more about which certain units have higher/lower effectivness against buildings.

Certainly grens and PGs own them atm.
13 Dec 2013, 13:30 PM

If you're relying purely on small arms, that is true.
Unless I mixed something up, I get the following reductions:
Garrison 57.75%
Garrison old 84%
Heavy 75%
Light 50%
Smoke 75%
Bunker 87.75%
Trench 94% (lolwut?)

Of course this is only against small arms. Other weapons have completely different modifiers. Tanks for example are better vs. Heavy cover (-50%) than against Garrison cover (-75%) although you have to consider the AoE multiplier mentioned in some recent patch notes (larger AoE when attacking houses iirc).

Another thing to consider is unit spread. Inside a house the infantry is normally spread across several windows, whereas they tend to be very closely together when in heavy cover. This of course changes AoE damage potential but also small arms performance:
At least in CoH1 (unless I mix something up) you could only deal damage to the entities in windows facing you. This also means the squad can't retaliate with its full DPS and the small arms fire from the unit outside is focused on fewer targets (e.g. PGrens vs. Conscript squad = ideal example). Outside the house (e.g. in Light or Heavy cover) the damage would normally be spread more evenly between targets. This also explains the mincing of conscripts someone described further up.

Overall, I'm not sure if Garrison cover is now too bad but it definitely needed changes. Green cover also isn't available so readily on most maps and when it is available, it often leads to units clumping up because the area is very small, which ultimatelly makes them very vulnerable to explosions.

Let the construction of sandbags and trenches commence!
13 Dec 2013, 13:38 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

Rofltehcat, are those percentages to damage reduction, received accuracy reduction, or some combination? That trench number is pretty o_O but I guess that's what molotovs are for.
Also worth noting that sandbag build time got decreased from 120 sec to 80 sec.
13 Dec 2013, 14:16 PM

It is a combination for calculating the average overall damage reduction:
1 - (accuracymod * damagemod)
so for example for trenches 1 - (0.2 * 0.3) = 0.94

For calculating the average overall dealt damage it'd be 6% = (0.2 * 0.3)

For the vehicle example I dropped the accuracy modifier because ballistic vehicle weapons normally "always miss", so only the damage modifier applies (unless the modifier also affects AoE accuracy, but I don't think it does).
13 Dec 2013, 14:50 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

It is a combination for calculating the average overall damage reduction
Thanks for the explanation! I don't suppose you've done any digging and found out anything about changes to the effectiveness of mortars and snipers on buildings?
13 Dec 2013, 15:05 PM

Snipers had 0.4 accuracy before and now have 0.65 (0.6 for the German sniper, for whatever reason).
I don't think mortars were changed against buildings.
13 Dec 2013, 15:17 PM

Permanently Banned
Typical Relic overnerfing.
13 Dec 2013, 15:29 PM
Patrion 26

They are fine as they are now. Atleast now you dont have to camp for 2 hours outside the house trying to force units out
13 Dec 2013, 15:53 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

This is how it needs to be. Buildings in COH1 were weaker than green cover as well, thats why you could get in green cover and win vs a squad in a building in vcoh.

It is not overnerfed at all...
13 Dec 2013, 16:00 PM

I think a building should be changed again to provide a bit more cover than green cover due to it being completely useless atm. I like that the buildings are nerfed, but overnerfing them is a problem.
13 Dec 2013, 16:09 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

If buildings offer more cover than green cover then there is no incentive to not use buildings when buildings>all cover. Green cover should be slightly better than buildings so that *GASP* you have to make a strategic decision rather than just sticking everything in a building.
13 Dec 2013, 16:12 PM
Patrion 26

But otherwise cons can`t beat grens without having major loses and Ivan doesnt like that =)
13 Dec 2013, 16:21 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

People have to micro, OMG!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 84
Poland 9

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W