Login

russian armor

Detailed Tooltips

1 Jun 2022, 00:39 AM

First let me just say that I have purchased and own every single game Relic has ever made since they were created.

In almost all of Relic's games they history of being extremely lazy with its tooltips within its games. One thing I would like to see in COH 3 are tooltips that actually provide USEFUL information.

Imagine playing a game such as Starcraft, Civilization/Stellaris etc and you get the option for an upgrade and the tooltip says "Makes Unit Better" which provides zero information to the player.

Here is what I would like to see in COH 3 using COH2 as a visual example.

It took me less than an hour to add detailed tooltips for USF for all unit veterancy and abilities. Most of that time was because I didn't have the information on hand to look at and hand to look in the modding tools to see what every single thing did.

So my question is, if a person like me can do it why is it so hard for a multi-million dollar company to add a tiny bit of polish into their games? Almost every single Relic game is missing this most basic feature and I would like to see this changed with COH 3 as Relic literally has no excuse for this other than laziness.

1 Jun 2022, 04:00 AM
Senior Editor Badge

Good points and feedback! I'm hoping for the same thing. I'd recommend putting this in their official forums, though. I'm sure that's where they're going see this sooner
1 Jun 2022, 09:11 AM

So my question is, if a person like me can do it why is it so hard for a multi-million dollar company to add a tiny bit of polish into their games? Almost every single Relic game is missing this most basic feature and I would like to see this changed with COH 3 as Relic literally has no excuse for this other than laziness.

You are talking about a company that thinks "mappable hotkeys" in 2022 is a big thing to brag about (check out AOE4 updates roadmap), so I think the answer is somewhere there.
1 Jun 2022, 18:57 PM
Patrion 310

You are talking about a company that thinks "mappable hotkeys" in 2022 is a big thing to brag about (check out AOE4 updates roadmap), so I think the answer is somewhere there.

Based on previous Relic interviews they want to improve player retention with future games.
This is a big deal regarding the success criteria of AoE4 and CoH3.

Remember, this was one of the primary reasons Relic/Sega gave up on DoW3. This is using their own words.
When asked about what measurements Relic was looking at regarding Dawn of War III's success, Boudreau stated "Retention and sentiment were the two biggest measures we were watching most closely."
https://www.gamewatcher.com/news/2018-08-02-why-dawn-of-war-iii-failed-according-to-relic

Relic AoE4 expectations vs reality;

Gamestar: Age of Empires 4 in the post-test: What happened to the savior of real-time strategy? | 20 May 22
https://forums.ageofempires.com/t/gamestar-age-of-empires-4-in-the-post-test-what-happened-to-the-savior-of-real-time-strategy/204317
https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/age-of-empires-4-nachtest-review-update,3380743.html

Steam chart comparison AoE4 vs AoE2;
From AoE4 launch to now;

Recent 6 month comparison;

https://steamcharts.com/cmp/1466860,813780#6m

Fortunately for CoH3/CoH2 fans, the game has no real competition so Relic can't kill CoH even if they wanted to :D

1 Jun 2022, 20:49 PM

"Improves weapon control while under fire" has always been my favorite tooltip when squads get a veterancy weapon cooldown bonus :D
2 Jun 2022, 00:05 AM

"Improves weapon control while under fire" has always been my favorite tooltip when squads get a veterancy weapon cooldown bonus :D

One of the best examples of Relics legendary descriptions

I always enjoyed the rear echelon tooltip. First skill listed is "Good for crewing team weapons"

It's not horribly misleading like the one you referenced, but still gives me a chuckle
2 Jun 2022, 05:43 AM

I guess the real question is should the tooltips be immersive or statistical?

Some people will want "This here gun shoots like a tornado!!!" and others would like "-15% Reload".

Some people worry about the accuracy of skins, something I have never bother to even look at. They would like immersion, I would like stats. Its 50/50.

EDIT:
In fact I would like to see items spawn like Quake 3's Quad Damage. What ever unit picks it up does 4x damage for 30 seconds.
3 Jun 2022, 11:39 AM

I guess the real question is should the tooltips be immersive or statistical?

Some people will want "This here gun shoots like a tornado!!!" and others would like "-15% Reload".

Some people worry about the accuracy of skins, something I have never bother to even look at. They would like immersion, I would like stats. Its 50/50.

EDIT:
In fact I would like to see items spawn like Quake 3's Quad Damage. What ever unit picks it up does 4x damage for 30 seconds.

mate it's literally impossible to know what you are doing without exact stats

-15% received damage is LIGHT YEARS away from -25% received damage in COH2 terms, yet both have the same description.
3 Jun 2022, 21:42 PM

We should have both immersive tooltips and statistical tooltips. Not hard to give a brief immersive tooltip (which is why Relic just writes some BS) followed by what is actually changed on the unit.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★