Login

russian armor

Do you like the command panzer?

28 Jan 2022, 15:40 PM

It deals really good damage to infantry and can hunt light vehicles and has good utility

Yet when i watch streamers pick a doctrine with it, they never build it.

Why is that?
28 Jan 2022, 15:44 PM

it takes a long time to vet up. what is the reason for that?

i think streamers rather get a p4 in 1v1, or even 2v2 against soviets.
28 Jan 2022, 17:56 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

When entering mid game, you need the P4 to keep up the pressure and fight off the Allied medium. The Command P4 has a too glaring weakness in AT to be used as the first vehicle.
Later on, Ostheer can transition into a very efficient T4 build. In smaller modes the unit forces you to concentrate into a small area while the mode rewards flanking and spreading out.

In larger modes, I find the unit to be okay. But this was still before they switched a lot of abilities within commanders, can't remember using it in the "new" commander lineup.

One issue I had was that it was always a bit hard to fit into your build population wise. Yes, it helps infantry as well, but one issue might be that first you don't really see it so you don't realize, and second the bonusses to vehicles are effectively much larger than for infantry. Given that you have 40-50 POP for vehicles and the Command P4 takes 12, you have roughly ~33 left. Since you just built a unit for pure AI use, you'd need to follow up with a Panther (-18 POP, 15 left). Giving you one other vehicle of your choice. The most effective way in that regard is to spam mediums, which is not the most effective way to play larger modes.

The utility buffs back then were quite nice. I think it is still a bit hard to fit into builds, especially since it always needs quite some micro to be on the front line, but safe from enemy tanks as well as always needing to target enemy infantry.
29 Jan 2022, 09:45 AM
Senior Caster Badge

I have tested it recently and i just felt the real impact missing, unless you play vs loads of indirect fire, like mortar pit and katys, it felt underwhelming, in terms of usefulness throughout the longer game
29 Jan 2022, 10:00 AM

For some strange reason it has higher XP value than the normal panzer and the same pop. Both value could be adapted to better fit the specific/s unit cost and role.

Vet bonus should also reflect the role of the unit.

The unit could also get a bonus in accuracy so it can at least hit light tank since it has low damage and penetration.
29 Jan 2022, 13:50 PM

So what's the latest damage reduction % value applied to friendly units? 10% or 20%?
29 Jan 2022, 13:55 PM

So what's the latest damage reduction % value applied to friendly units? 10% or 20%?

10%
29 Jan 2022, 13:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jan 2022, 13:55 PMVipper

10%

Thanks I found an old thread from 2019 claiming it's still actually 20%. Has that been fixed?
29 Jan 2022, 13:59 PM

Thanks I found an old thread from 2019 claiming it's still actually 20%. Has that been fixed?

September 2019 Balance Update - September 10th 2019
Command Panzer IV

The Command Panzer IV will now require either tier 3 or tier 4 in order to be called in. Additionally there will be some changes to its performance.

CP requirement from 9 to 7; now requires either Support Armor Korps or Heavy Panzer Korps built in order to be deployed.
Fuel cost from 125 to 100
Aura damage reduction modifier from 0.8 to 0.9, as previously intended.
29 Jan 2022, 14:11 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jan 2022, 13:59 PMVipper

September 2019 Balance Update - September 10th 2019
Command Panzer IV

The Command Panzer IV will now require either tier 3 or tier 4 in order to be called in. Additionally there will be some changes to its performance.

CP requirement from 9 to 7; now requires either Support Armor Korps or Heavy Panzer Korps built in order to be deployed.
Fuel cost from 125 to 100
Aura damage reduction modifier from 0.8 to 0.9, as previously intended.

Thanks!
29 Jan 2022, 14:14 PM

Thanks!

Glad that I could help.
2 Feb 2022, 00:38 AM

It should have greater AOE/Damage against infantry, maybe have a HEAT shell with increased pen ability for a couple seconds to get off one shot for AT that costs 40 muni or something.
The smoke shell fires too slow and it gets caught on things in the way occasionally (something I've not seen happen with other tank smoke shells).

Is the game being updated anymore with unit changes?
2 Feb 2022, 11:55 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Feb 2022, 00:38 AMReverb
It should have greater AOE/Damage against infantry, maybe have a HEAT shell with increased pen ability for a couple seconds to get off one shot for AT that costs 40 muni or something.
The smoke shell fires too slow and it gets caught on things in the way occasionally (something I've not seen happen with other tank smoke shells).

Is the game being updated anymore with unit changes?

lets give the command panzer laser rangefinder and the L/55 smoothbore gun of the leopard 2A6 as well, 30 rounds a minute and AoE of three 152mm guns at once

+ the smoke behaves as with other (ukf) smoke shells do
2 Feb 2022, 14:23 PM

In 4v4 games with fortified armor doctrine.

Set the command P4 up so it covers the fuel (or a VP). Then put it in hull down.

Extra range to keep enemy infantry off the point and the reduced received damage gets your mortar(s) or Pwerfer enough time to kill enemy AT-guns.
3 Feb 2022, 12:35 PM

Command Panzer is the pinnacle of a situational vehicle.

99% of the time I picked the doctrine I will not pick it, since I play with decent players who do not spam anything and having extra AI abilities with them would be useless and put me in a disadvantageous position.

That said, when I play against some UKF IS spamming moron ofcourse I will employ it to negate the effects of the terrible mortar spamming and also to push through and kill any and all emplacements.

The received damage accuracy in that case is life saving.
4 Feb 2022, 11:59 AM

In 4v4 games with fortified armor doctrine.

Set the command P4 up so it covers the fuel (or a VP). Then put it in hull down.

Extra range to keep enemy infantry off the point and the reduced received damage gets your mortar(s) or Pwerfer enough time to kill enemy AT-guns.

It is like he said. Command PzIV is really strong in 4vs4 in Fortified doctrine. While the 10% damage reduction let sustain your Panther one hit more while mobile it can take two more 160 damage hits because of command P4 damage reduction if hulled down.

Panther: 6 penetrating hits
Panther within command PzIV aura: 7 penetrating hits
Panther hulled down: 8 penetrating hits
Panther hulled down and within command PzIV aura: 10 penetrating hits

62,5 range + 260 armor + the equivalent of something more than 1440hp. This is total madness.
If targeted by artillery/offmap you can quickly reposition because there is no delay when going out of hull down. In addition you have Panzer Tactican and the high speed of Panther if you are in need to draw back. You can't have a unit with more survivability.

4 Feb 2022, 12:13 PM

It is like he said. Command PzIV is really strong in 4vs4 in Fortified doctrine. While the 10% damage reduction let sustain your Panther one hit more while mobile it can take two more 160 damage hits because of command P4 damage reduction if hulled down.

62,5 range + 260 armor + the equivalent of something more than 1440hp. This is total madness.
If targeted by artillery/offmap you can quickly reposition because there is no delay when going out of hull down. In addition you have Panzer Tactican and the high speed of Panther if you are in need to draw back. You can't have a unit with more survivability.

You just gave me an idea for my next OST game cheers mate have a good weekend take care.
4 Feb 2022, 12:36 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Small correction though, Panther can survive "only" 9 penetrating hits with all bonuses combined. Strong thing though is that you don't need the Command P4 close by all the time. You could wait until your Panther has eaten 7 shots, then drive it close and jump up to 9 shots.
The only drawback is that this build takes quite a while to get going. You basically need the Panther, Command P4 and at least a PWerfer for fencing off ATGs, better yet a Brummbar. Potentially you need to build a normal P4 for the mid game, which would put the game at the 30 min mark until you have everything together. On the positive side, you can create the build from a standard, unspecialized Ostheer one by just adding a Command P4 once the normal P4 dies.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★