Login

russian armor

Elite Mod COH - Download and Changelog

PAGES (29)down
20 Nov 2013, 19:06 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Nov 2013, 18:54 PMPepsi
I know right, just some fantazy.

But having the officer in HQ at T3 while in T3 building should be a change. Right now, getting a officer is counterproductive.

We can still divide the officer production time, and let him in it's T3, but it will still be counterproductive and puma/stug spamm oriented with maybe some fast vets.

What if I'd like to hold on my T2 gren spamm but spamm gren faster ? What if I just want the officer to get T4 tanks faster ? What if I jsut want my vet faster ? => officer in HQ at T3

Hmm that's actually not a bad idea.
20 Nov 2013, 19:25 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Nov 2013, 18:38 PMInverse
The problem with making significant changes to the Officer is you're going from extremely minor balance tweaks and bug fixes to extremely game-changing and potentially game-breaking modifications. If I understood correctly, the purpose of this mod is to fix those minor issues that Relic either screwed up (incorrect stats, data entry mistakes, etc.) or were unwilling to fix (misfire bug).

Tommy: "- To add tactical options and enhance depth by making previously unattractive options more useful, and dialing back 'overpowered' units and tactics."

So Tommy's actually considering some game-changing tweaks, however, before he implements any of them, he'd like to fix all the bugs and make the obvious minor balance tweaks. I also wouldn't claim that 2.602 is "that well-balance." Sure, it's very well-balanced around certain strategies, but there are quite a few strategies/teching paths that are under-powered and, consequently, underused. It would add quite a bit of variety to the game if said strategies were buffed.
20 Nov 2013, 19:40 PM

Why's there so little people on the mod goddarnit.
20 Nov 2013, 19:52 PM

If you gave the officer back his ability to supervise points he'd be a viable unit, since the 50muni force retreat is useful and so is his artillery at T4.

Also urrbody add me on steam if you want to play this sometime: thedanieldowney

Does automatch work/are people ever in it?
20 Nov 2013, 21:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Nov 2013, 18:54 PMPepsi

But having the officer in HQ at T3 while in T3 building should be a change. Right now, getting a officer is counterproductive.
I really like this idea. I would implement this and see how big impact on a game this will have. Then maybe tweak him further.

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Nov 2013, 17:40 PMKolaris
I feel the Officer was designed around being able to Supervise points and act as an OP, and he's been lost and confused since that was removed.
I think this would be good route to go with officer after change proposed by Pepsi (if needed).

I also think that detect range buff on jeeps/bikes and sapers is something worth considering.

You can add me on steam to try this mod. I'm not the best player in the world but hell, bring it on (nick is the same).
20 Nov 2013, 22:29 PM

Interesting ideas all around.

However, I'll just reiterate/clarify a couple of things:

- Yes, the game as it stands (2.602/Steam) is pretty darn good. The balance is great. The core game design is brilliant. However, some strategies remain the 'go-to' while others fall by the wayside and are consistently rendered useless. I'm not talking about niche units, I'm talking about downright unused ones, that really have little purpose. The officer is one of them. The M3 is another. The croc is another. And so on. In a perfect world, EVERY unit would have a purpose. Not every game, and not in every situation, but it would be useful in at least some way. That's what I want to do with this mod.

- Secondly, and crucially, I'm going to be as clinical as possible in my approach to changes. The first, and biggest issue to tackle, is that of snipers. So until snipers are working just the way I/we want (and for that, I need people to report playing experiences ^^), that's going to be the primary focus of change. After that, I will draw a line under snipers and focus on something else. Of course, changes to X unit and mean a change in Y unit, so further small adjustments may need to be made to, for example, snipers, even after we've officially branded them 'fixed'.

- Also, this isn't something I really touched on in my OP because I didn't really expect much interest. I suggest that for getting games, people use the TFN Steam Chatroom as the un/official way of organising games, as right now it's not being used for anything else. Find it here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tfncasts

And please do go out and play it! Because as soon as the vCoH changelog is more or less complete (shouldn't take too long, the sniper thing is the 'big' thing with the highest possibility of destabilizing the game and we're getting that out the way first) I can start hosting tournaments and grudge matches and all sorts of fun stuff.
21 Nov 2013, 01:16 AM

Hilariously, although slightly embarrasingly, Inverse and I stumbled on something of a glitch with the current mod release. Needless to say it's now fixed, but anyone who wants to not have to play in dev mode (by which I mean everyone) should download the newest version, which also includes a change I am keen to experiment with, not related to balance:

- Squads will no longer dance around cover! Hooray!

(This might not be permanent if a lot of people would rather have squad AI to help with avoiding arty etc)

21 Nov 2013, 05:13 AM

GREAT INITIATIVE!!! We neeed vCOH back up pro style :D

You really need to spread the word about this mod man! Noone i play with in vcoh know this...
21 Nov 2013, 12:41 PM

Woohwill test this tonight for sur :o
21 Nov 2013, 16:56 PM

First off: great work, really like the work you put into it.
I still have a slight issue with the mod itself: the "re-balancing".
I feel like the balance should not be touched too much. Stuff like Jeep/Bike priority is fine, the damage buff maybe too... Sherman smoke, who cares?! but fiddling around with the balance too much might be overdoing it.

I know, you probably don't want to change the game too much yourself, but i know that people (me too) tend to overdo stuff like this once they started, so just consider this a friendly reminder :-).
21 Nov 2013, 17:18 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Nov 2013, 16:56 PMcr4wler
First off: great work, really like the work you put into it.
I still have a slight issue with the mod itself: the "re-balancing".
I feel like the balance should not be touched too much. Stuff like Jeep/Bike priority is fine, the damage buff maybe too... Sherman smoke, who cares?! but fiddling around with the balance too much might be overdoing it.

I know, you probably don't want to change the game too much yourself, but i know that people (me too) tend to overdo stuff like this once they started, so just consider this a friendly reminder :-).

If somethings overdone/broken, it can be tuned down. Especially in a mod ... it's not a Relic balance patch. (or at least not yet.)

21 Nov 2013, 17:29 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

I think that making slight balance changes to buff underused units or strategies is a good idea. Tommy knows the game inside and out, and I have full faith that he will make small and incremental changes.

2.602 at the highest level was dominated by Inf company. I'd like to see that tweaked if possible.
21 Nov 2013, 17:44 PM

2.602 at the highest level was dominated by Inf company. I'd like to see that tweaked if possible.

*hmm, not really tbh, SiberianPlatoon went Armor company almost everygame.
To Armor Company I could see 2 changes:
* Raid costs a CP less (and thus the rest of the tree including calliope)
* PERSHING HVAP upgrade; Pershing no longer has a massive AoE penalty on it's main gun after upgrading.
It would make the upgrade a straight upgrade instead of some stupid tradeoff where you lose a lot of your anti infantry power.

The 'realistic feel' (for all you historians out there) thought process is; Pershing would always use heat projectiles vs infantry and once researched: it would use the HVAP rounds ONLY VS TANKS.

And Airborne was sometimes an option (for that recon run or strafe run, or need of an ATG), but it has too weak of an endgame. Mostly cause Bombing Run is a bit lackluster for a 250muni ability. Especially vs the all common Stugspam. Stugs are about the only tank type bombing run does no additional damage against.
(I asked Kolaris if he could try some kind of rework regarding bombing run.)
21 Nov 2013, 17:47 PM

I'm online in 15 mins, in Wellington Chat, if anybody wants a game...
21 Nov 2013, 18:02 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

FYI Rocky, from our feature on SiberianPlatoon:
This game was relatively smooth sailing and hence Armor Company was chosen. Armor was chosen in 5/13 games: it acts as the go-to-Doctrine when no doctrinal aid is required in the early or mid game. On average, the right hand tree of Armor was chosen at 5 Commander Points for the Calliope.

Infantry Doctrine was chosen in 6/13 games one average at 4 CPs, every time with the right hand tree being selected first for Off Map Howitzer Shoot.

http://www.gamereplays.org/companyofheroes/portals.php?show=index&name=company-of-heroes-siberianplatoon-interview-analysis&tab=9073060

Furthermore, Sib's dominance was ended by DevM in SNF Season 3. Infantry Company was even more prominent throughout SNF Season 4, as the metagame continued to mature.
21 Nov 2013, 18:34 PM

Raid should give some bonus to T4 units imo. Even at 1 CP a Jeep is usually easily killed by that point in the game, and armor players usually go T4 instead of T3 meaning they don't really benefit anything from that first ability. Having smoke canisters unlocked instantly free of charge, or making Sherman upgun free (though it should still be in the building so you can opt not to research it) would be a good change.
21 Nov 2013, 18:42 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Infantry Doctrine is the most obvious choice in a Wehr vs Amis matchup. Off-map arty at 3 cps to break down a wehr defensive position or on the pak if you're getting an M8. Maybe the cost of the off-map howitzer should be increased to 175 or 200 muni's? All units / abilities in this doctrine are good, making it a safe choice and thus the most popular.

Airborne doctrine is the 'weakest' really. Paratroopers and the Para AT drop are very expenisve to reinforce and the RR's phasing through Puma's is still very annoying (Is it possible to do something about that? New Puma model perhaps?). Strafing and Bombing Run are too unreliable for their cost as they're easy to dodge by a skilled Wehr player. Thus making it an almost useless doctrine in the late game.

Armor is fine, just need some slight buffs on the raid ability. 1CP less for that would offer more strategical options for A: getting a jeep and B: Early M8. Pershing, obviously, needs a buff for it's cost.
21 Nov 2013, 19:14 PM

Infantry Doctrine is the most obvious choice in a Wehr vs Amis matchup. Off-map arty at 3 cps to break down a wehr defensive position or on the pak if you're getting an M8. Maybe the cost of the off-map howitzer should be increased to 175 or 200 muni's? All units / abilities in this doctrine are good, making it a safe choice and thus the most popular.

Airborne doctrine is the 'weakest' really. Paratroopers and the Para AT drop are very expenisve to reinforce and the RR's phasing through Puma's is still very annoying (Is it possible to do something about that? New Puma model perhaps?). Strafing and Bombing Run are too unreliable for their cost as they're easy to dodge by a skilled Wehr player. Thus making it an almost useless doctrine in the late game.

Armor is fine, just need some slight buffs on the raid ability. 1CP less for that would offer more strategical options for A: getting a jeep and B: Early M8. Pershing, obviously, needs a buff for it's cost.

Strafe is actually one of the best parts about the Airborne tree, and I definatly don't see it as unreliable, the bombing run however is very slow, although it can destroy infantry it can easily be dodged,
I feel like airborne could have a tiny little anti infantry boost, maybe rather than all having m1 carbines, a couple could have the m1 garand and have the standard rifleman damage.
Pershing actually does have good anti infantry, and can witstand quite allot of punishment.
21 Nov 2013, 20:02 PM

Infantry doctrine wouldn't nerf, maybe a 100mp price increase on off map combat group, now that it's more reliable (maybe add a possibility for a Quad). But i'd also reduce Ranger reinforce costs a little. And add some useful vet for Howitzer.

Puma is meant to counter airborne units, but ye also lower AB reifnorce cost a little. And especially on the ATG, that's just a bug. And like Bombing Run, make it good. Strafe is fine.

Armor ye, as I stated before aswell. Maybe slight cost decrease on Calliope. 25mp cheaper or maybe even 50. Fix Calliope veterancy.

21 Nov 2013, 20:24 PM

Damn, really appreciate it. Too bad I don't have that much time and LoL pre season patch just arrive, but I will definitely try it out soon!
PAGES (29)down
2 users are browsing this thread: 2 guests

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS