Login

russian armor

Decrease wire build time

7 Jun 2021, 11:29 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Wires are usually used to block entrances to houses and wire off green cover on the map in the early game. In the late game they are basically never used since green cover can be destroyed more easily and pioneers are busy repairing vehicles.
The originally intended use - blocking infantry pathing - has become a true unicorn and nowhere to be seen because first, it is usually not worth the time and second, those wires are easily destroyed by almost any kind of fire.

So why not decrease the wire build time? This could make path blocking at least on some "key" areas more viable, potentially make wires scale better into the late game as well as alleviate issues with green cover. The most recent fix for sandbags has been to just increase their build time. Decreasing wire build time provides a somewhat similar function regarding cover spam.

The build time reduction could actually make it more feasible to wire off infantry flanking routes in the late game and could additionally help OKW with their special wire type. Since British engineers are now in T0, all factions have access at the same time to engineers.
7 Jun 2021, 11:35 AM

So why not increase the wire build time?

I'm sure you meant "decrease" here.

I think it's viable option. wire is not used in late game because all most all vehicles can destroy them. And engis are way too busy doing other stuffs. But yes, I do like wiring at early game. Especially when there is a green cover in favor of enemy.
7 Jun 2021, 11:43 AM

The only wire I find slow to build it the OWK reinforced wire which probably takes more time to build than to cut.
7 Jun 2021, 11:55 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I'm sure you meant "decrease" here.

Whoops, fixed it, thanks.

I think it's viable option. wire is not used in late game because all most all vehicles can destroy them. And engis are way too busy doing other stuffs. But yes, I do like wiring at early game. Especially when there is a green cover in favor of enemy.

Hence my suggestion to decrease the build time. Currently they work only in the early game but are not viable in their "authentic" use at any point of the game. I am not sure if it will be enough, but decreasing the build time (if necessary at least of upgraded engineer squads with e.g. the mine detector) could make it a bit more viable to wire off small sections and passages in the map, maybe also in the late game.
TL;DR: Their value is very small in the late game, so their cost should also be smaller.

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Jun 2021, 11:43 AMVipper
The only wire I find slow to build it the OWK reinforced wire which probably takes more time to build than to cut.

If I am not mistaken you can't cut the OKW wire at all.
The "normal" wire still takes too long in the late game to be a good choice over all other stuff that pioneers need to do. So at least with that as a reference, they are slow to build.
7 Jun 2021, 11:59 AM

If I am not mistaken you can't cut the OKW wire at all.
The "normal" wire still takes too long in the late game to be a good choice over all other stuff that pioneers need to do. So at least with that as a reference, they are slow to build.

You can. The main difference is that it can not be crushed by light
7 Jun 2021, 13:18 PM

i dont see any upside in doing so. Wireing a choke point or two is currently either done or not, depending on the player... saving one or two seconds wont change anything. This would only promote campy play which is horrible (imo)

I know Hans would disagree with this but i think wire is completly overrated. When youre capping anyway or have nothing else to do with your pios sure go for it but dont get out of your way to wire every bit of cover or potential flank. There are like one or two natural cover positions at most on each map thats worth your time, everything else is a waste of effort. youre better off capping, fighting or scouting with your pios most of the time
7 Jun 2021, 16:13 PM

Back in 2013, I found wiring is stupidly slow comparing to COH1, it was not worth doing it except ghost wiring.

Around 2018, I found Relic finally realised it is stupid and somehow buffed the wiring speed.

Now, someone think it is still not viable enough.
Sure, why not? Buff it into COH1 speed.
7 Jun 2021, 19:10 PM

Well let's see how the new IS + Volks wire building changes the meta before changing the wire build speed. Sandbags already are in a tenuous situation and now they'll have mainlines wiring off enemy sandbags. Imho I agree with CN that those squads are better off capping than trying to wire off a road/side path.
8 Jun 2021, 15:16 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

i dont see any upside in doing so. Wireing a choke point or two is currently either done or not, depending on the player... saving one or two seconds wont change anything. This would only promote campy play which is horrible (imo)

It's not about quicker wiring of single sand bags or other green cover. My suggestion won't change much for wiring those, but matter more for elongated wire lines to block paths or elongate flanking routes. Basically it would improve exactly what wire is actually, "authentically" used for.
I'd also doubt it would really promote campy play (maybe potentially for very low level players). There are plenty of counters out there for getting rid of wires, that's why they currently are not used in their intended role at all and only somewhat to barely used at best for blocking green cover. Giving them a slight buff will probably not make camping strategies strong.

...youre better off capping, fighting or scouting with your pios most of the time

Well yes. That's the whole point of the suggestion: Make longer wire lines less costly, because they don't give much benefit and thereby make this option more attractive compared to what engineers have to do otherwise.

Well let's see how the new IS + Volks wire building changes the meta before changing the wire build speed. Sandbags already are in a tenuous situation and now they'll have mainlines wiring off enemy sandbags. Imho I agree with CN that those squads are better off capping than trying to wire off a road/side path.

I fully agree to check first how the commander changes are going to work out. But you shouldn't forget that this change will only affect commanders and not the "standard" play. Designing the base functions around one or two commander abilities being broken instead of the other way around usually ends up in a mess.
Regarding the last sentence, as I wrote to CN: That is the whole point of the suggestion. Make wiring more attractive compared to other duties, especially the "authentic" use of wire.
8 Jun 2021, 15:45 PM

Imo increasing the time to build tank traps and change them to actually work as tank traps is a more pressing issue.
8 Jun 2021, 16:31 PM

Increase Sandbag and Wire Health to make them mor euseful mid-late and in team games?
8 Jun 2021, 17:08 PM

Increase Sandbag and Wire Health to make them mor euseful mid-late and in team games?

Plz don't increase hp of sandbag. It's already consuming 3 shots from tanks.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★