Login

russian armor

Elite Mod COH - Download and Changelog

PAGES (29)down
19 Nov 2013, 23:58 PM
Coder Red Badge

This looks great, think I'll test it out in the future.
20 Nov 2013, 08:03 AM

Naturally, any changes to mines will be discreet and likely will focus on methods of detection first.

Snipers: I've thought about it, but I'd rather not make the sniper an inherently weaker unit. Ideally, it should just be easier to counter, especially when used unsupported (even in high level COH, many players might just pair their sniper with a single rifle or volk and use that to single handedly push back an entire army).

There are no plans to change the medic system right now, it's not a balance concern. I'd like to be able to stop grens from being able to nade their own volks to make zombies, but besides that (and I don't think I can fix that without turning off FF) they will remain unchanged.

Thanks for the reply.

I think you are right. Perhaps the best way to balance the current metagame (or at least, the best starting point) is not lessening the strengths of great units, but improving the functionality of unused units.

There are a lot of units/upgrades/doctrinal abilities that also go unused for various reasons (think wehr officer, or allied demo charges). While they aren't useless units, they usually don't form part of army compositions. Expanding their uses (much like Rocky suggested with "sappers") could certainly change the depth and indirectly benefit exploited units like the sniper.
20 Nov 2013, 09:29 AM

Wouldn't VVSMG into grenspam get even stronger with this patch? I guess reduced rifle reinforce is a good counter for US, but you really need 2+ snipers to deal with heavy T2 play supported by a countersniper.

I guess we'll just have to test it out :)

edit: considered changing inspired assault?
20 Nov 2013, 11:38 AM

Wouldn't VVSMG into grenspam get even stronger with this patch? I guess reduced rifle reinforce is a good counter for US, but you really need 2+ snipers to deal with heavy T2 play supported by a countersniper.

I guess we'll just have to test it out :)

edit: considered changing inspired assault?

In my opinion inspired assault is fine, i've been using it more often, and have gotten good effects from volks, mgs and grens with lmgs.
20 Nov 2013, 13:58 PM

Permanently Banned
1)The officer, one of the most unused unit of the game. What if he could oversee support weapons like mortars, mg's and nebels, one at a time, giving them buffs like faster reload, cooldown or more accuracy. One more thing, that mortar barage deserves a muni reduction.

2)Also, when is the last time you saw a LMG42 used? There's something wrong with that gun, too expensive for how little damage it deals, furthermore if u lose it to some vetted rifles you're in a world of hurt.

3) Tactical map: It appears that when you order a unit to move using the tac map an attack-move order will be issued instead of just move. That's frustrating especially when you're trying to build a multiple directions flank, because some of the rifles are stopping to engage irelevant targets, like OP's pioners, bunkers etc.
20 Nov 2013, 14:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Nov 2013, 13:58 PMFritzX
1)The officer, one of the most unused unit of the game. What if he could oversee support weapons like mortars, mg's and nebels, one at a time, giving them buffs like faster reload, cooldown or more accuracy. One more thing, that mortar barage deserves a muni reduction.

2)Also, when is the last time you saw a LMG42 used? There's something wrong with that gun, too expensive for how little damage it deals, furthermore if u lose it to some vetted rifles you're in a world of hurt.

3) Tactical map: It appears that when you order a unit to move using the tac map an attack-move order will be issued instead of just move. That's frustrating especially when you're trying to build a multiple directions flank, because some of the rifles are stopping to engage irelevant targets, like OP's pioners, bunkers etc.

I don't think a lot needs to be done to the Officer to make him more usefull. Reduce the muni cost (even down to 20-25) on the "retreat 1 unit" but with a decent enough cool down. Maybe play with the range. If the officer is still not used play with the cost to purchase.

I am not sure why it currently isn't used more. Wouldn't an officer give blitzkrieg the ability to do some Registered Arty?
20 Nov 2013, 15:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Nov 2013, 13:58 PMFritzX

Here man, you just bring one of my biggest concerns about the steam version. Mouvement click on the tactical map = attack moven which sucks. It wasn't like that a few months ago.
Moreover, when you select a unit on the tactical map and try to add another unit to the selction by shifting it, it will deselect the first unit, so you always end up with 1 selected unit. It was different pre-steam. That's not user-friendly.
20 Nov 2013, 15:29 PM
Coder Red Badge

It's actually always been attack-move, even before it was moved to Steam. If you issue a cap order, though, units move instead of attack-moving.
20 Nov 2013, 15:57 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Nov 2013, 15:29 PMInverse
It's actually always been attack-move, even before it was moved to Steam. If you issue a cap order, though, units move instead of attack-moving.

This, and it's a good thing anyway. I'm pretty sure I couldn't change it even if I wanted to.

The officer is one of those units that always seems to get mega buffs whenever people make 'fantasy' changelogs etc, but I'm not entirely convinced it needs to be buffed. It's just a not particularly useful unit in its very essence- a bit like an OP, except for manpower. Some people have used them successfully but in most games the build time modifier doesn't balance out the cost when you could just buy another unit. I might experiment with lowering his prop war ability but that's probably as far as it'll go.

As for the LMG, it's something worth considering- of course, you don't want it like Coh2 either where every gren is running around packing a portable HMG. Perhaps a small price reduction to 60 munitions from 75.

It does deal good damage though, the reason it isn't used it mainly due to the fact that as Wher, you're only really going to want to invest in that kind of firepower for a vet 2+ gren, and that means you're in T2, and as the LMG only unlocks at T3, in games where the Wher player actually goes for T3 in a timely manner he's going to want his primary AI handled by vehicles, not by unvetted grens which are a risky platform for such a weapon (due to risk of dropping).
20 Nov 2013, 16:09 PM

What about making the LMG a Tier 2 upgrade, that way layers would have a choice to choose shreck to counter an enemy that wen't m8, or go lmg in case he went rangers, or bars, or airborne.
20 Nov 2013, 16:13 PM
Coder Red Badge

I don't really think the LMG is a problem. It's an extremely situational weapon that has its limited uses. vCoH's midgame balance is pretty good right now; I'd hate to change anything that impacts that balance unnecessarily.
20 Nov 2013, 16:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Nov 2013, 16:13 PMInverse
I don't really think the LMG is a problem. It's an extremely situational weapon that has its limited uses. vCoH's midgame balance is pretty good right now; I'd hate to change anything that impacts that balance unnecessarily.

I think improved Squad AI, or just removing it like Tommy proposes, would be the thing it needs. The guy with the LMG jumps around too many times. It's the most common problem. A guy with a Bren LMG almost never does this. Don't know why, but it's better.

The officer is one of those units that always seems to get mega buffs whenever people make 'fantasy' changelogs etc, but I'm not entirely convinced it needs to be buffed. It's just a not particularly useful unit in its very essence- a bit like an OP, except for manpower. Some people have used them successfully but in most games the build time modifier doesn't balance out the cost when you could just buy another unit. I might experiment with lowering his prop war ability but that's probably as far as it'll go.

Just make the manpower cost go down a bit; Maybe give back it's Sniper killing abilities; Reduce the cost of it's Arty barrage which never gets used; Prop war is probably the best ability the officer has, buff it and it's broken. Every time he'd just send that vet 3 riflesquad away for a cheap cost.
20 Nov 2013, 16:33 PM

Be very careful with changing too much, like riflemen for example..

Other then that, looks really promising :)

Maybe Noun and the team can take this as inspiration for the next update?
20 Nov 2013, 17:00 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Nov 2013, 16:33 PM12ocky

Just make the manpower cost go down a bit; Maybe give back it's Sniper killing abilities; Reduce the cost of it's Arty barrage which never gets used; Prop war is probably the best ability the officer has, buff it and it's broken. Every time he'd just send that vet 3 riflesquad away for a cheap cost.

Making the officer a sniper counter could actually be awesome.
20 Nov 2013, 17:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Nov 2013, 17:00 PMTommy

Making the officer a sniper counter could actually be awesome.

It used to be that way ... the luger had an insane critchance of killing the sniper. They changed that with 2.602 though, no clue why (edit: ye i found out why, the 3rd man on the Pak was holding a Luger too, and he sometimes kill infantry, i don't find that the worst thing tbh.)

Btw I'm online on the mod .. if anybody wants some games.
20 Nov 2013, 17:40 PM

I feel the Officer was designed around being able to Supervise points and act as an OP, and he's been lost and confused since that was removed.
20 Nov 2013, 18:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Nov 2013, 17:35 PM12ocky

(edit: ye i found out why, the 3rd man on the Pak was holding a Luger too, and he sometimes kill infantry, i don't find that the worst thing tbh.)

That was a 100% chance when the pak was on cloak, which was terribad.

I wish officer had some more abilities and non-doctrinal ones.

I always liked the Brits captain ability to call arty bagages from units on the field. The number of rounds, the precision of the barrage, the free ability and the campy/arty spamm brits made this broken.

But let's say that the officer could have :
- force retreat
- mortar barrage (2-3 rounds)
- smoke barrage (2-3 rounds)
- unit supervision

Those abilities would be non-doctrinal but tiers or unit's presence related.
He could use a smoke/mortar barrage only if there is a mortar on the field somewhere, unit supervision would be native, force retreat would be tier related.
You balance the price out of it.
Finally, you end up with a very important unit, as important as a sniper.

The not so good points are :
- t3 building might be a bit far. Maybe in HQ when t3 is reached (like mp44 for storms)
- there won't be any us unit like this, which is sad.
20 Nov 2013, 18:38 PM
Coder Red Badge

The problem with making significant changes to the Officer is you're going from extremely minor balance tweaks and bug fixes to extremely game-changing and potentially game-breaking modifications. If I understood correctly, the purpose of this mod is to fix those minor issues that Relic either screwed up (incorrect stats, data entry mistakes, etc.) or were unwilling to fix (misfire bug).

The more changes you make, the greater the chance of you screwing something up. I don't see why you'd want to risk that when you consider how well-balanced the current version of vCoH already is.
20 Nov 2013, 18:51 PM

maybe increase detect range of officer (and jeeps and bikes for that matter).

I don't like the idea of the sniper dying so easy to a jeep or bike. Mass fire from gren, rifle, volks, rangers, etc. sure, that makes sense if you let them get too close, you should pay for it. I like more the idea of still having to get a counter snipe, but maybe making that process easier with longer recloak times and better detection units. Maybe less misses on retreat? Is it 25% chance on retreating sniper? Maybe make it 50% on retreat, 100% if not moving, 85% if moving uncloaked but in cloak mode, 70% if moving in uncloaked mode.

Group negative zeal is good though. It prevents the attack move blobs. Really hurts wehr because of smaller unit size. 2 US snipers are like a free prop war too.

The sniper unit was really a shoot once, relocate, shoot again. It was death to go into a building or to fire twice from the same spot (in real life). I know the game is not real life, but I think you have to use the theory. So really exaggerate the recloak time after the 2nd shot. Make that 3rd shot and subsequent ones really risky if there's an enemy sniper lurking.

Maybe slowing down the movement rate. Reduce the uncloaked movement 10-20% and the cloaked movement 25%.

That will force more micro and if you then decide to blob, that's where the negative zeal kicks in.

Overall, I think the game is pretty perfect. There's the obvious bugs, but balance wise I think about all the great games I've had and have seen. I wouldn't mess with it too much. But clearly I've seen enough games turn to crap once 2+ snipers hit the field.
20 Nov 2013, 18:54 PM

I know right, just some fantazy.

But having the officer in HQ at T3 while in T3 building should be a change. Right now, getting a officer is counterproductive.

We can still divide the officer production time, and let him in it's T3, but it will still be counterproductive and puma/stug spamm oriented with maybe some fast vets.

What if I'd like to hold on my T2 gren spamm but spamm gren faster ? What if I just want the officer to get T4 tanks faster ? What if I jsut want my vet faster ? => officer in HQ at T3
PAGES (29)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS