Login

russian armor

The direction of balance.

9 Aug 2020, 06:35 AM

To be fair, the T-34 ram + IL2 is a very high risk, high reward combo. Its going to be a huge swing either way.

To be honest maybe in low level :(, in high level play with combine arms tactic unless the T34 hit a mine ( Which usually get cancel by Minesweeper moving along ) they will ram you and tada 200 muni going away!! When you lost your Elefant the ISU-152 will start blasting those HE round and your infantry start dying like flies :(

Also, all of the 3 commanders have extra long range TD already, they should NOT have something that capable of destroy enemies arty in the same commander! I might be an elefant user but I still think that stuka bomb drop SHOULD NOT be in the same commander!
9 Aug 2020, 08:39 AM

Just make ram damage dealer, not a crit dealer. Simple. You just shouldn't use ram as a snare - it is against game design. It should just allow t-34 to damage the tanks t34 can't penetrate. Don't change commanders as it is a dead-end-road. Change the real culprit here.
9 Aug 2020, 08:49 AM

Just make ram damage dealer

That's quite a good idea +1.

Could be absolutely lethal still, but it's going to require more combined arms effort than simply click ram from a flank then click bomb drop.
9 Aug 2020, 09:26 AM

That's quite a good idea +1.

Could be absolutely lethal still, but it's going to require more combined arms effort than simply click ram from a flank then click bomb drop.

Thx. Would be used as a last blow to finish off the tank rather than the first. Infantry should snare stuff as they are simply slower (Soviets have hoorah anyway). It could give damage equal to a pak shot that always penetrates. T34 would get a 100% crit afterwards. The receiving tank could have some chance for a crit but no more than 50% so that the Soviet player won't assume the crit will always be there.
9 Aug 2020, 09:54 AM

Just make ram damage dealer, not a crit dealer. Simple. You just shouldn't use ram as a snare - it is against game design. It should just allow t-34 to damage the tanks t34 can't penetrate. Don't change commanders as it is a dead-end-road. Change the real culprit here.

Better replace ram on another ability, because ability that kill your armor - against game design. Really it's the only one ability in the game that completely go against rule "save your units". T-34 not goliaths. In coh you ALWAYS need to save your units.
9 Aug 2020, 10:16 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Aug 2020, 09:54 AMMaret

Better replace ram on another ability, because ability that kill your armor - against game design. Really it's the only one ability in the game that completely go against rule "save your units". T-34 not goliaths. In coh you ALWAYS need to save your units.

But if you timed such ability right you would make Ur opponent lose a much more expensive tank. Also Your t34 could be always repaired if U are lucky.
9 Aug 2020, 10:45 AM

But if you timed such ability right you would make Ur opponent lose a much more expensive tank. Also Your t34 could be always repaired if U are lucky.

You can count on your fingers how often you repaired your own T-34 after succesfull ramming. With broken gun, disabled tracks adn engine - 99% cases t-34 will be dead. The most real case - you are rammed enemy armor on your own base, or near. Than you have chances.
And again - how Ram fit to gamedesign "Save your units"?
9 Aug 2020, 10:53 AM

I understand position of axis players, especially in team-games this issue become very clear. Ram could be ability in some commanders, like OKW HEAT rounds or OH Tactician smoke. But for god sake, replace cap point and ram on something usefull ability that encourage players save their T-34 and not drop them in suicidal attacks.

9 Aug 2020, 10:54 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Aug 2020, 10:45 AMMaret

You can count on your fingers how often you repaired your own T-34 after succesfull ramming. With broken gun, disabled tracks adn engine - 99% cases t-34 will be dead. The most real case - you are rammed enemy armor on your own base, or near. Than you have chances.
And again - how Ram fit to gamedesign "Save your units"?

To me it a really cool ability adding really nice flavour to the game. It would be a shame to lose it.

I'd give 50% chance to deal additional main gun crit if it attacked from the front or 50% chance crit engine if it rammed the enemy from the rear. Vet t34 would get 18% more chance for crits for every vet level.
9 Aug 2020, 11:25 AM

To me it a really cool ability adding really nice flavour to the game. It would be a shame to lose it.

I'd give 50% chance to deal additional main gun crit if it attacked from the front or 50% chance crit engine if it rammed the enemy from the rear. Vet t34 would get 18% more chance for crits for every vet level.

Put it in some commaders and ability will stay in game. Like tactician smoke and heat rounds. But suicidal ability for default - bad gamedesign.
9 Aug 2020, 11:28 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Aug 2020, 11:25 AMMaret

Put it in some commaders and ability will stay in game. Like tactician smoke and heat rounds. But suicidal ability for default - bad gamedesign.

That would probably make sense too tbh.
9 Aug 2020, 11:46 AM

You could increase the damage, bit reduce the crit chance, makes it more combined arms, and less ram + bomb strike.

It's not case that game is ALWAYS about saving units. Sometimes it's worth building 222 just to go spot something for an arty drop, like Howie for example, esspecially if your near pop cap with excess resources. Sometimes it's even worth diving a panther if your going to kill multiple arty units before losing the panther.

The only real mechanic is making sure your resources drain the enemies more than your own, usually that means preservation, but not always.
9 Aug 2020, 12:55 PM

You could increase the damage, bit reduce the crit chance, makes it more combined arms, and less ram + bomb strike.

It's not case that game is ALWAYS about saving units. Sometimes it's worth building 222 just to go spot something for an arty drop, like Howie for example, esspecially if your near pop cap with excess resources. Sometimes it's even worth diving a panther if your going to kill multiple arty units before losing the panther.

The only real mechanic is making sure your resources drain the enemies more than your own, usually that means preservation, but not always.

That is exactly what should be done. The damage inflicted could be toyed with; could depend whether it is a front/rear ram, could depend on veterancy of the t34. Just it shouldn't be a snare.
9 Aug 2020, 14:22 PM

How much cost 222? Diving panther good example, but i can too use diving t-34 to kill multiple werfers or wstuaks and it will be good trade. But we are speak about tankd battles. You never use Ram against werfer or wstuka.

Ram is more usefull now as Ram+offmap (il-2 bombs or rocket strafe), because of stun. If you just remove stuns it will be dead ability. I couldn't imagine how you want to play with damage. It already do 160 damage.

Replace this ability on another will be the best solution. While put Ram in some commanders, to make them more attractive for peoples who like ramming. Problem solved. Who want Ram - choose commander and Axis player always be know that Ram could be real. Like you always aware about goliaths and falls, when OKW choose such commander.

9 Aug 2020, 14:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Aug 2020, 10:53 AMMaret
I understand position of axis players, especially in team-games this issue become very clear. Ram could be ability in some commanders, like OKW HEAT rounds or OH Tactician smoke. But for god sake, replace cap point and ram on something usefull ability that encourage players save their T-34 and not drop them in suicidal attacks.

Ram as a doctrinal ability is an awful idea because the very nature of the ability is to not use it. It's opportunity based not something you build around, this is in part why rapid conscription and relief infantry are so hard to make useful.

As for cap it actually makes sense on t34s as since they are supposed to be numerous it helps widen soviet map control.
9 Aug 2020, 16:57 PM

Ram as a doctrinal ability is an awful idea because the very nature of the ability is to not use it. It's opportunity based not something you build around, this is in part why rapid conscription and relief infantry are so hard to make useful.

As for cap it actually makes sense on t34s as since they are supposed to be numerous it helps widen soviet map control.

If no one will be used this ability in special doctrines, it means that ability is badly designed. Right now we are already see bunch of posts about Il-2+Ram. The real answer about this ability - "the very nature of the ability is to not use it". I want that t-34 have good vet1 ability to use. Not cap point, not this awfull Ram that used once in blue moon. Why such powerfull vet1 ability as cap point almost never used? WHile blitz, almost every game. There are situational abilities, like Merge, Tactical assault, Smoke shot from Cromwell. They are good. WHile cap point is useless. Ram is almost useless if you don't have special commanders with offmaps. I saw numerous games on Dane channel - all players try to save their T-34, even when its health only 160 hp. Ram is so narrow ability outside some commanders, that compare to blitz or smoke from usf, looks like statistical misscalculation.
And i even don't speak about T-34/85. Who in sane would be use Ram for it? Or cap point?

I made for initial post about T-34 Ram some research and then drop it. But you can look on some statistic (only 13 from 20 games). I tried choose games where soviets build more than 1 t-34:

Some info:
Success Ram - enemy armor was hitted by ram from T-34
Failed Ram - T-34 died while trying to do ram

Success Blitz - armor make successful escape from battle while blitz active or blitz wasn't interrupted by snare.
Failed blitz - blitz was interrupted by snare or armor died while blitz was active.

9 Aug 2020, 18:34 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Aug 2020, 16:57 PMMaret

If no one will be used this ability in special doctrines, it means that ability is badly designed. Right now we are already see bunch of posts about Il-2+Ram. The real answer about this ability - "the very nature of the ability is to not use it". I want that t-34 have good vet1 ability to use. Not cap point, not this awfull Ram that used once in blue moon. Why such powerfull vet1 ability as cap point almost never used? WHile blitz, almost every game. There are situational abilities, like Merge, Tactical assault, Smoke shot from Cromwell. They are good. WHile cap point is useless. Ram is almost useless if you don't have special commanders with offmaps. I saw numerous games on Dane channel - all players try to save their T-34, even when its health only 160 hp. Ram is so narrow ability outside some commanders, that compare to blitz or smoke from usf, looks like statistical misscalculation.
And i even don't speak about T-34/85. Who in sane would be use Ram for it? Or cap point?

I made for initial post about T-34 Ram some research and then drop it. But you can look on some statistic (only 13 from 20 games). I tried choose games where soviets build more than 1 t-34:

Some info:
Success Ram - enemy armor was hitted by ram from T-34
Failed Ram - T-34 died while trying to do ram

Success Blitz - armor make successful escape from battle while blitz active or blitz wasn't interrupted by snare.
Failed blitz - blitz was interrupted by snare or armor died while blitz was active.

its a bad DOCTRINAL ability not a bad ability. its a bad doctrinal ability because its not something you build around, its something that comes up for you to take advantage of. right now to ram you need a t34 you are willing to lose, it being in range and a target. add another layer of variable like having the commander in your load out and chosen as well for what might be a once used all game ability does not make sense. and you do not need an off map to take advantage of ram. a ram can mean your su85 getting another shot off or delaying an enemy tank enough for your ptrs penals to get into satchel range. its a rather felaxible ability all in all frankly though id preffer it to be a skill shot that you aim instead of a homing ability so it can be used and dodged a bit better.

as for the rest of the rambling about other tanks abilities and stuff, im not entirely sure what point you were trying to make so i cant properly respond to it... but cap terretory is plenty useful and can make a game. it also adds versatility to the t34. i have won games or at least delayed my loss by getting in with that cap territory . it suits the unit quite well as a part of the bigger picture despite its otherwise expendable nature and meh stats (aside from that great hull mg)
9 Aug 2020, 19:11 PM

its a bad DOCTRINAL ability not a bad ability. its a bad doctrinal ability because its not something you build around, its something that comes up for you to take advantage of. right now to ram you need a t34 you are willing to lose, it being in range and a target. add another layer of variable like having the commander in your load out and chosen as well for what might be a once used all game ability does not make sense. and you do not need an off map to take advantage of ram. a ram can mean your su85 getting another shot off or delaying an enemy tank enough for your ptrs penals to get into satchel range. its a rather felaxible ability all in all frankly though id preffer it to be a skill shot that you aim instead of a homing ability so it can be used and dodged a bit better.

as for the rest of the rambling about other tanks abilities and stuff, im not entirely sure what point you were trying to make so i cant properly respond to it... but cap terretory is plenty useful and can make a game. it also adds versatility to the t34. i have won games or at least delayed my loss by getting in with that cap territory . it suits the unit quite well as a part of the bigger picture despite its otherwise expendable nature and meh stats (aside from that great hull mg)

About cap territory - from those 13 games NO ONE used cap territory, ever ONCE. I also had games when i ONCE used cap teritorry for t-34. It make this ability usefull on mediums? I also saw the game when kv-2 with cap territory won the game, it make cap territory usefull on heavies? But know in which unit i use cap territory more often? T-70. For light recon tank cap point - good fit to design. For main medium tank - not. I already spoke - cap territory on all soviets armor was part of initial gamedisgn WITH frost system. When SU armor could cap point while blizzard is going. Flare mines on almost every soviet infantry in past had the same nature - they gave vision in blizzard. Some parts of initial "frost" design are gone now, some not.
About Ram - why for Ram i need off-map, or another AT support? While other abilities make other mediums self-sufficient? Someone could answer - because soviets it's all about combined arms and t-34 is cheap, disposable, numerous tank. But combined arms don't mean that you must sacrifice your units - units must support one each other and through this support become stronger together. Not one die and other make his job.
T-34 is cheap? disposable tank? Relatively. 90 fuel against 120 and t-34 could be build only in top-tier. If someone want emphasize this part of their nature, much better make ability that scales from numbers of t-34 like USF "Radio net" on shermans is works.
10 Aug 2020, 05:58 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Aug 2020, 19:11 PMMaret

About cap territory - from those 13 games NO ONE used cap territory, ever ONCE. I also had games when i ONCE used cap teritorry for t-34. It make this ability usefull on mediums? I also saw the game when kv-2 with cap territory won the game, it make cap territory usefull on heavies? But know in which unit i use cap territory more often? T-70. For light recon tank cap point - good fit to design. For main medium tank - not. I already spoke - cap territory on all soviets armor was part of initial gamedisgn WITH frost system. When SU armor could cap point while blizzard is going. Flare mines on almost every soviet infantry in past had the same nature - they gave vision in blizzard. Some parts of initial "frost" design are gone now, some not.

Cap territory isn't an amazing ability but it does see plenty of use even at my level. Hell, I use it at least once in any game I have a vet T-34.
10 Aug 2020, 06:39 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Aug 2020, 05:58 AMSerrith

Cap territory isn't an amazing ability but it does see plenty of use even at my level. Hell, I use it at least once in any game I have a vet T-34.

It have very narrow usage, like medkit for grens (in theory good like capping for t-34, on practice...). You can watch any tournament games (or just look 20+ games in row on Dane channel with soviets and count how many times you will see it) - againts equal opponent no one will be use tank for capping. When i play against low skill enemy, i can use cap too. But i already said - cap point for t-34 is legacy of olf "frost" system and it must be gone. All new factions like USF, OKW and UKF were made without "frost" system design. Only OH and SU have rudiments of this system.

Why every other faction have good, usefull in every game abilities for their main medium while soviets not?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★