Login

russian armor

Some QoL Suggestions (Part II)

25 Feb 2023, 08:51 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Hello coh2.org!

CoH 3 finally released and giving new breath to our community. Hope you enjoy it!

But, like in CoH 2, some elements could be better and that's why i start QoL thread, part II. Some of you may have seen same thread in CoH 2 section, idea is the same - collect and order suggestion so devteam can easy find them in one place.

I will add new elements later, so thread will be updates in the future!

First thing which i want to talk about - customization menu. Good to see some options from the start, be should keep in mind, that game will get updates and new stuff in the future, so better to keep standartisation from the start, to avoid mistakes from CoH 2 (f.e. commander portraits before reshuffle).

Customization Menu

Glad to see some good researches from other community members, want to share them here:

UI & Icons - an Analysis by Euan

List of issues by pnova7

EXTRA

Pack of icons from NicePersonsGarden
https://www.reddit.com/r/CompanyOfHeroes/comments/11rfvqr/it_took_me_less_than_an_hour_to_make_these_you/

If you spotted something - feel free to post it here. As before, all suggestions will be with credits :)

UPD. Thread was doubled on official forum: https://community.companyofheroes.com/coh-franchise-home/company-of-heroes-3/forums/9-coh3-feedback/threads/3755-ui-thread-by-os?page=1#post-21297
25 Feb 2023, 09:11 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

That... is a ridiculous amount of placeholder assets... :faint:
25 Feb 2023, 10:44 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Feb 2023, 09:11 AMKasarov
That... is a ridiculous amount of placeholder assets... :faint:

yep.. I really wonder what the art department did the past 2 months, its crazy.
27 Feb 2023, 21:13 PM

Great analysis and thanks for the quote.

There were literally 100 other examples I could have put in my post but I just decided to stop at that point, and hope they get the idea.

I really hope someone at Relic takes a serious look at why their 2D art is still in the alpha stage.
28 Feb 2023, 19:55 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Feb 2023, 21:13 PMEuan
Great analysis and thanks for the quote.

There were literally 100 other examples I could have put in my post but I just decided to stop at that point, and hope they get the idea.

Me too, but as far as i see people already marked majority of them, so i decided to add links to well written articles and not making heavy thread with every single spotted issue by myself. Unless i will be asked to do that :p

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Feb 2023, 21:13 PMEuan
I really hope someone at Relic takes a serious look at why their 2D art is still in the alpha stage.

Agreed, game has potential, just need heavy polish in UI
2 Mar 2023, 18:59 PM

Awful. Agree with everything
5 Mar 2023, 14:41 PM

I posted my analysis on the official forums (extended with several more examples).

It seems to be getting a lot of response there.

https://community.companyofheroes.com/coh-franchise-home/company-of-heroes-3/forums/9-coh3-feedback/threads/3645-ui-and-icons-a-ux-analysis
5 Mar 2023, 16:30 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Mar 2023, 14:41 PMEuan
I posted my analysis on the official forums (extended with several more examples).

It seems to be getting a lot of response there.

https://community.companyofheroes.com/coh-franchise-home/company-of-heroes-3/forums/9-coh3-feedback/threads/3645-ui-and-icons-a-ux-analysis

Added to the post, thanks for info!

I've added my feedback on coh3 forum too, but seems like it's not so popular out there <444>_<444>
15 Mar 2023, 01:59 AM
15 Mar 2023, 03:44 AM
15 Mar 2023, 04:28 AM

Funny enough, most of these types of icons are basically 3D model loaded into any 3D software and rendered in full white, then in programs like Photoshop black outline is added ... and its done. No skills required what so ever. But its Relic.
15 Mar 2023, 08:48 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

It is so mind bogglingly dumb.

Hire a student for a couple of hours and have a real developer check them in the end. They'd be happy for a couple of dollars and Relic has one thing less that just screams 'the game is unfinished'.
15 Mar 2023, 15:47 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Referencing this reddit post - not mine but job well done
https://www.reddit.com/r/CompanyOfHeroes/comments/11rfvqr/it_took_me_less_than_an_hour_to_make_these_you/

That's good! Maybe some adjustments required (like all units usually looks to the right on shieldsymbols), but generally awesome

It is so mind bogglingly dumb.

Hire a student for a couple of hours and have a real developer check them in the end. They'd be happy for a couple of dollars and Relic has one thing less that just screams 'the game is unfinished'.

Funny enough, most of these types of icons are basically 3D model loaded into any 3D software and rendered in full white, then in programs like Photoshop black outline is added ... and its done. No skills required what so ever. But its Relic.

Considering CoH community has a lot of artists (including me), they definetly could do that, but we have what we have. Hope Relic working hard atm to make pack of UI assets for CoH 3 big enough to replace all CoH 2 assets and polish usage of CoH 3 assets. No speaking that UI in the game has some other issues not related to UI assets (mentioned in Euan's or mine threads on CoH 3 forum).
18 Mar 2023, 00:12 AM

Some things that are annoying:
- You can't press R to retreat if you are in a build menu for the infantry unit. I.e. if you have an engineer and you're in the build menu when you get attacked, pressing R will do nothing because it's not a shortcut within that menu (so your squad will be wiped). You have to exit that menu and then press R, which defeats the purpose of it being a quick way to save your unit.
- On subject of unhelpful / confusing re-used icons, why is the coh2 tank blitz icon used in coh3 for tanks to slow down and fire more accurately / quickly (DAK and others)? It's the exact opposite of what the icon signified in coh2.
- Completely agree re shading on abilities that are in use (e.g. air attack / mortar barrage). There's no change to show they're in use; there's only a visible change when they're in timed cool-down. Similarly, using that ability might mean other abilities can't be used concurrently, but there's no change to indicate this.
- Teamkilling is still in the game. Other players can destroy your base, and even worse, you can't even tell who it is because there's no identification of whose unit it is in MP.
- No option to have chat permanently on screen, as in coh2 (used to click player list then press ' ).

It basically feels like NONE of the QoL stuff people complained about in coh2 has been acted upon (no auto-reconnect; still teamkilling; no punishment for afk etc.), whereas you can't even surrender anymore, nor call out the player who is ruining it for everyone else. It feels as if Relic is trying to hide the fact it hasn't (can't?) made any improvements around managing player conduct by making everyone anonymous so no-one can accuse anyone else of anything, but the bad actor is free to do what they were doing before.
Watching the credits at the end of the campaign, it seems astounding that there were hundreds and hundreds of people working on this game, but few of the big coh2 complaints were acted upon.
19 Mar 2023, 03:17 AM

It would also be nice if units had different skins for desert or italian warfare - example Brits in Italy Campaign wear long sleeve, darker brown uniforms while the Brits in the DAK campaign wear uniforms used in desert warfare (also their tanks have different camos)
Wish every faction would have something like this in MP for flavour.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★