Login

russian armor

64 bit FPS

21 Jan 2021, 01:20 AM

for the nerdies, what are the technical reasons for the increase in minimum fps?

i noticed from task manager, 64bit is using 4 threads more constantly. could that be it?
22 Jan 2021, 04:46 AM

i have a R5 2600 and a rx 590 32 bit game was using a single thread and about 50% gpu on avg now its using 8 threads and about 85% gpu i have a massive improvement in avg and min fps
22 Jan 2021, 05:28 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jan 2021, 01:20 AMmrgame2
for the nerdies, what are the technical reasons for the increase in minimum fps?

I am curious what people think.

I never take the minimum number too serious. The PC is usually doing way more things than just playing Coh2. The game itself may doing weird things like caching textures or terrain, updating steam items, etc. Between Windows and Coh2 you are bound to get hiccups.

In the old days we would run tests at least twice. Windows may be caching things from the Hard Drive etc and the 2nd run was always a little better. Anti Virus software could be slowing things down as you read from disk also.

In the world they have a term for things that are reliable and will work exactly the same all the time: deterministic. Things like PLCs, Real-Time OS, etc. Windows is NOT deterministic. You cant rely on it to ever do the same thing twice.
Vaz
22 Jan 2021, 10:08 AM

I figured there was some kind of caching or swapping going on with memory management. Also, if I'm not mistaken windows uses some kind of emulator to make 32bit programs run on 64 bit windows, which means that entire layer is eliminated. All processing for the game should be completed in much less cycles, considering the 64 bit processing now handles twice as much per clock cycle(this is only things that were handled by the cpu, not the gpu). The caching and memory management would be the most important because all of our memory spaces were limited to 4GB for the game, even if our system had more and the game wanted more.
24 Jan 2021, 21:08 PM

I have a weird problem since 64 bit. My CPU is overheating after some time playing.

Despite pretty solid spec, high frame rates and a water cooled CPU.

I spectated a 4v4 earlier and CPU didnt go above 50-55 degrees ish.

But when I play 2v2s, at some point my PC will hard reboot, showing higher temps and it doesnt do it with side of case left off.

Cant figure out why overheating when it should handle coh no problem.

i7
GTX 1070
32 GB ram.
25 Jan 2021, 10:10 AM

I have a weird problem since 64 bit. My CPU is overheating after some time playing.

Despite pretty solid spec, high frame rates and a water cooled CPU.

I spectated a 4v4 earlier and CPU didnt go above 50-55 degrees ish.

But when I play 2v2s, at some point my PC will hard reboot, showing higher temps and it doesnt do it with side of case left off.

Cant figure out why overheating when it should handle coh no problem.

i7
GTX 1070
32 GB ram.

First of all, test it in the most demanding game you have. If it overheats there, then you need a repaste. If not, then we can discuss the real culprit.
25 Jan 2021, 16:32 PM

Thank for the reply, but I have to confess, the culprit was the CPU heatsink was full of dust lol. Its just I only really play COH, and it wasnt an issue until 64 bit started creating a bit more heat which resulted in overheating. My heatsink is a bit of a faff to get to, which is why it went neglected for a while.

CPU idles sub 30 now.
25 Jan 2021, 16:39 PM

Thank for the reply, but I have to confess, the culprit was the CPU heatsink was full of dust lol. Its just I only really play COH, and it wasnt an issue until 64 bit started creating a bit more heat which resulted in overheating. My heatsink is a bit of a faff to get to, which is why it went neglected for a while.

CPU idles sub 30 now.

Glad to hear you sorted it out. Generally, the 64 bit update obviously introduced some new and reworked low level code so better CPU utilization (more heat ofc) should be expected, however, almost always, the culprit will be the dried out paste or clogged sinks.
26 Jan 2021, 08:03 AM

I've repasted my cpu/sink with good results before, not a bad suggestion.

Even did it to my ps4pro during our lockdown last April and the UI was snappier.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 32
Peru 18
United Kingdom 46
unknown 4
United States 1
United States 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W