Login

russian armor

Burnout and Dealing with RNG Frustration

8 Jul 2020, 13:31 PM

Imo you have combined 2 separate issues into one, lag and RNG.
8 Jul 2020, 14:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Jul 2020, 13:31 PMVipper

Imo you have combined 2 separate issues into one, lag and RNG.

Perhaps. No one knows except Relic.

My point is to the original post: YOU CANT TAKE THIS GAME SERIOUSLY OR IT WILL BE BAD FOR YOUR HEALTH.

That is how I deal with RNG frustration.

Lets make a list:
1) Coded RNG rolls. Misses, planes, decrew, etc.
2) Faction pick.
3) Map balance.
4) Map Spawn.
5) Did you go right or did you go left? Right=win, Left=loss.
6) Server lag where your units are not working correctly.
7) Server lag where you cant dodge grenades,retreat, etc
8) Bugs where your units just refuse to shoot at the enemy.
9) Build order.

None of these are in your control.

Good players can make educated guesses at faction pick. And maybe tweak their play for map balance and spawn.

With all of these going against you, I see no reason to ever expect the better player will win.

If the better player always wins then why play BEST OF FIVE matches? One game would decide it.
8 Jul 2020, 14:25 PM

1) Coded RNG rolls. Misses, planes, decrew, etc.

I will simply stand at this point.

I actually like the pretense of RNG. For me one has to follow the flow of battle and adapt instead of throwing units mindlessly like in AOE.

So for me the question is more about how much RNG and if there should be RNG or not.

Planes eliminating whole armies on crush was too much and bad.

Having a chance to miss or bounce is good RNG. Else there would be little reason to have accuracy in first place or armor and penetration.
8 Jul 2020, 16:37 PM

Game is full of RNG and ca. every 3rd game is cancer. Anti-tank-guns shooting ground every 2nd shot or only gunners die in squads.

Over all, game is balanced to compensate bad stats by RNG. If you look into game-stats (mod-tool) this game isn't made well and many factors are only RNG. ^^ Edit: Fixing RNG needs nearly everything to be changed, so it will never be... maybe if they started 3 years ago or so.
8 Jul 2020, 16:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Jul 2020, 14:25 PMVipper

I actually like the pretense of RNG. For me one has to follow the flow of battle and adapt instead of throwing units mindlessly like in AOE.

So for me the question is more about how much RNG and if there should be RNG or not.

Yes this whole conversation has gone way off the rails so I dont expect everyone to read and remember all of it.

I think we all agree that RNG is a good thing in the game. It is what gives it life and replay ability.

The question is how to mentally deal with it. For me it is harder than most, because I seem to get a lot more weird/buggy stuff happening than most everyone I watch or play with. And I dont even care if I win or lose. I just want to play and get decent games. And sometimes that is just asking too much.
8 Jul 2020, 21:03 PM

I disagree with RNG. There are lots of games without RNG that have high replayabilty. Starcraft- I played over 4.5k games and I'm in master league.
Aoe sucks imo. Just too slow and repetitive.
Dota and other mobas...smite, LoL. No rng but look how many people play. Actually way more than coh2.
https://www.reddit.com/r/TrueDoTA2/comments/4626se/how_do_you_feel_about_rng_in_dota_2/
Well some RNG but its minor.

Other games I don't get the rage I do in Coh2. This is cause you don't have enough manpower in this game and losing anything is very costly.

I so wish they would release a coh3 that fixes all the problems and gives us a polished game and doesn't stray too far from the core game. Coh2 is an unfinished work imo.

The only way I can deal with the rage is to quit and start a new dice roll..I mean game. This game is so luck based its funny. I think the manpower and other resource rates need to be faster. This will alleviate the pain of losing critical units and not being able to build the right units to deal with a situation. Also the pop cap is too low. I always reach it and I still don't have the right squad to do effective dmg without losing models.

Team games are different as most people will choose one lane and stick to it. I think the economy rate is better suited there. 1v1 its too spread out and too many flanking maneuvers.

They really need to fix the smoothness of the game. Sometimes I get dizzy or put in a trance because how slow the game can get. Other games like AOE, dota or sc2 are always smooth and I don't feel this way.
8 Jul 2020, 21:20 PM

Yes this whole conversation has gone way off the rails so I dont expect everyone to read and remember all of it.

I think we all agree that RNG is a good thing in the game. It is what gives it life and replay ability.

The question is how to mentally deal with it. For me it is harder than most, because I seem to get a lot more weird/buggy stuff happening than most everyone I watch or play with. And I dont even care if I win or lose. I just want to play and get decent games. And sometimes that is just asking too much.

Well I can think of two possibilities:

A) You broke a mirror and now you have bad luck for seven years

B) You suffer from observation bias and believe you have bad luck you only register events that suit you perspective.
11 Jul 2020, 00:25 AM

The best part is when your 4man gren squad faces a 4man infantry section and infantry section snipes a model while you both squads try to get to cover.
Cause moving accuracy buffed last part.

This tilts me good.
11 Jul 2020, 06:58 AM

The best part is when your 4man gren squad faces a 4man infantry section and infantry section snipes a model while you both squads try to get to cover.
Cause moving accuracy buffed last part.

This tilts me good.

You know what's even better part?
That grens have higher chance to snipe tommies model then tommies grens, because grens need 5 hits and tommies need 7 and they fire slower out of cover.
11 Jul 2020, 07:47 AM
Donator 22

The most honest way is probably realizing that in 90% of the cases when you attribute a screwed up game to bad RNG, it was actually yourself that made bad decisions.

Exactly this.
As long as you keep blaming the game for losses it will stay frustrating forever.

this might be a bit over the top, but may it helps:
"Take responsibility for your troops as if you were an army commander. You cannot save them from everything. Do what you can."
11 Jul 2020, 14:07 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Jul 2020, 06:58 AMKatitof

You know what's even better part?
That grens have higher chance to snipe tommies model then tommies grens, because grens need 5 hits and tommies need 7 and they fire slower out of cover.

Have U just suggested that infantry sections are worse than grenadiers?
11 Jul 2020, 14:12 PM

Have U just suggested that infantry sections are worse than grenadiers?

https://www.universalclass.com/i/course/reading-comprehension-101.htm

You're welcome.
11 Jul 2020, 15:02 PM
11 Jul 2020, 17:33 PM

I believe rosbone when he says his game is lagging
Lag is dumb. I don’t have problems with lag, but that is because I am lucky to have good internet.

Unfortunately we don’t have any solutions because Lelic/SEGA won’t pay for better servers at this point in the games lifecycle.

Unfortunately Rosbone is being :hansREKT: by his internet/servers.
11 Jul 2020, 18:34 PM

I believe we are all being :hansREKT: by this game LOL
2 users are browsing this thread: 2 guests

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight