How OKW and Ostheer are different from each other

What is your preferred German faction?
Option Distribution Votes
55%
45%
Total votes: 20
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
26 Mar 2021, 08:44 AM

Hi everyone, I know this question has been asked alot, but I am interesting now after all the patches what has changed, what make each faction unique in comparison to all other factions, what roles are the best for each of them... ect, also just for clarification this post is not to complain about balance.

also please vote for your preferred one just for fun 😁
MMX
26 Mar 2021, 10:00 AM

OKDubbb... cuz they've got all the big cats!
26 Mar 2021, 10:24 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Mar 2021, 10:00 AMMMX
OKDubbb... cuz they've got all the big cats!

But they don't have elephants lol
26 Mar 2021, 10:25 AM

Ostheer, easily. Once you get used to their slower game pace, you can grab control of most matches. Brumbars are easily the best non doc tanks. Victory!!
26 Mar 2021, 10:26 AM

OKW even though Wehrmacht is better designed
26 Mar 2021, 10:34 AM

OKW with the tech changes are a bit more balanced than what they used to be. The old adage of, "Dive deep and hoping it sticks and stall, especially with allied changes, really is not all that viable.

You can take your time a bit more with OKW instead of risking everything for a stranglehold early.

That being said WM is still rock solid.
26 Mar 2021, 10:51 AM

My answer is obvious. :D

A more favourable late game in exchange for weaker early/mid game. I never really liked the way you'd be locked into Panthers late game as OST if you didn't pick Ele. Even back in 2015 I had distaste for this strategy, back when ppl had 6 Panthers going around. With OKW you can match the Allied TD meta and actually defeat it TDs to TDs with better scaling ones of your own. Lost count of the number of matches where an opponent underestimates them.

And of course, the real reason because I enjoy the adrenaline high way too much:
26 Mar 2021, 11:06 AM

Ostheer hands down for me (I play team games mostly).
A much more conventional design with clear roles for each unit. Grens that scale well into late game on wide open maps, PGs if I need a very reliable close to medium range unit. Access to sniper, early mobile reinforcement, generally more reliable team weapons. Can build chaches and defenses, so I have something to spend spare manpower on, unlike okw. Access to cheap TDs (stug), good AA/anti inf tank (ostwind) and a dedicated anti blob tank(brummbar).
Also a wide variety of doctrinal units and abilities, personally I'm really fond of stormtroopers and ambush camo.
26 Mar 2021, 16:33 PM

OKW, because Volksgrenadiers and StGs.
26 Mar 2021, 18:57 PM

I used to main Ostheer until the WFA released, then I mained OKW until the Brits released and then I mained the UKF until I went back to the OKW again.

The USF I've played somewhat a lot as well, maybe not as much, and the Soviets pretty much almost never with a few exception games.

My playstyle is mostly built around heavy tanks like the Tiger and Churchill so pretty much why I don't really play USF that much, a Jumbo would have changed that but yeah... And OKW as other people have said already has the more big cats.

Anyway, I think that both Armies are wrongly designed for what they're supposed to represent.

The Ostheer should be a more early war, fast and aggressive force with more manpower at their disposal, instead they're based on a 1944 from the looks of things defensive Army based around static positions and heavy use of team weapons.

And the OKW should actually be the more defensive 1944/1945 static Army with the heavy weapons and big heavy tanks, instead the roles are reversed with the OKW being the more aggressive force with arguably better early game options.

Otherwise the Ostheer to me at least lack a forward retreat point, even doctrinally being the only Army to do so, and bigger squads with just 1 commander offering 5 men Grenadier squads, and maybe a unique variant of the King Tiger to equalize the amount of late game options both Armies have.

Also for tanks specifically lack some sort of self-repair ability or forward repair like a repair bunker upgrade, often times a couple of pioneer squads don't really cut it to also have to repair all of your vehicles besides their other duties.

Otherwise the Ostheer in my opinion is pretty solidly and standardly built and I would say it's rather easy to begin learning the game with them if you're new.

The OKW on the otherhand are pretty wonky and tech-weird in a sense and I would say take a bit more to get used to them as well as perhaps previous CoH experience in general helping out in that regard since both Armies sort of act like their predecessors.

Overall however I would say that at least balance wise the Ostheer is lacking as well as struggling more compared to the OKW which on paper should be the weaker Army. But in practice it's really the reverse, as this poll shows, again at least in my personal opinion.
26 Mar 2021, 19:20 PM

And the OKW should actually be the more defensive 1944/1945 static Army with the heavy weapons and big heavy tanks, instead the roles are reversed with the OKW being the more aggressive force with arguably better early game options.

The okw tries to represent the army Group B that launched Ardennes Counteroffensive and that is why it aggressiveness design. (and resources hungry in initial design)
26 Mar 2021, 19:21 PM

OKW is too cheesy, Ostheer feels like an actual RTS faction that had some thought go into the design.

OKW is like if someone was like "bro what are the nuttiest german weapons and units we havent featured yet" and then just slammed them all together throwing out every bit of faction design principle and balance that was established.
26 Mar 2021, 19:23 PM

Overall however I would say that at least balance wise the Ostheer is lacking as well as struggling more compared to the OKW which on paper should be the weaker Army. But in practice it's really the reverse, as this poll shows, again at least in my personal opinion.

Ostheer isnt weak, its just that OKW is way stronger this patch than anyone here wants to admit to yet. I feel like ostheer as currently implemented should be the balance level all other factions should strive for.
26 Mar 2021, 19:39 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Mar 2021, 19:20 PMVipper

The okw tries to represent the army Group B that launched Ardennes Counteroffensive and that is why it aggressiveness design. (and resources hungry in initial design)

I'm well aware of that but we only understood it with the release of the Ardennes Assault campaign, not beforehand.

And honestly building an Army around a campaign is really short sighted if you ask me, not that the Panzer Elite of CoH were any different in that regard but still, they somewhat did their job of portraying the Panzer Lehr Division there.

Ostheer isnt weak, its just that OKW is way stronger this patch than anyone here wants to admit to yet. I feel like ostheer as currently implemented should be the balance level all other factions should strive for.

Always has been this way in my opinion, similar to again how the Panzer Elite outshined the Wehrmacht in the original Company of Heroes.

Superior infantry when fully upgraded, self-propelled mobile artillery in the form of the Hummel, manpower double call in Panthers which I believe were cheaper to tech to than the Wehrmacht Panthers, zombie tank ability with the Bergetiger, arguably better defensive options with the Luftwaffe doctrine, best AT in the game with the Tank Destroyer doctrine and so forth.

The Wehrmacht only really had it's weapon teams and maybe the Blitzkrieg doctrine to rely on to stay competitive with the PE in comparison, otherwise Defensive was very heavily static focused and prone to arty while Terror... At least I was never really a fan of it, especially after they removed the Tiger Ace and replaced it with the single use King Tiger which never really made sense to me.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★