Login

russian armor

UKF command vehicle and Infiltration Commandoes

6 Feb 2021, 17:39 PM

I started playing a lot more UKF and find a couple things really odd, and maybe unbalanced. The first is the UKF designate command vehicle. While command vehicles from every other faction improve the vehicle itself, and units around it, the UKF one badly nerfs whatever vehicle becomes the command vehicle so that it seems to never be worth it. If the aura is too strong, maybe give it a slight nerf so that the ability isn't wasted.

Also, infiltration commandoes are the only infiltration unit that doesn't spawn with a full squad. I agree that they're really good up close but paying full cost seems excessive. Also, it seems really unbalance when the squad is just being called in from the edge of the map. It seems like you should get the full squad in that case and either four models or a reduction in MP when used as an infiltration unit.
6 Feb 2021, 18:12 PM

UKF command vehicle provides very strong buffs to both, infantry and vehicles.

Infiltration commandos spawn like that, because contrary to other infiltration units(barring memetisans), they start with their cqc weapon and not rifles.
7 Feb 2021, 22:07 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Feb 2021, 17:39 PMGrumpy
I started playing a lot more UKF and find a couple things really odd, and maybe unbalanced. The first is the UKF designate command vehicle. While command vehicles from every other faction improve the vehicle itself, and units around it, the UKF one badly nerfs whatever vehicle becomes the command vehicle so that it seems to never be worth it. If the aura is too strong, maybe give it a slight nerf so that the ability isn't wasted

Just put it on an AEC and have it follow your tanks. Designate Command Vehicle is one of the most powerful abilities in the game. An AEC with tread shot and two vetted Fireflies is easily the deadliest AT force in the game with incredible DPM.

Just an example (and this wasn't even a very long game):

The only thing that makes this ability balanced is that you have to sacrifice a unit for it (though the debuffs don't seem to apply to tread shot so that still works nicely) and that it costs a ton of resources to accumulate. But once you get things rolling...
8 Feb 2021, 06:45 AM

Just put it on an AEC and have it follow your tanks. Designate Command Vehicle is one of the most powerful abilities in the game. An AEC with tread shot and two vetted Fireflies is easily the deadliest AT force in the game with incredible DPM.

The only thing that makes this ability balanced is that you have to sacrifice a unit for it (though the debuffs don't seem to apply to tread shot so that still works nicely) and that it costs a ton of resources to accumulate. But once you get things rolling...

Thanks, I'll try it on Redball or a similar map next time. I haven't been getting the AEC a lot lately because their window of usefulness seems short in 4's.
8 Feb 2021, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Infiltration commandos spawn like that, because contrary to other infiltration units(barring memetisans), they start with their cqc weapon and not rifles.

That was not really his point. Infiltration commandos are horrendously expensive.
They lost 2 models due to the ability to wipe cheesily, but this reason does not apply if you call them in from your base.

Just put it on an AEC and have it follow your tanks.

To be honest that is also the issue I have with that ability. It is a good ability by itself, but you absolutely MUST have an AEC for that. Even on a Cromwell it's hardly worth it.
At this point it could also just become a unit upgrade for the AEC. The faction just lacks some proper light vehicles for an ability in this specific design.
MMX
8 Feb 2021, 12:27 PM

To be honest that is also the issue I have with that ability. It is a good ability by itself, but you absolutely MUST have an AEC for that. Even on a Cromwell it's hardly worth it.
At this point it could also just become a unit upgrade for the AEC. The faction just lacks some proper light vehicles for an ability in this specific design.

i remember a couple of years ago it was still possible to convert the uc into a command vehicle... fun times! and there was hardly a reason ever to use it on any other vehicle, apart maybe from the poor lategame survivability of the uc. i remember this combo was deemed too cheap and with too little drawbacks at the time, but then again the whole brit faction changed quite a lot since.
so maybe the whole uc-into-command-vehicle thing could be revisited again. would also help to give it some sort of utility past the lv phase.
8 Feb 2021, 12:39 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Feb 2021, 12:27 PMMMX

i remember a couple of years ago it was still possible to convert the uc into a command vehicle... fun times! and there was hardly a reason ever to use it on any other vehicle, apart maybe from the poor lategame survivability of the uc. i remember this combo was deemed too cheap and with too little drawbacks at the time, but then again the whole brit faction changed quite a lot since.
so maybe the whole uc-into-command-vehicle thing could be revisited again. would also help to give it some sort of utility past the lv phase.

I think that is still possible.
I have not used it in a long time on the UC though, mostly because in 2v2 the UC often does not survive until it were worth upgrading it and at some point it becomes a huge micro burden to not lose it.
I think Commando Vehicle ability of UKF would be fine in any other faction (probably even Ostheer), but as UKF you either put it on your cardboard UC, are forced to tech AEC (however here it fits perfectly) or gimp an actual tank. There is no real decision to be made, that's what is a bit of a shame about the ability.
8 Feb 2021, 13:41 PM

Command vehicle upgrade is no longer possible in UC.

I guess one could replace the upgrade with a command vehicle and balance it accordingly, but the upgrade is far from bad.
8 Feb 2021, 21:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Feb 2021, 13:41 PMVipper
Command vehicle upgrade is no longer possible in UC.

I guess one could replace the upgrade with a command vehicle and balance it accordingly, but the upgrade is far from bad.

You're correct in that it can't be put on a UC. I wouldn't mind the ability if that was still possible, but don't like having to build a AEC in a 4v4 just to use the ability.

I understand why they limited the number of models on Infiltration commandoes when used as an infiltration units, but think they should get all of their models when not used as infiltration units.
8 Feb 2021, 22:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Feb 2021, 21:42 PMGrumpy

You're correct in that it can't be put on a UC. I wouldn't mind the ability if that was still possible, but don't like having to build a AEC in a 4v4 just to use the ability.

The bonuses provided by the aura and the timing are simply to high to be available in UC.

Imo strong passive aura should simply not available. There are a number of solution that can included timed auras or creating a command vehicle instead of upgrading one.

If you blobbing but do not want to get an AEC you can upgrade:
A Centaur it will probably still be able to offer some AA and it Vet 1 ability would still be good AI.

A Cromwell. It will still be able to fire smoke and if the blob is big enough it will provide more DPS than you will lose

A Churchill or Croc. The main gun will not be great but again if the blob is big enough.

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Feb 2021, 21:42 PMGrumpy

I understand why they limited the number of models on Infiltration commandoes when used as an infiltration units, but think they should get all of their models when not used as infiltration units.

Although I generally agree that infiltration units (that come with premium) should be able to be build from HQ without it the Command are in weird place since the might become superior to other Commandos available.

I guess one could redesign them to be 4 men commands armed with 4 Enfield (or 3+pistol or 2+2 De lisle) able to upgrade with brens.
9 Feb 2021, 19:14 PM

Infiltration commandos are imo fine as they can still effect to outcome of induvidual firefights time to time and i like the lesser mp cost on deploy despite reinforce technically ramps it to be bit more expensive.
13 Feb 2021, 22:58 PM

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried it today but with a Comet and Cromwell on City 17. Tread breaker helped kill multiple tanks including a Panther, and after the Comet and Crom vetted the other team stopped trying to push them around with their PGren shrek blobs. Unfortunately the game ended before I could get my second Comet going. It would've been interesting to see the four of them running as a pack. I didn't notice the debuff much on the AEC. Tread shot seems to work all of the time.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★