Login

russian armor

Beginner tip

20 Jan 2021, 01:01 AM

well, I'm hot off a losing streak in team games. I'm not that great as a player, but I've also noticed one commonality in my allies, that consistently leads to our defeat. Here's a tip for free : MOVE.

There are all kinds of posts on here about "what kind of build order should I use?" "what's the DPS of this thing versus this thing?" None of that crap matters if you sit there the entire game and wonder why we're losing.

That's it. That's my tip for all the people who make posts about what to do to get better. If you win an engagement, move. Take the territory and move up, or build obstacles. If you fight off the enemy, they now know where your MGs,mortars, etc..are, so guess what ? Move. If you see an MG, for gods sake, go around it. That's called flanking.

So the bottom line is: learn how to move aggressively and dynamically.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.
20 Jan 2021, 05:35 AM

Unit activity is actually a pretty advanced concept which requires a deep strategic understanding of different tactical positions lol.

How do you know when to take the territory and move up; which territory? when do I do that -instead- of building obstacles, or should/can I do both? If I fight off the enemy and they know where our support weapons are -- is that bad? Can I use that to set traps, are they even thinking on that level? If I see an MG will outflanking create weaknesses elsewhere in my line or run me into another trap?

I guess my point being: this game is hard and complex. Letting off steam in a thread is fine but doing so and then labeling it beginner tip is kind of weird.
20 Jan 2021, 06:35 AM

In addition to what was already said, the ability to keep multiple units moving, let alone keeping them all safe, requires an abundance of intense focus and quick thinking.
20 Jan 2021, 13:01 PM

Not to be that guy, but your post prior to this boasted about how you like to keep your captain by your HQ to supervise, and if that means you aren't using them as a combat unit and then you're posting this I find that extremely hilarious.
20 Jan 2021, 13:49 PM

Not to be that guy, but your post prior to this boasted about how you like to keep your captain by your HQ to supervise, and if that means you aren't using them as a combat unit and then you're posting this I find that extremely hilarious.

I usually let me CPT get down to 1/2 models then leave him at base to supervise.
20 Jan 2021, 15:52 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jan 2021, 13:49 PMGrim

I usually let me CPT get down to 1/2 models then leave him at base to supervise.

Dude, captain and his "on me" and smoke is indispensable in game. Literally just walk your riflemen first into an MG, quick suppression, On Me!, run behind the MG. It's super effective. How can anyone not use the captain!?
20 Jan 2021, 15:56 PM

Dude, captain and his "on me" and smoke is indispensable in game. Literally just walk your riflemen first into an MG, quick suppression, On Me!, run behind the MG. It's super effective. How can anyone not use the captain!?

I agree, "On me!" is what I hate the most as an OST player. It's super effective. Always aim to get that captain out as quickly as possible if you play as OST.
20 Jan 2021, 21:37 PM

Tbh I sleep on that ability too much.

I just like being able to hammer out a Pak howi super fast.
20 Jan 2021, 21:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jan 2021, 21:37 PMGrim

After the patch you won't be needing to anymore xD.
Played a lot of custom USF games with the patch mod and pak howi definitely took a big hit to autofire. If you're aware and active, getting a fast AA HT first can be beneficial now, especially vs light vehicles (until puma arrives). It's AI is a bit wobbly. It will either suppress in an instant troops behind cover, or it will struggle to kill a red shield volks squad. Just don't forget to stop it so it fires it's cannon.
21 Jan 2021, 00:12 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jan 2021, 21:37 PMGrim

Agree. Whatever anyone might think about any previous hilarious posts of mine, I think this is pretty much potato potahto. Arguably, being able to field units faster allows for just as much flexibility and mobility as "on me".
21 Jan 2021, 00:15 AM

And to follow up, the point I'm making is that whatever BO or units you use won't matter if you don't first work on movement and positioning; not so sure that concept is an "advanced" one either.
21 Jan 2021, 00:27 AM

Unit activity is actually a pretty advanced concept which requires a deep strategic understanding of different tactical positions lol.

How do you know when to take the territory and move up; which territory? enough to keep the pressure on, and squeeze them into a smaller space when do I do that -instead- of building obstacles, or should/can I do both? again, shape the terrain to your advantage if necessary If I fight off the enemy and they know where our support weapons are -- is that bad? yes, almost always Can I use that to set traps,sure set your trap, and still move your stuff. best of both worlds are they even thinking on that level? assume they are. if they're not, you havent lost anything If I see an MG will outflanking create weaknesses elsewhere in my line not if we're talking about an advance or run me into another trap? it might, but then you got outplayed or outspammed by MGs

I guess my point being: this game is hard and complex. Letting off steam in a thread is fine but doing so and then labeling it beginner tip is kind of weird.
Disagree. It is venting, but also a useful tip.
21 Jan 2021, 05:52 AM

Disagree. It is venting, but also a useful tip.

you've missed my point:

giving out generic unsolicited strategic advice "learn how to move aggressively and dynamically." and rattling off a bunch of hypothetical positions and then what you think your ideal vision of the tactics to execute in said positions, divorced from an actual game state is maybe even worse for trying to improve than discussing theory: build orders and target tables. At least those are tangible.
21 Jan 2021, 06:54 AM

I agree, "On me!" is what I hate the most as an OST player. It's super effective. Always aim to get that captain out as quickly as possible if you play as OST.

I remember the old time, when I had RM smoke for Cap vet3 sprint pass the whole Ost defense position. Then On me! and suddenly Ost position "got flanked" with 4-5 squad behind.
23 Jan 2021, 02:13 AM

you've missed my point:

giving out generic unsolicited strategic advice "learn how to move aggressively and dynamically." and rattling off a bunch of hypothetical positions and then what you think your ideal vision of the tactics to execute in said positions, divorced from an actual game state is maybe even worse for trying to improve than discussing theory: build orders and target tables. At least those are tangible.

I HAVEN'T missed your point; you've missed mine. Nor have I "rattled off" a bunch of hypothetical situations- on the contrary, the entire concept I'm talking about centers around being able to adapt to the game's dynamic.

You, on the other hand, are defending the validity of championing more "tangible" ideas like BO which are very much hypothetical situations based on a very specific set of circumstances that vary from game to game. Further, you're attacking me for discussing something you deem to be hypothetical, then go on to state that "discussing theory" is better ?

Finally, far from expressing my "ideal vision" of what tactics to execute in certain situations, what I'm describing should be applicable to most situations in most games.

Based on your posts replying to mine, I'm not even sure if you're serious anymore or if I'm being trolled.
23 Jan 2021, 16:10 PM

I HAVEN'T missed your point; you've missed mine. Nor have I "rattled off" a bunch of hypothetical situations- on the contrary, the entire concept I'm talking about centers around being able to adapt to the game's dynamic.

You, on the other hand, are defending the validity of championing more "tangible" ideas like BO which are very much hypothetical situations based on a very specific set of circumstances that vary from game to game. Further, you're attacking me for discussing something you deem to be hypothetical, then go on to state that "discussing theory" is better ?

Finally, far from expressing my "ideal vision" of what tactics to execute in certain situations, what I'm describing should be applicable to most situations in most games.

Based on your posts replying to mine, I'm not even sure if you're serious anymore or if I'm being trolled.

You didn't name a single: map, faction or position. The best you did was allude to a vague game state, I assume in a 2v2, where your teammates "sit there the entire game", I'm sure even by your standards, unless they are literally AFK, a gross generalization, what about that isn't hypothetical?

To adapt is only to change your behaviour to a new set of conditions. To win is to make accurate adaptations.

You suggest to players: "if you win an engagement, move." again, without posting an actual position or replay, what's for me to take what you say in absolutely poor faith? Perhaps your partner is "sitting there the entire game wondering why they're losing". when they have a Bofors, Mortar Pit and 17pdr on the opponents fuel and cutoff, or an otherwise advantageous position, while you're busy winning an engagement against a fire pit and then moving up into a Schwerer? and then you're telling them to move

Herein lies my problem: real adaptation means analyzing and making correct tactical choices, not oversimplfying: blindly moving, "aggressively" "dynamically" "adapatingly" or otherwise using a buzzword; what your post, if not just taken on it's face as rant, could be deemed as advocating.

Therefore:

I'm championing the discussion of theory, not in an ideas sense, or as random hypotheses but the actual established knowledge (what theory actually is) over generalized -beginner tips- as a better way to engage in thinking about the game and improving, because from my own experience in coaching and playing, what one person believes "should be applicable to most situations in most games." is untrue just by the nature of the game. There are very very very few things that players should do as a default without thinking, including build orders. TO BE CLEAR. Discussion on theory are not great either, but they are far more constructive than whatever this is...

It takes posting replays, analysis and being vulnerable and open to criticism to improve, and if players are not going to do that-- which is rare, and I don't blame them-- It's hard. Then the next best thing are theoretical discussions, knowing that a Rifle's M1 does 1.675 dmg vs. Volks' K98 1.506 without cover modifiers at maximum range is useful, important knowledge which players can draw on in game instead of getting confused or distracted by thinking about vague things like "the forums said I should adapt, move and be dynamic".
23 Jan 2021, 19:05 PM

You didn't name a single: map, faction or position. you are correct. that's the essence of promoting concepts that will serve you well in most situations. The best you did was allude to a vague game state, I assume in a 2v2, where your teammates "sit there the entire game", again correct, as indicated by the actual reference to teammates I'm sure even by your standards, an assumption on your part unless they are literally AFK, a gross generalization, what about that isn't hypothetical? you have repeatedly tried to insinuate that I'm NOT talking about hypotheticals, when in fact I am to document anything other than the hypothetical would be futile, which is my argument against your suggestion that it's more useful to study concrete build orders

To adapt is only to change your behaviour to a new set of conditions. agree To win is to make accurate adaptations. I'm sorry; I had assumed it was understood that most play to win. Silly me.

You suggest to players: "if you win an engagement, move." again, without posting an actual position or replay, what's for me to take what you say in absolutely poor faith? Perhaps your partner is "sitting there the entire game wondering why they're losing". when they have a Bofors, Mortar Pit and 17pdr on the opponents fuel and cutoff, or an otherwise advantageous position, arguably, if this is what they're doing, they're not helping us win. they're waiting to be hit with arty while you're busy winning an engagement against a fire pit and then moving up into a Schwerer? a possibility, yes. So ? I will then retreat, move other assets up, etc... the common denominator for which is movement and then you're telling them to move points and territory isn't taken by emplacements. it's taken by troops

Herein lies my problem: real adaptation with the goal of winning. fixed it for you means analyzing and making correct tactical choices, again, something I assumed most of us are interested in not oversimplfying oversimplifying, as you call it, allows the player to interpret the concept in the context of what is currently happening in their game. at this point in our dialogue, i thought I had made that clear: blindly moving, "aggressively" "dynamically" "adapatingly" or otherwise using a buzzword hmmmm...buzzword, or appropriate adjective?; what your post, if not just taken on it's face as rant I did in fact state that I was venting, could be deemed as advocating another assumption on your part.

Therefore:

I'm championing the discussion of theory, not in an ideas sense, or as random hypotheses but the actual established knowledge (what scientific theory actually is) over generalized -beginner tips- as a better way to engage in thinking about the game and improving this has a place in the evolution of a player, but not at the expense of what I'm talking about. This is not a zero sum equation, because from my own experience in coaching and playing, what one person believes "should be applicable to most situations in most games." is untrue just by the nature of the game you did see where I wrote "most" right ?. There are very very very few things that players should do as a default without thinking, including build orders this is true TO BE CLEAR. Discussion on theory are not great either, but they are far more constructive than whatever this is please reserve your condescension for whoever you're "coaching". you know very well what this is.

It takes posting replays, analysis and being vulnerable and open to criticism to improve, and if players are not going to do that-- which is rare, and I don't blame them-- It's hard. Then the next best thing are theoretical discussions, knowing that a Rifle's M1 does 1.675 dmg vs. Volks' K98 1.506 without cover modifiers at maximum range is useful, important knowledge which players can draw on in game instead of getting confused or distracted by thinking about vague things like "the forums said I should adapt, move and be dynamic" I see. So that I understand, it is LESS "confusing and distracting" to make rapid recollections about a massive list of numerical attributes than it is to remember to move advantageously. Got it.
24 Jan 2021, 03:57 AM

Again, you've misunderstood me. I know full well you're talking about hypothetical positions: promoting concepts which you think will serve players well in most situations.

That's why I don't like what you're doing, A. you're not being very precise, or clear what that actually means, 'cos it's impossible, and B:

With maybe the ideas of unit activity and unit preservation/building vet aside (even still, some of the most interesting games I've seen in the ML4 have hinged around trading units, a stupidly high level concept, so even that's arguable) no such thing exists; every position needs to be evaluated within the context of it's specific game state, and if you're not, you're doing no better than random theroycrafters.

Because what does it mean to move "advantageously", "dynamically" "aggressively" without addressing why, when or again-- actual positions in the game? Without that you're just venting and that's not good enough if you actually want to help players improve.

So again, if it wasn't clear for the third post I think promoting those concepts divorced from that are, if not an effort in futility, possibly actively harmful for player development; whereas knowing that without harassing my opponents fuel/cutoff a T70 will arrive ~7 mins in most builds, therefore I should be prepared to meet that threat, is a small piece of learning that they can get from the forums, those discussions do serve a purpose, that crap does matter.

Please, can you put your red text away?
24 Jan 2021, 16:51 PM

Again, you've misunderstood me. I know full well you're talking about hypothetical positions: promoting concepts which you think will serve players well in most situations.

That's why I don't like what you're doing, A. you're not being very precise, or clear what that actually means, 'cos it's impossible, and B:

With maybe the ideas of unit activity and unit preservation/building vet aside (even still, some of the most interesting games I've seen in the ML4 have hinged around trading units, a stupidly high level concept, so even that's arguable) no such thing exists; every position needs to be evaluated within the context of it's specific game state, and if you're not, you're doing no better than random theroycrafters.

Because what does it mean to move "advantageously", "dynamically" "aggressively" without addressing why, when or again-- actual positions in the game? Without that you're just venting and that's not good enough if you actually want to help players improve.

So again, if it wasn't clear for the third post I think promoting those concepts divorced from that are, if not an effort in futility, possibly actively harmful for player development; whereas knowing that without harassing my opponents fuel/cutoff a T70 will arrive ~7 mins in most builds, therefore I should be prepared to meet that threat, is a small piece of learning that they can get from the forums, those discussions do serve a purpose, that crap does matter.

Please, can you put your red text away?

The red text allows me to respond to your posts in a more organic way, but have it your way.

By definition, you CANNOT be precise with something like this. It is up to the player to understand the intent behind it, and use it to their advantage in-game. i.e: "Ok, I know I need to move to take territory. I know I should harass and bleed the enemy if possible. I know that if I am attacked at a defensive position, I can expect the enemy to come back better prepared to deal with my defensive position. Ergo, if I can use movement to any of those ends, I should". What I've just written should also address your statement about evaluating in the context of a specific game state.

This idea doesn't exist in a bubble, and I'm not suggesting that anyone should focus on the tactical at the expense of the strategic.

The military have a term called "commander's intent". In a nutshell, this means "here's what needs to happen. we have these tools/ assets to make it happen, and this is the general plan. if it all falls apart, you all know what need to happen so get it done." That's what I'm describing.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 42
unknown 14
unknown 9
Germany 20

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %