Login

russian armor

Looking for 3v3 Allies Strategies

24 May 2022, 16:58 PM

Hi guys,

Just wanted to know what strong allies strategies you guys are using?
I am the Soviet player, and have a mate who often uses USF.

Also, looking for a 3rd player that wants to play with us regularly as UKF.

Thanks.
24 May 2022, 19:17 PM

Hi guys,

Soviet

- open map: 3x penal blob with 1 guard and ISU-152
- urban map: 3x penal blob with urban defense doc

- works on any map: 3x penal blob with 1 guard and 120mm mortars

USF
- open map: 3x pathfinders, always. Go for airborne doc here, not the recon support one
- urban map: those maps are tricky for USF, but standard riflemen play with zook rangers and calliope should work
25 May 2022, 05:17 AM

Soviet

- open map: 3x penal blob with 1 guard and ISU-152
- urban map: 3x penal blob with urban defense doc

- works on any map: 3x penal blob with 1 guard and 120mm mortars

USF
- open map: 3x pathfinders, always. Go for airborne doc here, not the recon support one
- urban map: those maps are tricky for USF, but standard riflemen play with zook rangers and calliope should work

Thanks, but I am slightly concerned about the lack of AT gun. I know penals have AT upgrade, but AT gun is more effective if they are kitting.
I usually go T2 for maxims/AT and motar if against wehr.

If you go t1, would you get a conscript as first unit? Or would you sacrifice the timings/ early map control for penals straight up?
25 May 2022, 08:05 AM

Hi guys,

Thanks.

On general: veto general mud, steppes, oka river winter, redball express (or any map you find yourself consistently losing in)

as sov: play the ISU doctrines (mechanized support) on lane maps (Rzhev winter, middle VP on across the Rhine, whiteball express, hill 400). On urban maps (Ettelbruck station, angermunde, essen steelworks, the city in lienne forest), pick up the IS-2 or KV-2 doctrines, their turret and mobility are an advantage over the elefant/ISU-152. Combined arms armies is the only soviet doctrine with an offmap + recon sweep, but each LEFH kill costs 260 munitions and gives little utility for other duties. Lend lease/industry is alright, powerful on safe fuel maps (also gives a lot of muni, allows for almost unlimited mining + ability usage). Any doctrine with radio intercept is naturally strong, ATO is situationally good but can be played without, avoid doctrines that don't give anything useful (i.e. conscript support, reserve armies, etc). Build order is essentially strat reliant: conscript -> tier 2 -> conscript, then mortar or MG, or tier 1 into penal battalions and m3a1

Important: leig 18 and mortar spam abusers are extremely frequent, any doctrine with 120mm mortars is exceptionally good at countering them, katyushas too are extremely good to take these bastards out

For UKF: cheese with AVRE, advanced weapons regiment lets you destroy LEFHs and gives you "hold the line". HDL is insanely powerful and lets you stop offensives dead in their tracks (but you must not let them capture points while it lasts). Don't bother with emplacements on most maps. on maps like ettelbruck go lend lease regiment. build path is anything: infantry sections into tier 1, recovery engineers or assault sections that you put in the UC, and then go giga aggressive. ALWAYS go hammer, anvil is objectively inferior

Strategies: Soviets will focus on artillery and/or heavy tanks, while UKF will always strive to go for comets (and Crocodile/AVRE according to doctrine options), the latter just spams abilities like HDL, the former decimates the enemy backline with katy or even ML/B-4. UKF can no longer share weapons with sov, but can still abuse the command vehicle aura's giga powerful buffs that it gives to itself.
25 May 2022, 13:42 PM

Thanks, but I am slightly concerned about the lack of AT gun. I know penals have AT upgrade, but AT gun is more effective if they are kitting.
I usually go T2 for maxims/AT and motar if against wehr.

If you go t1, would you get a conscript as first unit? Or would you sacrifice the timings/ early map control for penals straight up?

No conscript squad needed imo.

A guard with the dps1928 button ability usually will do just fine as AT until the T34 or SU85 is here. If you have a scout car and put the guards inside it, that's even better. If you're behind on fuel and enemy rushes a p4 or Ostwind, just get one cheap SU-76

And with urban defense doc you have the mini AT gun which is really good nowadays. 2 of them are very mobile and can deal with any tank from the front except (super)heavies

I would recommend to not get the PTRS upgrade on penals ever. Or 1 upgrade per match maximum if you picked a doc without guards or mini AT gun. It nukes their anti inf completely, which is their whole selling point with their massive accuracy bonuses at vet 2 and 3, higher dps bonus than any other squad in the game
25 May 2022, 17:03 PM

No conscript squad needed imo.

Do u build t1 with ur starting engy? Or do u send him forward to cap and build 2nd engy for tech building?

Cuz I like to build 3 penals too, but i am afraid of being behind on territory if I dont build any units until t1 is finished. Is that a fair concern or am i wrong? Cuz i often build 1 con while t1 is going up
25 May 2022, 17:24 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Do u build t1 with ur starting engy? Or do u send him forward to cap and build 2nd engy for tech building?

Cuz I like to build 3 penals too, but i am afraid of being behind on territory if I dont build any units until t1 is finished. Is that a fair concern or am i wrong? Cuz i often build 1 con while t1 is going up

What you can do is to quere in a second engineer and send the first one out to cap. The second one builds T1. Once the building is finished, you pretty much hit 270 MP again for the first Penal.
The second engineer also helps with map control for capping.
25 May 2022, 18:35 PM

Hi guys,

Thanks.

Imo successful 3vs3 has to do with working with your teammates and providing things they do not have access to.

Play with:
a Soviet teammate, one could go T1 the other T2 or conscripts
a USF teammate, you could support him with maxims
a UKF teammate, you could support him with mortars

and so on.
25 May 2022, 18:41 PM

Normally only 1 engineer at the start. I build the t1 with 2nd engineer only if there is an overpowered house that Ostheer might rush with pio and MG42, which your first engineer needs to rush. Vs OKW this is pointless because 1) the engineer would lose vs sturms anyway and 2) if OKW gets a house, you still can take good engagements with green cover penals (which you can't vs MG42), and in a few minutes he has to run away vs the clown car anyway.

Territory capture shouldn't be a concern in 2v2-4v4 usually, there isn't that many points to cap

jump backJump back to quoted post25 May 2022, 18:35 PMVipper

Imo successful 3vs3 has to do with working with your teammates and providing things they do not have access to.

this definitely not, lol. The best way to win a 3v3 (and 2v2) -the modes where everyone plays "his own" 1v1 basically- , is to have an army that is as robust and versatile as possible and ignoring what your random teammates are doing for the most part. You carry a game by smashing your opponent and then help the other sides afterwards, but doing these scuffed support type of builds is the best way to lose the match horribly.
25 May 2022, 19:23 PM

this definitely not, lol. The best way to win a 3v3 (and 2v2) -the modes where everyone plays "his own" 1v1 basically- , is to have an army that is as robust and versatile as possible and ignoring what your random teammates are doing for the most part. You carry a game by smashing your opponent and then help the other sides afterwards, but doing these scuffed support type of builds is the best way to lose the match horribly.

and then you get doubled by a premade team and lose...
26 May 2022, 05:09 AM

2 TDs per allies player is almost a must in team games.

Also, a funny strategy with UKF is to have everyone pick Mobile Assault and get x2 Firefly and x2 land matress per team member. Whenever axis tries to cap a VP, use land matress to saturate the area for eternity.
26 May 2022, 20:49 PM

Normally only 1 engineer at the start. I build the t1 with 2nd engineer only if there is an overpowered house that Ostheer might rush with pio and MG42, which your first engineer needs to rush. Vs OKW this is pointless because 1) the engineer would lose vs sturms anyway and 2) if OKW gets a house, you still can take good engagements with green cover penals (which you can't vs MG42), and in a few minutes he has to run away vs the clown car anyway.

Territory capture shouldn't be a concern in 2v2-4v4 usually, there isn't that many points to cap

Thx for the advice, but what about 1 con and engy against OKW? Still better to avoid another HQ unit and just build t1? I find i have a chance of catching the sturms 2v1 with the con and engy, but can be risky if volks or kubel is already there too

What you can do is to quere in a second engineer and send the first one out to cap. The second one builds T1. Once the building is finished, you pretty much hit 270 MP again for the first Penal.
The second engineer also helps with map control for capping.

Thx, yeah i have seen some higher level players do this so i really should give it a try

Not super important but i think penals are 290? 270 i think was the price when they had flamer upgrade and worse rifles
26 May 2022, 21:04 PM

Thx for the advice, but what about 1 con and engy against OKW? Still better to avoid another HQ unit and just build t1? I find i have a chance of catching the sturms 2v1 with the con and engy, but can be risky if volks or kubel is already there too

You will find that a sturm can wreck a con + engineer if handled poorly.

26 May 2022, 21:48 PM

You will find that a sturm can wreck a con + engineer if handled poorly.

Cant u say that about most units? Anything handled poorly can be a massive flop lol

Not to mention the fuels on winnekendonk is like one of the best points in the game for sturms to rush. We've all had our fun in that engagement lol
26 May 2022, 21:49 PM

Not super important but i think penals are 290? 270 i think was the price when they had flamer upgrade and worse rifles

Yes, they are 290. In 1v1 it is probably better to get the 2nd engineer to build T1 while 1st caps but if you are playing 3v3 with friends I would suggest building T1, Penal then scout car. You should have enough gas and MP to build the car right when Penal finishes. The other thing is MG spam can shut T1 down pretty easily. IF you see no grens clown car can do good however snipers are more consistent but Micro-intensive
27 May 2022, 00:39 AM

Cant u say that about most units? Anything handled poorly can be a massive flop lol

Not to mention the fuels on winnekendonk is like one of the best points in the game for sturms to rush. We've all had our fun in that engagement lol

Sort of no, in the context of 2v1ing anyway. Coordinated together, the con + engie can beat a sturm, but if the sturms get the drop...either way it's a dangerous proposition. Can't say I blame ppl for Penal openers, even if that leaves them very very vulnerable lategame.

Winnekendonk is a strange map but yes the fuels are very CQC.
27 May 2022, 07:23 AM

Sort of no, in the context of 2v1ing anyway. Coordinated together, the con + engie can beat a sturm, but if the sturms get the drop...either way it's a dangerous proposition. Can't say I blame ppl for Penal openers, even if that leaves them very very vulnerable lategame.

Winnekendonk is a strange map but yes the fuels are very CQC.

Thanks for all the good responses so far guys.

I have been doing penal start, and it is giving me great opening indeed.
But yesterday, I have had 2 games where we fail to seal the victory, losing at 50 points and 14 points left of opponent. They just keep spamming obersedens and penals just die so quickly it became a joke.. I didn't choose KV 8 so couldn't really effectively counter.

I tried initially using t34 to crush and did work but then he adopted by mixing a volks so that it can faust, while his TD would destroy the t34 if it stays too long.

I tried Katusha also, but it only fires every so often and it is easy to miss since obersedens don't need to stay put to shoot.

Do you guys have any suggestion to close out the late game? (~level 12+)
27 May 2022, 10:58 AM

Thanks for all the good responses so far guys.

I have been doing penal start, and it is giving me great opening indeed.
But yesterday, I have had 2 games where we fail to seal the victory, losing at 50 points and 14 points left of opponent. They just keep spamming obersedens and penals just die so quickly it became a joke.. I didn't choose KV 8 so couldn't really effectively counter.

I tried initially using t34 to crush and did work but then he adopted by mixing a volks so that it can faust, while his TD would destroy the t34 if it stays too long.

I tried Katusha also, but it only fires every so often and it is easy to miss since obersedens don't need to stay put to shoot.

Do you guys have any suggestion to close out the late game? (~level 12+)

That is by design were Penals are meant to drop off. They have great stats and VET but since they don't have utility or weapon upgrade they fall off late game. If your Penal squad gets wiped late game it is better to replace with conscript squad so you can lay down a few sandbags and merge in with your Penals.
Also you should be spamming mines as much as possible if Obers lose a model or 2, the opponent will be quick to retreat.

To give better advice or pointers you should post a game. Also what commanders have you been using?
27 May 2022, 11:16 AM

Yeah. Obers, Pgrens, Falls are best fought with something that goes "BOOM". You can use some doctrinal options like paratroopers and prone guards, but it's still not as clear cut.

Katyusha is against blobs. If the enemy blobs 2+ obers and other infantry, use the shotgun katyusha -> drive up closer and let it rip. Once the enemy retreats, stop the barrage so it goes on CD sooner.

One T34 for the possible RAM and some AT/AI.
One katyusha for blobs
One SU85 for AT
Maybe 2nd katyusha if the enemy is really investing into infantry and team weapons.
Rest is conscripts or penals. You generally don't want penals in the late game. Expensive to reinforce and not really tough when it comes to survivability. Whatever you have left of penals in the lategame, use them behind cover to guard points, don't assault with them.

Late game 7 man cons are your bread and butter:
A) Enemy behind cover? Molly will keep them out of cover
B) HOORAH
C) Really fast AT snare animation
D) Good survivability
E) Lots of yellow cover so they get nifty bonuses
27 May 2022, 12:03 PM

Expensive to reinforce

Penals get a -2mp reinforce cost bonus when t4 is built, so I wouldnt necessarily call 25mp "expensive to reinforce", but wiped penal squads in late game are indeed best to be replaced by 7men cons
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

United States 3
United Kingdom 166
unknown 8

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak