Login

russian armor

Capping mechanism

15 Jul 2021, 15:12 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jul 2021, 08:01 AMGiaA

3. Both systems offer depth in their own way. You exclude the advantages of the CoH2 system and emphasize the advantages of the CoH1 system. CoH2 allows for direct counterplay to stop a crucial cap which is absolutely huge. In CoH1 you can't stop a cap unless you pin or kill the unit. So at the centre vp the late game basically becomes you cap -> I cap -> you cap -> I cap ad infinitum. In CoH2 you actually need to decisively win the engagement before you can cap which shifts the focus away from the "throw shit into the meatgrinder trying to neutralize the mid vp" type of late game.

Both games have their own playstyle, uses and abuses towards the capping execution.

We shouldn't lie to ourselves if we say 4379827 different capping speeds for units (Coh1) or a lot cheap combat engineer squads capping in front of an Ace to cheese out the last VP (Coh2) is the greatest thing ever.

But when it comes to gameplay possibilities and the diversified actions around it, i must say the COh2 system offers so many more layers around it.

In coh2 the meatgrinder exists in a different way, but stopping someone or something from capping in the last second by just walking into the circle is always a huge win.

What did coh1 offer there? Full blown Arty strikes or vehicle pushes. The same things i've seen in Coh2...

But then there a lot more tools that we had in coh1.
Think about what happens if you smoke the whole VP area for example. How the gameplay suddenly changes in what you have to do to stop the enemy from capping?

If there is a tankwreck, the LOS that screws your mg placement up since he can decapping on the dead angle is suddenly possible.

You jave to be precise about where to put down your fllame mortar shells...

Or You notice that there is a point about to be decapped but you don't see anyone there... find the corner of the spec op squads or eat a grenade.

15 Jul 2021, 15:28 PM

My initial post wasn't about implementing full and exact replicate of Coh1 or Coh2 capping mechanism.
This fight over which one is the best make little sense since Coh1 has been design with no previous (except Dow1) experience while coh2 had the first iteration as base for its design.

The question isn't about if we prefer coh1 pushing cheesy strat or coh2 throwing all you have on the circle to forbids a cap but what would be the best base for design and improvement where if you take Coh1 mechanism you eliminate the pushing and all known cheese or coh2 mechanism and you eliminate associated cheese or wrong game play output such as capping and building sandbag at the same time.

I haven't play the campaign on the pre-alfa, just did several skirmish battles and I didn't see the possibility to wire stuff or build sandbag. Is it because it is not yet implemented or because they decided to get ride of those specific mechanisms, I don't know but I think the topic is interesting and i'd like to have a answer from Dev just to know, not even to complain or anything.
15 Jul 2021, 15:30 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jul 2021, 14:47 PMPip

"Noob friendly" is genuinely something you can ascribe to a multiplayer game. I'd say that a game with a low skill ceiling is pretty "noob friendly". The skill floor is somewhat less important, actually.

If the game can be played optimally with little effort then terrible players and good players are basically indistinguishable, which is definitely what i'd call "noob friendly".

Arent the descriptions you're giving of capping CoH1 and 2 the reverse of what you're stating? Surely your unit having to put itself at extreme risk to capture a point (by entering an animation/becoming vulnerable/unable to retaliate to attack) makes clearing an area vital before capping can occur?

1. I originally had a paragraph about skill ceiling in the post but deleted it because it felt off topic and you're right ofc in that it is the one way in which a multiplayer game can be noob friendly. Throwing dice is as noob friendly as it gets because there is neither skill floor nor skill ceiling. But this is irrelevant here because no one has come even remotely close to reaching the skill ceiling in any CoH game. And even if you assume that someone will eventually reach it you have absolutely 0 evidence that CoH1 has a higher skill ceiling because we have no idea how either game would play at such a level.

2. No. In CoH2 you can't cap as long as the opponent is present. In CoH1 you can cap while all the fighting going on.

15 Jul 2021, 17:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jul 2021, 15:30 PMGiaA

2. No. In CoH2 you can't cap as long as the opponent is present. In CoH1 you can cap while all the fighting going on.

You cap but the unit does nothing else. if the combat is even, that's a decision making to reduce your firing power to cap which could lead to a defeat as much as a victory.
15 Jul 2021, 22:26 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jul 2021, 08:01 AMGiaA

1. As a general point: CoH2 top level skill has exceeded old school CoH1. Today's top CoH2 players > Symbiosis, Aimstrong, Aljaz, Sepha etc. It used to be the other way around until around 2016 but the "CoH2 is for scrubs" meme is outdated in 2021 I'm sorry.

2. A multiplayer game can't really be noob friendly by design. A game is noob friendly if the playerbase is bad at it. If a game is "easy", it's "easy" for both sides. Difficulty is 100% dependant on your opponent.

Yea, definitely agree to disagree here dude. COH2 has so many stupid "get of of jail free" buttons it's not even funny. In COH1 you just lost.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★