Login

russian armor

Looking for 3v3 Allies Strategies

27 May 2022, 12:24 PM

Thanks for all the good responses so far guys.

I have been doing penal start, and it is giving me great opening indeed.
But yesterday, I have had 2 games where we fail to seal the victory, losing at 50 points and 14 points left of opponent. They just keep spamming obersedens and penals just die so quickly it became a joke.. I didn't choose KV 8 so couldn't really effectively counter.
---
Do you guys have any suggestion to close out the late game? (~level 12+)

Other ppl have already answered most of your questions here so I'll just add some points - one needs to understand the enemy unit you're going up against. Then you can counter it properly.

Generally ppl replace penal losses with Guards, but even Guards have a tough task going up against Obers. They can beat them with vet I's "Firing Positions!" ability but vet II/III+ Obers have a 'terminator' reputation for a reason. Even 7 man cons typically just bleed you horrendously vs them.

There's no simple answer, because like a lot of COH2 - it really depends on what your opponent is doing, what their composition is and what the map area is like. At lvl 12 their vehicle-inf-arty 'triangle' (combined arms) coordination will be poor, so it's easier to exploit a weaker part of the 'triangle'. However, going heavy on one part of the 'triangle' will leave you also weaker in another and vulnerable. I see this all the time where ppl spam 4 TDs out and then the other person doesn't build any armor and those schreck inf units suddenly become a very serious problem...

Using your example: you should try to screen the JP4 off with LOS blockers or just force it back with PTRS penals/AT guns/TD of your own. Letting it get free shots on your T-34 is a slow death and JP4 scales very well with vet. People rag on about the maxim being useless, but if you can get a spotter for it, then it can suppress an ober blob before they get many shots off. You know they'll come for the VP, so their approach angles will be more predictable. Esp viable around the mid ranks, where ppl do have big blobs and are easy targets for the sustained fire ability.
27 May 2022, 12:30 PM

Penals get a -2mp reinforce cost bonus when t4 is built, so I wouldnt necessarily call 25mp "expensive to reinforce", but wiped penal squads in late game are indeed best to be replaced by 7men cons

While the number itself isn't expensive the overall package is. They have no way to build cover which most other mainlines can stock or doctrinally. Also they end up with a Target size of .77 which not bad but not great either. Against an Ober squad they will drop quickly while not doing proportional model drops, most will argue that To the last man should help but Obers do to much damage for their Vet1 ability to really help out.

Agree with the 7 man cons - they have better RA, can lay sandbags to further help against Obers, get a cooldown bonus while in cover while receiving exp buff to quickly get VET. Penals also get exp buff but late game your phasing them out so not really useful.
27 May 2022, 12:41 PM

Penals get a -2mp reinforce cost bonus when t4 is built, so I wouldnt necessarily call 25mp "expensive to reinforce", but wiped penal squads in late game are indeed best to be replaced by 7men cons

Yeah, they aren't AS expensive, but still not cheap... and are still 6 man, with a pretty high RA compared to others. And when the shell lands, it does not discriminate. I've often seen penals retreat with 2-3 models, meaning 3-4 have died, which is about 75 to 100 MP. So compared to, let's say Obers retreating with 1-2 models left. It's 80-120 MP, which is a negligible difference (a couple of seconds), whereas one is much stronger in the AI. Obers, of course being more susceptible to wipes due to the lower model count, which is countered by the fact that their model spread is good. Heck, even I, who only exclusively uses ground target against infantry (especially the Pershing), have trouble completely wiping obers.

Penals on the other hand, have a circular spread, which greatly influences their susceptibility to anything that goes BOOM.
27 May 2022, 18:09 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 May 2022, 05:09 AMJilet
2 TDs per allies player is almost a must in team games.

Dear alliedcucks,

remember this post when you come across Jagdpanther-KT-Ele spam in fuels/stars.
27 May 2022, 20:10 PM

Dear alliedcucks,

Laughs in double Fireflies.
28 May 2022, 11:44 AM

Dear alliedcucks,

Assuming they won't have double ATG/2 jagdpanzer or panther alongside the heavy TD
28 May 2022, 16:30 PM

UKF mobile assault: UC -> HMG or section -> recovery sapper -> section -> T2 -> mortar pit then AT or other way around depends on situation -> sniper (for extra salt) -> weapon rack unlock -> T3 -> cromwell or bren commandos if you feel like lacking of infantries to cap point -> land mastress -> firefly -> anything helps you secure your win lategame
This build prevent bleed early game to rush mortar pit and cromwell.
UC and sections will bleed enemy infantry fast in yellow cover, chase off kubel (IS weakness), while having recovery sapper early helps UC to be even more agressive as they get repaired fast and recovery sappers with their decent dps and snares, disencourage snare rush and light vehicle dive (keep your UC close to them at all time) they also protect IS from close range units (another IS weakness) and fight units in green cover (flamer upgrade), HMG is used to watch flank while your main forces fight on the frontline (i recommend using hmg only to cover flanks). In early game the UC probably gonna get shot more than your infantry so less MP bleed to rush a mortar pit or sniper (watch out for counter snipe), which help prevent even more bleed, then get an AT (duh) if you play your card right you can get a cromwell at 11 minute from this point you build whatever you find suitable but save popcap for a landmastress for point contest or long range harassment if you want a second landmastress, have your mortar pit recycled (assuming it is still alive at that point). This play is micro heavy in early game and using small amount of units to fight and any squad wipe or UC destroyed will leave huge impact on your lost as you already have little units to hold line so this depends on your skill and luck. Consider test this play on AI if you are not confident
29 May 2022, 08:44 AM

For team games one of you MUST pick a commander that can counter the LeFH. Unless the enemy has no artillery commanders selected. it sucks but the meta for team games at the moment has swung back towards artillery after a brief lull when counter-battery was removed.

Need at least one player with access to rocket arty: Katyusha, Mattress, Calliope etc. Otherwise the pzgrens and pzfussies will run rampant.

Generally I find muni caches are better than fuel caches unless you are behind in teching.

Some areas of certain maps aren't worth contesting at the beginning. If there is an OKW on the forest side of the lienne map then you will likely struggle vs the early game sturm pios there. Better to 3v2 the other parts of the map then swing back to the forest (or whatever area you avoided) a bit later when the enemy has likely just left a single mg to protect it.

Keep an eye out for enemy players with the 'Encirclement' commander on white/red ball maps. It's usually premades which equip it and if they pull it off well it can be a gg for you. If you see that player with camo'd/sprinting infantry or stormtroopers then there is a high chance they picked it. Mine up and build caches on the cut-offs they have to target. Also burn down any ambient buildings on your side of the map to prevent ST spawns.

Sorry that last point was random af but there you go....some randoms allies team games tips XD
31 May 2022, 17:20 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 May 2022, 20:10 PMJilet

Laughs in double Fireflies.

Konigstiger + Jagdpanther with HEAT shells says hi.
31 May 2022, 17:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 May 2022, 08:44 AMGrim
For team games one of you MUST pick a commander that can counter the LeFH. Unless the enemy has no artillery commanders selected. it sucks but the meta for team games at the moment has swung back towards artillery after a brief lull when counter-battery was removed.

Need at least one player with access to rocket arty: Katyusha, Mattress, Calliope etc. Otherwise the pzgrens and pzfussies will run rampant.

Generally I find muni caches are better than fuel caches unless you are behind in teching.

Some areas of certain maps aren't worth contesting at the beginning. If there is an OKW on the forest side of the lienne map then you will likely struggle vs the early game sturm pios there. Better to 3v2 the other parts of the map then swing back to the forest (or whatever area you avoided) a bit later when the enemy has likely just left a single mg to protect it.

Keep an eye out for enemy players with the 'Encirclement' commander on white/red ball maps. It's usually premades which equip it and if they pull it off well it can be a gg for you. If you see that player with camo'd/sprinting infantry or stormtroopers then there is a high chance they picked it. Mine up and build caches on the cut-offs they have to target. Also burn down any ambient buildings on your side of the map to prevent ST spawns.

Sorry that last point was random af but there you go....some randoms allies team games tips XD

Field Artillery like LefH is only a meta if the opponent is a known camper. Ofcourse a decent player must always have an Arti commander true, but he must also know when to use him.

Or, If I wanna push the envelope way too hard I build LefH and strike at the base healing building of my opponent. Very risky, but very rewarding also.
31 May 2022, 19:33 PM

Konigstiger + Jagdpanther with HEAT shells says hi.

And I add the 3rd Firefly.
1 Jun 2022, 09:00 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 May 2022, 19:33 PMJilet

And I add the 3rd Firefly.

You mean the third, second, first firefly.
1 Jun 2022, 18:45 PM

Soviet

- open map: 3x penal blob with 1 guard and ISU-152
- urban map: 3x penal blob with urban defense doc

- works on any map: 3x penal blob with 1 guard and 120mm mortars

USF
- open map: 3x pathfinders, always. Go for airborne doc here, not the recon support one
- urban map: those maps are tricky for USF, but standard riflemen play with zook rangers and calliope should work

I rather like rcon support a lot, works a lot like airborne commanded in being able to get the pakhowie while still going lieut although airborne depending can be a better decisions and gives usf even better adaptibility. The air strike on I&R can be super good against okw on there trucks especially catching one being built as i believe it can be used at starty might be vet locked
Buy paths vet fast. And the cluster bombs can be great in team games and its reasonably cheap and 2 drops on a lefh will destroy it with put being repaired and also super handy on support weps and catching a mass retreat on okws med truck

Just wish after calling the initial airborne and pak howie that you could call airborne by themselves
1 Jun 2022, 18:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jun 2022, 18:45 PMRocket

I rather like rcon support a lot, works a lot like airborne commanded in being able to get the pakhowie while still going lieut although airborne depending can be a better decisions and gives usf even better adaptibility. The air strike on I&R can be super good against okw on there trucks especially catching one being built as i believe it can be used at starty might be vet locked
Buy paths vet fast. And the cluster bombs can be great in team games and its reasonably cheap and 2 drops on a lefh will destroy it with put being repaired and also super handy on support weps and catching a mass retreat on okws med truck

Just wish after calling the initial airborne and pak howie that you could call airborne by themselves

Lieutenant and pakhowie drop? How do you stop the enemy tank rush then?

2nd big problem is the cooldown of the I&R pathfinder callin. It's way too long for being able to do a pure pathfinder build at the start. I&R pathfinder also have trouble finding the perfect engagements I feel like. 1 sniper rifle isnt enough vs german LMG blobs and they are too squishy for closerange combat fights.

3rd big problem: with recon support you are completely munitions starved. Everything costs an obnoxious amount of ammo, something which you cant afford as USF imo. With airborne you paradrop 1 or 2 50cals and thats it, which costs a total of 50-100 ammo.

The Butterfly bombs are nice but they don't rly help much against stuff like KT + JP4 or brummbars and elefant, the usual units why allies lose. I prefer to have anti tank skillplanes.

M8 Greyhound is nice in 1v1, mediocre in 2v2 and meme in 3v3/4v4.

TL;DR

In teamgames, recon support doctrine is the handicapped version of airborne doc
1 Jun 2022, 19:01 PM

Lieutenant and pakhowie drop? How do you stop the enemy tank rush then?

2nd big problem is the cooldown of the I&R pathfinder callin. It's way too long for being able to do a pure pathfinder build at the start

I usually still go captain regardless to me .50cal just isnt that usefull at the time it comes to easily death sniped. I make rifle then paths then mortar captain and unlock weps and put a bar and zook on capt then 57mm if needed depending wether my teamate made an at gun, then call in pak and airborne crew it with RE upgrade 1919 on paras then rush to jackson. And add as many bars as i can to rifle and path squad, then second para with pak if captain gets wiped
1 Jun 2022, 19:07 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jun 2022, 19:01 PMRocket

I usually still go captain regardless to me .50cal just isnt that usefull at the time it comes to easily death sniped. I make rifle then paths then mortar captain and unlock weps and put a bar and zook on capt then 57mm if needed depending wether my teamate made an at gun, then call in pak and airborne crew it with RE upgrade 1919 on paras then rush to jackson. And add as many bars as i can to rifle and path squad, then second para with pak if captain gets wiped

I updated my post above with more major problems of the doctrine.

1 rifle 1 path and mortar is very bad manstopping power. If the enemy just spams inf and blobs early you're kinda screwed tbh. Also both the riflemen and the I&R paths kinda blow on longrange maps sadly.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★