Login

russian armor

[Winter Balance Update] SOV Feedback

• This thread is locked
PAGES (66)down
18 Dec 2020, 11:37 AM

If ram can only be done at 50% hp it wont hit the tank, it will be dead before it hits.
Now if rams always gives you a nearly full refund that would be intetesting lol.

The ability was always meant to be a last resort instead of the first choice.

Even so one can still move the T-34/76 in ram position with full hp and wait for HP to drop to use the ability. That give opponent more time to react to the cheese ram/off map combo.
18 Dec 2020, 11:44 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Dec 2020, 11:37 AMVipper

The ability was always meant to be a last resort instead of the first choice.

Even so one can still move the T-34/76 in ram position with full hp and wait for HP to drop to use the ability. That give opponent more time to react to the cheese ram/off map combo.

No need to come up with excuses where there are none. The ram was originally conceived as a countermeasure for the Tigers and Elephants, and at some points in time it was the only countermeasure against them. Ram + ML-20. Let's make it so that for example smoke from tanks (German smoke grenades, Sherman smoke mine, Cromwell smoke projectile) can only be used with 50% HP, and your excuse will be perfect to justify this - The ability was always meant to be a last resort instead of the first choice.
18 Dec 2020, 11:47 AM

No need to come up with excuses where there are none. The ram was originally conceived as a countermeasure for the Tigers and Elephants, and at some points in time it was the only countermeasure against them.
Ram + ML-20. Let's make it so that for example smoke from tanks (German smoke grenades, Sherman smoke mine, Cromwell smoke projectile) can only be used with 50% HP, and your excuse will be perfect to justify this - The ability was always meant to be a last resort instead of the first choice.

Nope that is incorrect.

Patch notes:

"Ram

Currently, ram is being used as a crowd control measure to disable other vehicles. The intent isn’t for a full health T34 to ram other vehicles; instead, ram should be used when the T34 is near death to highlight its usage as a last resort type ability.
18 Dec 2020, 11:50 AM

No need to come up with excuses where there are none. The ram was originally conceived as a countermeasure for the Tigers and Elephants, and at some points, in time it was the only countermeasure against them. Ram + ML-20. Let's make it so that for example smoke from tanks (German smoke grenades, Sherman smoke mine, Cromwell smoke projectile) can only be used with 50% HP, and your excuse will be perfect to justify this - The ability was always meant to be a last resort instead of the first choice.

That was exactly the case, but in my opinion, it's better to keep away from any intended game design of CoH before 2016. The first few years of the game was really weird and totally messed up.
18 Dec 2020, 11:54 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Dec 2020, 11:47 AMVipper

Nope that is incorrect.

Patch notes:

"Ram

Currently, ram is being used as a crowd control measure to disable other vehicles. The intent isn’t for a full health T34 to ram other vehicles; instead, ram should be used when the T34 is near death to highlight its usage as a last resort type ability.

Currently, this is the time that tries to justify ridiculous changes, for example I have a T-34 and I fully understand that he is dead, but I have 51% health. There are AT weapons around and I want to ram because the only logical move, but I can't do it, I have to wait for even more damage to him. All that will do this change is the lazy removal of the ability from the game. Instead in to do some serious work with the T-34-76 and T-34-85 abilities.
18 Dec 2020, 12:02 PM

Currently, this is the time that tries to justify ridiculous changes, for example I have a T-34 and I fully understand that he is dead, but I have 51% health. There are AT weapons around and I want to ram because the only logical move, but I can't do it, I have to wait for even more damage to him.

Yes there are some hypothetical scenario that it going to be difficult to use. The fact remain that the ability was always meant to be a last resort instead of a "A there is tiger let me built a T-34/76 so I can rem it and finish it of with off map. That was simply not the design of the ability

All that will do this change is the lazy removal of the ability from the game. Mixed in to do some serious work with the T-34-76 and T-34-85 abilities.

T-34/76 was meant to be a flanker tank and that is why it penetration is increased with range more than other units.

Now T-34 might or might need adjustments but that is irrelevant to ram+off map combo.
18 Dec 2020, 12:11 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Dec 2020, 12:02 PMVipper

Yes there are some hypothetical scenario that it going to be difficult to use. The fact remain that the ability was always meant to be a last resort instead of a "A there is tiger let me built a T-34/76 so I can rem it and finish it of with off map. That was simply not the design of the ability

T-34/76 was meant to be a flanker tank and that is why it penetration is increased with range more than other units.

Now T-34 might or might need adjustments but that is irrelevant to ram+off map combo.

always? I think you are deeply mistaken here. Elephant was originally in T4, and I remember that from the Alpha test. And the T-34 with Ram was an obvious countermeasure for the Elephant from the start, so this ability was originally conceived as a countermeasure for heavy tanks, there were changes, but Ram remained, there have been even deeper changes, but Ram is still here, and this ability is a rudiment for current gameplay and must be removed.
18 Dec 2020, 12:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Dec 2020, 09:17 AMVipper

Well that goes both way since soviet doctrinal units are available in most commander and are extremely cost efficient.

If one want to get rid the "design leftover" one will also have to reduce the number of commander these unit are available and power of those units....

then nerf the doctrinal shit and buff the core soviet army...
18 Dec 2020, 12:44 PM

always? I think you are deeply mistaken here. Elephant was originally in T4, and I remember that from the Alpha test. And the T-34 with Ram was an obvious countermeasure for the Elephant from the start, so this ability was originally conceived as a countermeasure for heavy tanks, there were changes, but Ram remained, there have been even deeper changes, but Ram is still here, and this ability is a rudiment for current gameplay and must be removed.

It plain and clear it patch-notes read it again:

"The intent isn’t for a full health T34 to ram other vehicles; instead, ram should be used when the T34 is near death to highlight its usage as a last resort type ability."
18 Dec 2020, 12:44 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Dec 2020, 12:22 PMgbem

You do not have to argue with me but with mod team. I am simply pointing out facts.
18 Dec 2020, 12:47 PM

What "doctrinal shit"? I don't see anyone use Shocks much in 1v1 and Guards Airbourne see very little play as well, even despite their doctrine being popular. Standard Guards are the only doctrinal infantry that is being used right now, but even those are usually just a specific tech choice rather than key parts to any meta build. They are decent, but by no means overly powerful or anything. They don't melt infantry and perform well only at certain ranges.

The reason why people don't use elite Soviet infantry much is actually pretty simple – to avoid the same issues some other factions face in late game, which is lack of snares around the map and manpower bleed when explosive damage replaces small arms as a main source of casualties.

No, SOV call-ins don't need nerfs and core infantry also doesn't need buffs, except for Penals and perhaps T34/76 timing, of course. But what the faction certainly doesn't need is nerfs to the core army.
18 Dec 2020, 13:32 PM

I actually agree with this.

It's mostly the strong doctrinal units and abilities that are the real issue with the Soviets and their late-game. Slightly toning down the meta doctrines would be a good step.

Then the core Soviet units could be buffed a bit to compensate.

18 Dec 2020, 13:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Dec 2020, 12:47 PMDharx

What "doctrinal shit"? I don't see anyone use Shocks much in 1v1

Shocks, ISU, KV2, T34/85, AT overwatch, IL2 AT strafe, etc.

Shocks especially are a bit too strong overall IMO.

The problem with Soviet doctrines is also how stacked they are. Why do the ISU doctrines have so much strong stuff in them like Shocks, Guards, Mark Target, Il2. Just too much for one single doctrine. Or Urban Defence with Forward HQ, Shocks, Mini-AT, KV2 and booby traps.
18 Dec 2020, 13:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Dec 2020, 12:02 PMVipper

It was actually the exact design of the ability. Old soviets had to choose between SU85 tech or T34/76 tech. If you went the latter, you had to ram tanks and hope for the best to counter axis heavies.
18 Dec 2020, 13:42 PM

Shocks, ISU, KV2, T34/85, AT overwatch, IL2 AT strafe, etc.

Shocks especially are a bit too strong overall IMO.

The problem with Soviet doctrines is also how stacked they are. Why do the ISU doctrines have so much strong stuff in them like Shocks, Guards, Mark Target, Il2. Just too much for one single doctrine. Or Urban Defence with Forward HQ, Shocks, Mini-AT, KV2 and booby traps.

Yeah, if case of abilities in general it makes sense, but this debate originally stemmed from comments about SOV call-in infantry.

But in general I've had it the otehr way around, I've always disliked doctrines where you use only one or two abilities or if the abilities lack snyergy. But I guess some specific abilities could be decouples, like ISU + mark target and off-maps. That's probably mostly large team game issue, I don't play those much.
18 Dec 2020, 13:45 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Dec 2020, 09:22 AMVipper

soviet already got their other counter improved like PTRS Penals and SU-76.

currently in live version WRONG.

PTRS never effective against vehicle that heavier than puma.
SU-76 nope. even 222 can flank and kill it. 3 shot from pz iv will kill it.
plus Su-76 shot like to bounced off.
18 Dec 2020, 13:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Dec 2020, 12:44 PMVipper

It plain and clear it patch-notes read it again:

"The intent isn’t for a full health T34 to ram other vehicles; instead, ram should be used when the T34 is near death to highlight its usage as a last resort type ability."

Yes, yes, make excuses. Only here this last resort is decided only by me here. Because there are cases when 100% HP of the tank is already guaranteed to be dead or this ram is the last hope to stop the attack. So all these post notes are nothing more than excuses for impotence.

Only the player must decide when the last resort is here, and what are the conditions for the ability to work, this is one of the dumbest decisions I've seen.
18 Dec 2020, 14:23 PM

It was actually the exact design of the ability. Old soviets had to choose between SU85 tech or T34/76 tech. If you went the latter, you had to ram tanks and hope for the best to counter axis heavies.

Once more it there in patch notes in black and white.

PAGES (66)down
2 users are browsing this thread: 2 guests

Livestreams

New Zealand 76

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment