Login

russian armor

Is it manpower worth it to blob?

8 Jun 2022, 09:20 AM

I played 2 games yesterday with OKW: 1 I won easily and 1 I barely lost.

Here's what happened:
  • Since it was a 2v2 map (the one with the bridge in mid and top mid flanks are split by a river and fuel is on top i cannot remember the name) I decided to go for the traditional 3 volks to mg to leig etc etc.
  • Play good for the first 12 mins against my SOV opponent.
  • He decides to go double sniper. I got his first sniper very easy, but the second one bled me hard.
  • I lost to wipes 2 squads: an Sturpio and Volks. No probl. I got a sturmpio back (I paid 300mp but I didnot have a engi unit so it was the only thing I could do) and managed to get schwere truck in good time so I got an Ober squad.
  • Here's where I lost the game: in 24min mark, nobody of us went medium tank route. The matchup was 2Obers 1 Vet5 Volks against 3 Penas + 2 Shocks. He even brought in 82mm to bleed me. No snipers cause I killed them.

Obviously, I should have brought in more guys. But the question is, would that be economically viable for me? Let's say I stalled for a konigs (to justify have 240fuel unspent) and brought another 2 obers in the fight. Yes I would have won (since the other guy did not have mgs) BUT would I also be able to scrape up enough mp to get 720mp for Kongigstigger?

Explain your answeer.
8 Jun 2022, 14:04 PM

You were behind and needed the power spike a Pz IV ausf J would have given you. Stalling for KT was one of the worst moves you could have made. Shocks can do nothing against it. If the SOV goes PTRS penals then your men will walk all over them, free vet farm for Obers. Behind on squads as you were, 2 Obers was a logical setup and you presumably used the volks to soak up penal fire. But OTOH they will charge you and it doesn't sound like bundles/blendkorpers were used. You can gut a blob with those. 3+ Obers will just invite Katyusha wipes.

I don't see an MG in there either. Badly needed as outnumbered as you were. Yes the shocks can smoke it, but you can just move it back. If they get particularly brave then you can turn their smoke into a poison filled deathtrap, discouraging further MG smokes.

8 Jun 2022, 17:15 PM

Yea i know sadly whatever :(
8 Jun 2022, 18:07 PM

Why so many volks tho? Its an overkill 5 main line squads.

Considering sov had 3 penals + 2 shocktroops + mortar, his single mortar could have coased a lot of damage during engagements.

But in any rate 2 oberst + 5 volks (if they had StGs) should be able to win against his inf.

As for army, you could have got an MG34, aswell IGs near your Schwerer, since IGs is very strong on crossing.

You dont need P4J per say, if you feel that you was able to stale and you would be able to force enemy armor away, if they get one. If its 50\50 match up, without one side clearly dominating the other, P4J is a possibility. Especially against penals+shocks since soviet is lacking AT gun.

Stalling for KT (any heavy armor) only works when you are ahead of your enemy by quite a big margin.
8 Jun 2022, 21:46 PM

Why so many volks tho? Its an overkill 5 main line squads.

Considering sov had 3 penals + 2 shocktroops + mortar, his single mortar could have coased a lot of damage during engagements.

But in any rate 2 oberst + 5 volks (if they had StGs) should be able to win against his inf.

As for army, you could have got an MG34, aswell IGs near your Schwerer, since IGs is very strong on crossing.

You dont need P4J per say, if you feel that you was able to stale and you would be able to force enemy armor away, if they get one. If its 50\50 match up, without one side clearly dominating the other, P4J is a possibility. Especially against penals+shocks since soviet is lacking AT gun.

Stalling for KT (any heavy armor) only works when you are ahead of your enemy by quite a big margin.

no the matchup was 2 obers + 1 vetted Volks + mg34 against 3 penals + 2 shocks but i didnot bring more inf since i am against blob
9 Jun 2022, 06:39 AM

i personally dont prefer to blob volks. the manpower trade isnt worth it and expensive in the long run unless fighting some shitty infantry spam like conscripts and Rear echelons.

i go with 3 ober + 1 or 2 squads of volks. the volks as used as a meatshield and to prevent vehicle crushing.

Anyway the best meta right now is still Panzerfusillers spam and blob.
9 Jun 2022, 09:36 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Jun 2022, 06:39 AMy3ivan
i personally dont prefer to blob volks. the manpower trade isnt worth it and expensive in the long run unless fighting some shitty infantry spam like conscripts and Rear echelons.

i go with 3 ober + 1 or 2 squads of volks. the volks as used as a meatshield and to prevent vehicle crushing.

Anyway the best meta right now is still Panzerfusillers spam and blob.

i know i just decided to mess around with fortifications commander since it was crossing but ye i wont do it again promise
11 Jun 2022, 19:51 PM

If you're Axis yes. Allied players don't have any effective blob control (well none that isn't extremely easy to counter) nor do they have any effective long range infantry. and the long range accuracy of units like Grenadiers, JLI, or Panzerfusilers (just to name a few) gives them an overwhelming infantry advantage to press home. Currently the game favors long range infantry engagements due to the open maps, and durable 4-6 man Axis sqauds. CQB infantry are not nearly as effective as they require much more support from units like mortars and also more micro management to flank your attackers. The only thing required for long range infantry to be effective is sight range to prevent flanking and leaving them behind cover.
12 Jun 2022, 10:26 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Jun 2022, 19:51 PMCODGUY
If you're Axis yes. Allied players don't have any effective blob control (well none that isn't extremely easy to counter) nor do they have any effective long range infantry. and the long range accuracy of units like Grenadiers, JLI, or Panzerfusilers (just to name a few) gives them an overwhelming infantry advantage to press home. Currently the game favors long range infantry engagements due to the open maps, and durable 4-6 man Axis sqauds. CQB infantry are not nearly as effective as they require much more support from units like mortars and also more micro management to flank your attackers. The only thing required for long range infantry to be effective is sight range to prevent flanking and leaving them behind cover.

Allied? USF, yes. USF lacks stock blob control and long range infantry, but soviets are absolutely great at crowd control. 4-6 man axis squads? Ostruppen?
PFussies sure. They are downright OP currently, but grens are 4 man, spios 4 man, jaegers 4 man. Volks are 5 man but they drop in combat proficiency as the game progresses. Obers are 4man (although practically immune to small arms fire with vet).
Only thing that is <4 man is the major as far as I can tell. So the term "4-6 man" is kinda nonsensical. Pretty much everything is 4-6 man.

Brits and USF are much more reliant on commander choices in teamgames, than the soviets are... but still. You can't just claim that "Allied", as in Br,Us,So have none.
Heck, I do have a replay posted here of blobwars in Whiteball. How come I didn't lose or get wrecked by the fussy, ober... blobs. Oh right, teamplay.
Close range units are more micro intensive, sure, and the map pool for teamgames does not favor them. On some maps, just parts of the map are close range. Eg. Forest region in Lienne. Still, how the fu*k am I constantly in top 30 as USF, playing only random 3v3s, if USF is so weak. Am I some sort of a micro God? Hell, recently won a 3v3 against 3 top 10 players, with 2 USF allies. 3 USF vs 2 OKW 1 OST. I held the flank secured for the middle VP ally, he made 3 Jacksons (had 30k more dmg than the rest of us in the end) and just shot at anything and the 3rd guy held his and got helped by the mid guy. In all regards, that should have been a short quick "Are you sure you want to leave the game? Yes" Still, we won.
So? Was it an extreme effort of underdogs defeating much more OP axis forces or?... are your thoughts that allies are extremely UP misplaced?
Currently only KT spearhead and Fussies are units that I would claim are "OP". Fussies just having too much utility and firepower combined, and KT spearhead giving way too many bonuses for "free" (well turret lock is not a problem with the current map design), especially with the commander upgrade for 70+ sight. Even Tightrope called it "Extremely broken" in one 2v2 cast. Map design is shit as well in 3v3s, where a single MG42 can lock down an entire sector....

But to call Allies UP or Axis OP.... Nah. Axis are easier to play, but not OP nor UP. Allies are harder to pull off correctly, especially USF (Brits are sh*ttier faction, not gonna comment) but still not UP as you claim they are
12 Jun 2022, 17:44 PM

Snip

Agree with most of this. I personally hardly ever play with pfussies so I won't comment...

You play mostly USF and I play mostly Axis, with a sprinkling of USF... wife and daughter and running a business take my time and I wish I could play more of it but it simply isn't feasible.

Regardless, it's possible to have a balanced view with a preference for a faction, because completely shitting on the other factions leads absolutely no where.

Which is how a CODGUY is created. When you have more hyperbole than skill.
12 Jun 2022, 18:30 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jun 2022, 17:44 PMKoRneY

Agree with most of this. I personally hardly ever play with pfussies so I won't comment...

You play mostly USF and I play mostly Axis, with a sprinkling of USF... wife and daughter and running a business take my time and I wish I could play more of it but it simply isn't feasible.

Regardless, it's possible to have a balanced view with a preference for a faction, because completely shitting on the other factions leads absolutely no where.

Axis, Allies... it's a game. If everyone played allies, then who the fu*k would I play against? Heck I recently played with you on Steppes. I can understand that people can struggle with USF as it is a difficult commander oriented faction. Especially in teamgames. But to just say "everything UP, overpriced".... I mean... I'd expect such argument-lacking malarkey in kindergarten.
Would I rework some things in both axis and allies? Sure. But is the balance the best it's ever been? Also yes. Sure it lost some of it's pizzazz, with no more blatantly OP units leading to memes. Skippy tries hard to keep the carnage alive. Some prefer 1v1s, some prefer 2v2+; it's all perfectly fine. But all in all, the game is in the best state concerning balance, that it's ever been.
14 Jun 2022, 22:26 PM

Currently only KT spearhead and Fussies are units that I would claim are "OP". Fussies just having too much utility and firepower combined, and KT spearhead giving way too many bonuses for "free" (well turret lock is not a problem with the current map design), especially with the commander upgrade for 70+ sight. Even Tightrope called it "Extremely broken" in one 2v2 cast.

Panzerfusiliers should lose the flare ability and get something else in return. Jaeger Light Infantry should get the flare as they are a more recon oriented unit. Having Panzerfusiliers with Flare kind of defeats the purpose of JLI since Panzerfusiliers not only arrive sooner but scale better and have better recon.

King Tiger itself is not overpowered but the vision bonus of Spearhead gives it 50 Vision which defeats the weakness of the Turret Lock if it can see in a huge radius around it. It turns into a meme once you add Panzer Commander and you get +70 vision.

OKW has plenty of sight options built in, such as Vet 4 Volksgrenadiers, Kubel, Spotlight Halftrack, Puma, they don't need almost every single unit in their roster to have massive sight radius increases when other factions have significantly less options to choose from.

This is also the reason why you rarely see the Spotlight Halftrack in games. Why build it when you can get extended vision from numerous other units.

I personally hardly ever play with pfussies so I won't comment...

You admit to only playing USF/Axis yet you and your boyfriend Vipper always appear in most balance topics related to Allied Units. You should preach what you say and not comment on things that you have zero experience with. Axis or Allied fanboyism is toxic to the game and drives away newer players.

CODGUY does have some valid points though. I may not agree with the severity of it but it does take away from the experience of the game when it turns into Blob vs Blob combat instead of involving any form of real strategy or tactics. Also looking at his profile he does have more games than you and plays more factions which adds more credibility than someone who plays one faction only. Any person who plays a single faction, Allied or Axis should not post anything in regards to balance. Living in either bubble only leads to confirmation bias and lack of progress towards balance.

Anyway back to the original topic. If I was you I would have made either a Luch's or Panzer IV. Depending on the map I would have also went Fortification and set up S-mines/Made bunkers to limit my opponents movement due to him going with T1 opening. This means no mortar/AT gun which would force him to either backtech allowing you to have a bigger opening with your vehicle/s. Being able to dictate the flow/pace of the match is more important than getting out any additional infantry squads.

15 Jun 2022, 03:16 AM

You admit to only playing USF/Axis yet you and your boyfriend Vipper always appear in most balance topics related to Allied Units. You should preach what you say and not comment on things that you have zero experience with. Axis or Allied fanboyism is toxic to the game and drives away newer players.

I did preach, I said I won't comment on something I don't have much experience with. Being butthurt about getting called out for something doesn't change the fact that you're a living, mouth breathing example of doing something over 9,000 times and still being trash at it

17 Jun 2022, 14:21 PM

wife and daughter and running a business take my time and I wish I could play more of it but it simply isn't feasible.

mad respect for you coh2 can go fuck itself when it comes to real life i say that all the time
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★